Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: cannot get 3g into dfu mode

Default cannot get 3g into dfu mode
    Hi.

I am trying to downgrade from ios4.0 as my 3G is sooo slow now.

I need to get my phone into DFU mode but no matter what I try it doesn't work. I can't even get the screen to go black when it's plugged in.

I have managed to get it to go black when turning on and then i plug the cable in, the apple logo comes on and it connects as normal.

Any help wwould be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you are getting DFU mode confused with restore mode. But before anything, I must inform you that unless you saved your shsh blobs, you will not be able to downgrade even if you do get it into DFU. Do you have your shsh blobs?
    If this was helpful, or even if it gave you a laugh, click the Thanks button!

Hi.

I don't think I'm getting them confused but then again I'm new to all of this.

I have read that I have to get into DFU mode to downgrade. I have just managed to get it into Restore mode but I carried out the instructions for getting it into DFU.

Also, as I am new to this I don't know what shsh blobs are other than an ammusing name. I have downloaded the older firmware as per this link http://lifehacker.com/5572003/how-to-downgrade-your-iphone-3g%5Bs%5D-from-ios-4-to-ios-313[/URL]

So I suppose the answer to your question would be no, unless somehow i saved them without knowing it. Where would they be saved automatically or would I have had to select a location?

Sorry for silly questions but I just don't know.

Thanks in advance
    Mark

Thanks

You used to be able to downgrade simply by using DFU mode, but that doesn't work anymore since now Apple has to sign every restore. SHSH blobs are files that tell apple that it is ok to restore, but it doesn't sound like you have them... Sounds like you're going to have to stay where you are... Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassface View Post
    You used to be able to downgrade simply by using DFU mode, but that doesn't work anymore since now Apple has to sign every restore. SHSH blobs are files that tell apple that it is ok to restore, but it doesn't sound like you have them... Sounds like you're going to have to stay where you are... Sorry.
    I think that's only for 3gs and iphone 4, 3g should be able to downgrade without shsh, i heard somewhere.

Thanks

You know what? You're completely correct. I'm used to thinking 3gs-wise. Yeah but you're right so he should be able to use the old firmware!

i think while u have the phone connected press both power and home button, as the screen goes blank release power but hold home button. if you release home button too soon u get into restore mode. i think that's how it worked for me. as far as slow 3g on ios 4 try turning off stuff that you dont need, try turning off multitasking, not to confuse with apps in background as i found out today.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chesterflaps View Post
    Hi.

I am trying to downgrade from ios4.0 as my 3G is sooo slow now.

I need to get my phone into DFU mode but no matter what I try it doesn't work. I can't even get the screen to go black when it's plugged in.

I have managed to get it to go black when turning on and then i plug the cable in, the apple logo comes on and it connects as normal.

Any help wwould be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

Getting you iphone into duf mode is not a problem

Now duf mode you must follow these steps

Hook you iphone to your computer If its off it will boot up, no problem here

Once it boots and wait for Itunes to load then hold the power button down then slide to turn phone off

Once it is off press the power button for second then the home button and hold these both down and you will see the screen flash and will turn black it takes about 10 seconds from the time you hold both buttons down for this to happen

When the screen turns black or you hear noise from computer then let up on the power button only and keep holding down on the home button for about 30 seconds or till itunes window pops up and says that it has detected a phone in recovery mode itunes neesds to restore the phone choose ok then do the shift restore or options restore

May not get the duf mode the first time just try again

But what you are going to do is not a slam dunk

First thing you need is the ispw you are wanting to restore back to. I am sure you probality already have this but if not your need

Second thing you are going to need is a program called ireb just google it and it has both windows and mac versions

When you get your phone into duf mode and do the shift restore in windows or options restore on mac

When you start the restore process and you see the progress bar on your phone start to move to the right its going to stop about 2/3 of the way and at some time Itunes is going to report an error and your phone cannot be updated! Story is that it already has and when this happens you are going to have to run ireb from your computer and when the options come up you need to choose recover my phone bring it back to life

Once ireg has kicked you phone out of recovery mode you will know this when the apple logo and progress bar go away and your phone will reboot! Unplug your phone from the computer and when it reboots you will see the apple logo and the progress bar for a short perio and then the phone will boot to emergency call mode

I suggest using redsn0w to jailbreak

Once redsn0w does it thing then your good to go

Is that better, you must have been an english teacher as that is the second time you have pointed that out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 2010-08-15 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks

I don't think you put enough exclamation marks in that tutorial lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassface For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-15)

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

If DFU doesnt go, recovery mode will do the same so iTunes will recognize and restore.

1) phone is on
    2) hold power and home until phone powers off
    3) release power button and continue to hold home
    4) keep holding until you get the iTunes+USB screen

Edit: restoring to 3.1.3 may cause error 1015, 1013, or 1011.

If that occurs, exit out of iTunes, open up Recboot and run it. Phone should reboot and get you the emergency call screen. No worries tho, you will have successfully downgraded.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-15 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Thank you
    Hi all.

Thank you all for your in depth responses.

From reading through I can see I'm ok to downgrade yahoooo. But I have one more question. Once I downgrade will I be able to use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak and unlock it again? And if so what will happen to my Apple apps and my Cydia apps? Will I have to start again?

Thanks in advance
    Mark

Thanks

Well, you won't want to use jailbreakme.com, because I'm 99% sure that it isn't compatible with the 3.x firmwares. If you go to spiritjb.com, you can download and run spirit to jailbreak.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bassface View Post
    Well, you won't want to use jailbreakme.com, because I'm 99% sure that it isn't compatible with the 3.x firmwares. If you go to spiritjb.com, you can download and run spirit to jailbreak.
    JailbreakMe.com now supports a TON of devices:

iPod 1G on 3.1.2
    iPod 1G on 3.1.3
    iPod 2G on 3.1.2
    iPod 2G on 3.1.3
    iPod 2G on 4.0
    iPod 3G on 3.1.2
    iPod 3G on 3.1.3
    iPod 3G on 4.0
    iPad on 3.2
    iPad on 3.2.1
    iPhone 3G on 3.1.2
    iPhone 3G on 3.1.3
    iPhone 3G on 4.0
    iPhone 3G on 4.0.1
    iPhone 3G[S] on 3.1.2
    iPhone 3G[S] on 3.1.3
    iPhone 3G[S] on 4.0
    iPhone 3G[S] on 4.0.1
    iPhone 4 on 4.0
    iPhone 4 on 4.0.1

15. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

Bassface (2010-08-18)

Thanks

Well, I'm glad I said 99%! Thanks for the update, now I can stop recommending spirit and just tell 'em "jailbreakme!"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassface For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-08-18)

Thanks

Welcome