Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allanes5 View Post
    Again, no it won't be alright. I don't have any of those and still lose 5% battery per hour on standby with everything off and phone on airplane mode.

Some definitely is wrong, there is NO DOUBT about that at all!!

I never had this battery issue with my jailbroken and unlocked 3gs.

My ip4 had awesome battery life before the jailbreak and unlock. The difference is HUGE!!
    Out of curiosity, how are you "turning everything off"?

I want to ask before I point out what may be a potential problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Out of curiosity, how are you "turning everything off"?

I want to ask before I point out what may be a potential problem with it.
    Sbsettings.

There have been posts suggesting the problem could be sbsettings but some have restored phone,rejailbroke and re unlocked without adding sbsettings and still have exesive battery drain on standby.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y View Post
    I would love stock power consumption but JB offers so many more benefits.
    That right there is the key (writing this with 3% batt).

If battery life was the only option, I wouldn't JB. But being able to FT anywhere (not just on wifi for us), setting up a wifi hotspot and USB tethering (battery at 2% now), ssh options, basically full control of our iDevices....I think the choice is clear.

Maybe one day we'll be able to have our cake and eat it too! 

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by allanes5 View Post
    Sbsettings.

There have been posts suggesting the problem could be sbsettings but some have restored phone,rejailbroke and re unlocked without adding sbsettings and still have exesive battery drain on standby.
    Are you talking about just pushing the toggle buttons when sbsettings appears or are you going into the actual mobilesubstrates page and deactivating every single thing in the list (ie lib hide and all of those)?

Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y View Post
    Have you tried downgrading to Mobilesubrate 3226?
    Not yet. Some have reported no change in battery drainage and others very little.

Doesn't seem like the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Are you talking about just pushing the toggle buttons when sbsettings appears or are you going into the actual mobilesubstrates page and deactivating every single thing in the list (ie lib hide and all of those)?
    Just pushing toggle buttons to red.

Haven't deactivated from the list.
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-08-09 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Default Issues solved for me!
    Like everyone else in this thread, I had some major battery drain issues. Prior to Jailbreak, my phone, on standby overnight, would drop it's battery percentage from 0 to 1%. After Jailbreaking, I would lose anywhere between 18-30%...very dramatic.

So I've been on this annoying, test my OCD tendacies, odyssey to figure out what the heck was going on.

Step 1) Restored my phone back to normal to see if it had something to do with the jailbreak. --> Battery performance back to normal.

Step 2) Restored phone. Jailbroke. --> Battery performance perfectly normal. So...it must be some app or software causing the drain.

Step 3) Updated Cydia. Installed afc2add. --> Still fine.

Step 4) Sensing everything was peachy, I installed all my normal apple store apps. --> everythigng still going well.

Step 5) Wanting some of Cydia apps back, I started installing them one at a time...well...just one: Signal by planetbeing of unlock fame. --> BOOM -- Battery drainage back.

Step 6) Uninstalled Signal App --> Battery back to normal!!!

Now most of you here are talking about how the Unlock is causing battery drain. I personally don't need the unlock, as I'm on fracktackulous ATT, but based on what I saw in this forum:

[URL="http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/723020-signal-real-signal-strength-cell-info-more-5.html"]

there is a Mobile Substrate extension called: enablettydebug
    that gets installed with the Signal app (and maybe it gets installed with the UNLOCK). I guess this thing polls the baseband somewhat frequently and will cause your battery to drain. I have yet to reinstall Signal while diasbling this extension, but this may very well be the MS extension that's causing everyone's problem. If you've unlocked your phone and have issues or have battery problems of any kind after using Cydia, check to see if this extension is installed.

If you don't know how...open up Cydia, go the Manage, and check Packages.

Forgot to mention, click on the button that says "SIMPLE" in the top right corner after you get to Packages...this will change things to Expert mode and you'll be able to see EVERYTHING Cydia has installed.

It's possible the unlock may not need this extension, so give it a try.

Hope this helps everyone!!
    Last edited by axlahn; 2010-08-09 at 06:28 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to axlahn For This Useful Post:

GodzillaAteMyiPhone (2010-08-09), k20beaks (2010-08-09)

Makes some sense. I don't have the app signal but do need the unlock!!

[QUOTE=

Hope this helps everyone!![/QUOTE]

Don't think I have it, couldn't find it.
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-08-09 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Forgot to mention, click on the button that says "SIMPLE" in the top right corner after you get to Packages...this will change things to Expert mode and you'll be able to see EVERYTHING Cydia has installed.

Quote Originally Posted by axlahn View Post
    I'm missing out on something. I get to packages and don't see "simple" on top right corner, nor when I select packages.

Got it had to be set up as hacker and had my as developer
    Last edited by allanes5; 2010-08-09 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

oh ok i dont have the unlock maybe thats what it is , who knows all i kno is mine was driven me crazy and i uninstalled those 3 thing n back to normal .. i wish i could pen point the exact problem for everyone though

I have disabled enablettydebug and I will see in an hour how much the battery has dropped by (im on MS 3226)

Default Same problem on my iphone 4
    Previously jailbroken

Installed Mywi4 , My3G and the later 3G unrestrictor
    and signals
    mobile substrate 3228
    (3225-3226 cause freeze bug in google map

No unlock needed as factory unlocked

No processes open at all open
    yet
    Very fast power drain

Restored to Stock 4.01

battery perfect again

That's odd... must be mobile substrate??

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    That right there is the key (writing this with 3% batt).

If battery life was the only option, I wouldn't JB. But being able to FT anywhere (not just on wifi for us), setting up a wifi hotspot and USB tethering (battery at 2% now), ssh options, basically full control of our iDevices....I think the choice is clear.

Maybe one day we'll be able to have our cake and eat it too! 
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by axlahn View Post
    Like everyone else in this thread, I had some major battery drain issues. Prior to Jailbreak, my phone, on standby overnight, would drop it's battery percentage from 0 to 1%. After Jailbreaking, I would lose anywhere between 18-30%...very dramatic.

So I've been on this annoying, test my OCD tendacies, odyssey to figure out what the heck was going on.

Step 1) Restored my phone back to normal to see if it had something to do with the jailbreak. --> Battery performance back to normal.

Step 2) Restored phone. Jailbroke. --> Battery performance perfectly normal. So...it must be some app or software causing the drain.

Step 3) Updated Cydia. Installed afc2add. --> Still fine.

Step 4) Sensing everything was peachy, I installed all my normal apple store apps. --> everythigng still going well.

Step 5) Wanting some of Cydia apps back, I started installing them one at a time...well...just one: Signal by planetbeing of unlock fame. --> BOOM -- Battery drainage back.

Step 6) Uninstalled Signal App --> Battery back to normal!!!

Now most of you here are talking about how the Unlock is causing battery drain. I personally don't need the unlock, as I'm on fracktackulous ATT, but based on what I saw in this forum:

[URL="http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/723020-signal-real-signal-strength-cell-info-more-5.html"]

there is a Mobile Substrate extension called: enablettydebug
    that gets installed with the Signal app (and maybe it gets installed with the UNLOCK). I guess this thing polls the baseband somewhat frequently and will cause your battery to drain. I have yet to reinstall Signal while diasbling this extension, but this may very well be the MS extension that's causing everyone's problem. If you've unlocked your phone and have issues or have battery problems of any kind after using Cydia, check to see if this extension is installed.

Hope this helps everyone!!
    Very nice!!! I'm gonna have to get rid of Signal and will let everyone know! Very well sounds like the issue!
    Last edited by k20beaks; 2010-08-09 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I've got iPhone 4.0 unlocked (Im studying abroad) and have noticed the battery draining issues as well.

In cydia there is no enablettydebug even in expert mode so im not sure that's it. My guess is it's something that will have to be fixed over time by dev team as they figure out where all of the memory leaks are and patch and upgrade the jailbreak.

But, I Think it may have something to do with My3G running in the background 24/7 but who knows!

Wow, I am glad I found this thread tonight.

I have an iPhone 4 on AT&T. Usually get great battery, which to me is what I consider light to moderate usage throughout the day yielding about 30-50% battery left at night when I go to charge.

I jailbroke and got MyWi, WiFi Sync, OpenSSH, SBSettings, and Signal. I've been getting this same issue of just unreal, insane, 6%+ battery dropping every hour when not using the phone at all. It predated SBSettings for me, as I in fact got that app to more conveniently manage ssh, wifi, and 3G to try and save some battery as I'd noticed it go downhill after jailbreaking. None of that helped of course, and I was thinking about restoring and going back to jail.

Then I saw the post about Signal and enablettydebug. I went into SBSettings preferences, i.e. activate SBSettings, tap More, select Mobile Substrate Addons, and then look for enablettydebug there. I turned it off and rebooted my phone. Now I am at almost 2h of standby and 10m of usage (WiFi and 3G on) with 100% battery still, which, while too short a time span to confirm it's as good as pre-JB, is dramatically, unmistakably better than what I had before with the enablettydebug addon turned on. I still have Mobile Substrate running, and SBSettings says I have the following addons turned on: Activator, IntelliStatisIconsVi(ewer? can't read last part), MyWi, PreferenceLoader, libhide, and pdfExploitWarner. So I am guessing that Mobile Substrate is quite kosher and there's no need to try and downgrade it or anything like that.

For what it's worth, I can't find that addon in Cydia directly as a package; it only shows up for me in the SBSettings control I described above. When it's turned off (i.e. after the reboot), Signal no longer works at all—not too surprising. Looking at the Signal package in the Rock app actually causes a warning to display that says the package might be damaged and requires a reinstallation. I imagine that if you don't use SBSettings tor have another way to directly manage these Mobile Substrate Addons, you may be able to just uninstall Signal. Hopefully.

YMMV, of course, but this really helped me and I hope the additional info helps some of you as well. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by shadowfax; 2010-08-09 at 09:54 AM.

We're glad this work for you...
    but i'm affraid not having Signal installed and the enabletty addon with it.

here are the addons i have:
    activator
    intellistatusicons
    my3G
    mywy
    preferenceloader
    iblacklist
    libhide
    libstatusbar
    ultrasn0w

and still batery drain problem.

regards.

It makes sense to me that there may well be multiple causes of this basic problem of poor battery life. Everything that happens on the phone consumes energy, so it doesn't take much of a bug in a program that can run in the background to bring your idle battery performance to its knees. It's clear to me that there's a problem with the Signal app, but it may be that there are other Addons with similar issues. That's certainly the kind of thing that would explain why there's confusion about the issue.

Does anyone here know how to use the Intruments.app in Apple XCode ?
    I've managed to monitor battery usage of my JB iphone but i don't really know how to interpret datas and logs.

That would be a good start for tracking the origin of the problem... non ?
    Last edited by gforel; 2010-08-09 at 10:44 AM.

hey guys i'm new to these forums and i'm having the same problem, my iphone when i'm using it (loses around 1% every 3 min), and when its on standby i lose like 4-5% every hour, i bareley got my3g and mywi, so i know those aren't the problems + i don't have that signal app installed and don't have the enablettydebug thing

This battery drain is really annoying me now. Last night I fully charged my battery from 3%-100% without interruptions and this morning after 30 mins of moderate usage its dropped 8%. The only things I have installed are SBsettings and signal by planetbeing; I do not use ultrasn0w.
    I might just restore from an old backup until these battery issues are fixed.

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast