Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Beware I just got conned on ebay

Getting ur money back is easy, don't worry bro..sometimes what people do is that they sell their eBay accounts to other people, so it's not good to judge only by feedback, always talk to the seller before buying to judge if he's a scammer

its called use a credit card and not paypal balance as a buyer (cc will refund you on ripoffs) and onlcy ship to addresses on paypal payment when paypal says "eligible" for seller protection

im shocked to see how many people (even friends here) who fall for the ship to my son in philippines, or pay by western union scams

sorry to hear what he did to you. Gimme his address Ill go and show him whats up, I live close to GA.

let us know the end result to this case! i'm very curious and hope justice is served.

iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rivryan View Post
    let us know the end result to this case! i'm very curious and hope justice is served.
    Just got refunded by the bank, so cheers to them as I suppose the money were taken from his account! Anyways the guy has told me that he went to the post office to start an insurance claim and will let me know in 5 days... I'm curious to see what he is going to say next...

Quote Originally Posted by slavipz View Post
    Just got refunded by the bank, so cheers to them as I suppose the money were taken from his account! Anyways the guy has told me that he went to the post office to start an insurance claim and will let me know in 5 days... I'm curious to see what he is going to say next...
    Great news!!!! Good for you!!!

You mentioned you paid with a credit card. Did you pay him through Paypal or how did you go about paymemt?

iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allanes5 View Post
    Great news!!!! Good for you!!!

You mentioned you paid with a credit card. Did you pay him through Paypal or how did you go about paymemt?
    I have paid via paypal, but with a registered in Paypal Visa Debit... I have filed a complaint in the bank regarding this transaction, and one week later i got a text saying that the amount has been refunded to my account.

This is precisely the reason that "face to face" sites like Craigslist flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredBilly View Post
    This is precisely the reason that "face to face" sites like Craigslist flourish.
    Ya once murder rates go up they wont flourish much anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Or the blackmailing or finding places to rob or buying hookers or being robbed.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

[quote=slavipz;5388324]Hey, just wanted to let you all know what happened to me on ebay, so you must all be very careful. I have bought this item: New Factory Sealed iPhone 4 4G 16GB Black UNLOCKED - eBay (item 130415998567 end time Jul-31-10 09:01:22 PDT) for 925 USD and today I have received the item. However the box was sized as a REGULAR Iphone box., but it was full of nothing but paper!!! The guy selling the item is with Seller's ID: urbanmomma and real name Chris Steinbart, The seller has a rating of 1250 so I paid with confidence. I have opened a case with ebay to see what are they going to do about as they are advertising the I'm fully covered as a buyer. However i really want this guy to be dead. I really

Well I ran into this a long time ago and I hope things have changed.

The claim was not mine but I had privy to the information.

Purchase was made on ebay and paid for through Paypal.

Basically same situation you are in.

Back then they only way to open a case was on PayPal.

My friend did this and all the sell had to do was prove that he sent my friend a package, like delivery conformation.

The seller did that and what was in the box amounted to about the same thing your's had.

My friend got nothing as the seller had proof that he sent the buyer something and had a delivery conformation.

It really sucked and I do know this that ebay has changed since then and I REALLY hope you get your justice.

I think his item was only less that $50 but its nothing like yours and to be honest with you the seller you purchased the item form had 1250 Positive rating and not negative feedback's and I would have got screwed here my self as when I purchase anything on ebay I check out not the positive but the negative feedback's as you can get a better idea who you are dealing with.

Don't give up.

And I hope you win the case.

On another note request his contact information from ebay! You can contact the Prosecuting attorney in his county and they will check this out!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxyBoii2K10 View Post
    dont mean to be harsh, but who would be selling a REAL iphone4 on ebay for under 1000 when they are next to impossible to buy, i imagine real ones would go for much much higher
    Actually you can buy one from Apple for $599 out right no contract!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-08-17 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I had this happen to me years ago. I bought a Tivo through eBay. But received nothing...
    I opened a case with Paypal. They promptly contacted the seller and told them that they had 48 hours to provide delivery confirmation, or there would be a charge back. Next day I received a priority USPS envelope. ENVELOPE, mind you! Then Paypal sent me an email stating that delivery was confirmed, so they weren't going to refund my money.
    I finally located a phone number for Paypal. That wasn't an easy thing to do, either. Called the number and explained that the "seller" sent me an empty envelope, even though I had purchase an eight pound + Tivo unit. She asked "What is a tivo?" I was then told that it wasn't their responsibilty to verify the product, just the delivery. "But it wasn't delivered!", I told her. "It was an empty envelope!" She didn't care, she had a delivery confirmation number.
    So I called my bank and explained it to them. They put the money back in my account. So Paypal went after the money through my "confirmed" bank account. I never got it back... Lesson learned.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, Paypal locked my account.

Hopefully things work out better for you.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spydertech For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-17)

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

slavipz

If you get anything in the mail that you think might be out of the ordinary only open it infront of USPS agent and have him verify what is in the package, same if UPS or Fedex.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slavipz View Post
    Ebay's advertising their "Buyer protection" saying that the full purchase price is covered. I will see about that and then will report him to the police!
    Im a seller from eBay, open a resolution case on ebay on their resolution center, and if you paid with PayPal, you can make a dispute in there, about your money, as item not as described, dont wait to much to doit thru PayPal, you got some specific days to doit, I think 20 or 24 days, after that you are lost. Dont worry about it, you are going to have all your money back. What they are going to do is, PayPal are going to give all your money back to you after they try to communicate with him. Then after that the problem are going to be between him and PayPal, they are going to charge him all the money back. Just do it as fast as you can so they can freeze his account and he can not take out his money out of his PayPal account, and even if he can PayPal are going to give you a full refund. If you got some questions do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredBilly View Post
    There are plenty of scams on Craigslist and they get more creative everyday.

• Stolen iPhones
    • Water damaged iPhones
    • Paying people in conterfeit cash, sometimes hard to detect.
    • There are plenty of individuals who buy damaged iPhones and fix them with substandard parts and then re-sell them.
    • People have been robbed when meeting a buyer or seller at a specific location.

In some cases the risk can be greater on Craigslist because you are not protected as you are with eBay's transactions.

Risk can be lessened by using good common sense:

With eBay:
    • Pick a trusted PowerSeller with a good rating.
    • Make sure you read the good and negative reviews.
    • Read the seller's entire page very carefully.
    • Is the price too low? Usually a red flag.

With Craigslist:
    • Always meet in a safe place with another person present.
    • Do not meet people who do not give you their full name and a phone number.
    • Check cash bills for conterfeit bills (Look for duplicate serial numbers & use a conterfeit bill marker to check for conterfeit bills)
    • Throughly test and check out the iPhone for full functionality. If the seller is inpatient or looking to leave quickly because they have an appointment they are late for. Walk away, this is a red flag.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

17. The Following User Says Thank You to reddawg For This Useful Post:

PWNsyst3m (2010-08-17)

Good advice ^^

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post
    There are plenty of scams on Craigslist and they get more creative everyday.

• Stolen iPhones
    • Water damaged iPhones
    • Paying people in conterfeit cash, sometimes hard to detect.
    • There are plenty of individuals who buy damaged iPhones and fix them with substandard parts and then re-sell them.
    • People have been robbed when meeting a buyer or seller at a specific location.

In some cases the risk can be greater on Craigslist because you are not protected as you are with eBay's transactions.

Risk can be lessened by using good common sense:

With eBay:
    • Pick a trusted PowerSeller with a good rating.
    • Make sure you read the good and negative reviews.
    • Read the seller's entire page very carefully.
    • Is the price too low? Usually a red flag.

With Craigslist:
    • Always meet in a safe place with another person present.
    • Do not meet people who do not give you their full name and a phone number.
    • Check cash bills for conterfeit bills (Look for duplicate serial numbers & use a conterfeit bill marker to check for conterfeit bills)
    • Throughly test and check out the iPhone for full functionality. If the seller is inpatient or looking to leave quickly because they have an appointment they are late for. Walk away, this is a red flag.
    Also watch on eBay where the seller is located, buying an iPhone from a guy located in Honk Kong is begging for trouble.

PS meet in front of a bank, if selling something valuable on Craigslist, to make sure money is real and not fake.

In my experience, Ebay is not worth the trouble. Too many scammers to bother risking buying anything on there. You're better off with Craigslist. At least then it's face to face and you can inspect what you are buying. Seven years ago I bought a Dreamcast game off ebay for $5 and the guy never sent me anything. Paypal wouldn't refund the money. I never got any explanation as to why, simply that the claim was denied. I haven't used either since and never will.

Personally everytime I order some from the Internet. I will open the package in front of the person who delivered it to me to make sure it's in there. If it's not what I order I will not accept the package and just hand it back to the delivery person and file a claim once I get home

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cuonglogan For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-18)

How did u pay? Doesnt ur creditcard company have fraud protection? I got scammed thru paypal. Yes paypal. Someone hacked either my email or paypal and purchased like $170USD worth of perfume from a site called "fragrance X" (please be aware!) i think it was advertising in my junk email too..thats how i knew. But eventually i was favored in the dispute and it didnt cost me anything.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast