Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Transparent icons not showing up transparent

Talking Transparent icons not showing up transparent
    So what I want to do is make all of my icons transparent so that i can see my background better.

What I did was copy the icon from itunes, lower the opacity to 25% in photoshop (you could see the grid), resize to 57x57, export as png. I placed it in the appropriate app folder at Icon.png and backed up the old icon.

When I did a respring, the icon looked darkened, like it was a transparent icon on a black background, but the wallpaper and everything was fine, just a darkened icon.

So something is wrong with the transparency data or the iphone is interpreting it wrong.

What can i do to fix this?
    Thanks!

Thanks

Enable the no icon shadows option in winterboard.

OOH thats explains alot. Is winterboard stable for ios 4?

Thanks

Yup it is. You may have to install iblanks also to get the no shadows choice in winterboard, but both work fine in ios 4

So i searched no icon shadows and a theme popped up and i installed it and turned it on but it didnt work.

When i search iblank there is a theme, and then 2 utilities, one for iphone and one for ipad.

I dled the theme and activated it, but it just made my icons disappear. am i supposed to download the utility?

Thanks

Yeah the theme is just to make ALL your icons completely transparent. Install the iblank utility, that will put the "no iconshadows" choice into winterboard for you.

Ok i downloaded the ultility and activated "No Icon Shadows- iBlank" and it didnt work, the icon is still darkened.

Thanks

Hmmmm there may be something else that sits behind the icons then. Inside system/libray/coreservices/springboard.app theres a png called icondarkeningoverlay.png, it's a black square. I bet that's your culprit.

Tried deleting it. Thats the overlay for when you touch and launch an icon. After deleting it the icon no longer did that. So thats not it....

ARGH so FRUSTRATING!

Oh also I should mention this, maybe it will help.

I am replacing the facebook icon first, so first I tried copying the icon.png from the facebook.app folder to my computer and editing it, but there is something wrong with the file.

If i open it in photoshop or fireworks, it cant open. If i open it in paint, its white square 57x57 or 59x60 depending on the app. When i open it in windows picture viewer nothign shows up. The windows 7 explorer thumbnail is a black square.

This is why i pulled the icon from itunes, not thru SSH

Could this have something to do with the problem?
    Last edited by goldentreesang; 2010-08-09 at 02:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Yeah the images on the phone are "optimized" for the iPhone. In order to view and edit them you need pngfixer.

So if i convert the icon that i made with pngfixer it should work?

Thanks

I'm not sure if it will or not. I would've thought for sure that it was the shadow. Sorry I wasn't more help.