Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

There are 4 iphone4 within my household, I can confirm the battery drainage issue with all of them after the Jailbreak/Unlock.

I did restore my iPhone4 at least 3 times since the unlock, the battery still drains about 3 times faster than my 3GS, my 3GS has the 3.1.3 and was unlocked with the older version of ultrasn0w.

This battery issue is about the only thing that's making me miss my 3GS.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y View Post
    I think 1-2% per hour is damm good. Dont forget the max of 300 hours standby is prob with all services off and in airplane mode

Not exactly.
    standby hours mean Phone is on (ready to call and receiving cell operator signal). More info about specification:
    Apple - iPhone - Battery Test Information

Guys, so let's all of us try to make a small test with iPhone 4. It will help to all of us to understand what is going on with iPhone 4, JB and unlock.

1.Please charge your iPhone 4 up to 100%. Then put your device in Airplane Mode for 3 hours (before this turn off all battery drain processes, like Wi-Fi, Push Notification, Location, delete all apps in multitask).After 3 hours check your battery loss and write it down.

2. Turn off Airplane Mode to get your iPhone in Standby Mode(but keep off Wi-Fi, 3g,Push Notification, Location, delete all apps in multitask). Try to avoid any calls and using your phone for 3 more hours, and after that - check your battery status again. Write in down.

3.The last thing is about to try to switch off your device - "Slide or Power off" (for example during the night). Check your battery before you turn it off and after you turn it on at the morning. Also count hours it spent in OFF mode. It'd help to understand is there a native battery problem.

After all, please report your results here. If you tried to solve the problem and got any improvement of battery life, please report your methods. Also make sure you reporting your iPhone 4 statuses: not jailbreaked and unlocked; only jailbreaked; jailbreaked and unlocked.

Thank you all guys in advance.
    Let's try to figure it out what's wrong with our lovely iphones
    Last edited by voset; 2010-08-08 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ok guys...so did a 2 hour test....on standby...with only wifi on....no push no 3g no data....a drop of 0% .....this is muchh better than before. I really think it is a problem in the Mobilesubstrate file. but this is a guess.

Anyways, I am posting the link the 2 .deb files. You need to first uninstall ultrasn0w from cydia. Then download openSSH. no toggle necessary....i just downloaded without sbsettings. To find out the host(ip address) just go to your wifi and click the blue arrow, and it will be there. 192.168.x.xxx Ok so you need to transfer the .deb files and put them in private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall. If the Cydia/AutoInstall directory is not there, then you create them. For eg. in mine after I went into Media, there was nothing, so I right clicked made a new folder Cydia, then clicked into Cydia, and made a folder AutoInstall. Then go into the AutoInstall folder. Drag both the .deb files into here. Once the files are in, you need to restart your phone twice...first for Cydia to install the files and the second for Ultrasn0w to work. and yes you can keep the non at&t sim card in the whole time. no problem.

All that is different is this is a previous mobilesubstrate version...and it helps...so hope this works for you all as it did for me!

PS - hope you all know how to SSH..lol if not youtube it. reply if it works or doesn't work!

and a 1% drop just happened....Usage: 4 Minutes Standby : 2hours 8 min.

the link..i almost forgot...haha

http://www.mediafire.com/?v9g4h2di9b9fuo5
    Last edited by samin0786; 2010-08-08 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samin0786 For This Useful Post:

Akasam (2010-08-16), ufcsean (2010-08-11)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samin0786 View Post

ultrasn0w unlock.rar

1% drop for 2 hours is a great result. Hope this is gonna be a salvation for all of us. lol )) Thank you for your report!

a qst: where (or how) did you get this link with files? It could be very dangerous to use a soft from unknown sources. isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by voset View Post
    1% drop for 2 hours is a great result. Hope this is gonna be a salvation for all of us. lol )) Thank you for your report!

a qst: where (or how) did you get this link with files? It could be very dangerous to use a soft from unknown sources. isn't it?
    I downloaded them in ************* forum....posted by a user.

I zipped both files and posted my own download link.

Im just go ahead and going to say....do this at your own risk. Ill report future battery reports at 10% of standby.

xsellize . c o m
    Last edited by samin0786; 2010-08-08 at 03:25 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samin0786 For This Useful Post:

ufcsean (2010-08-11), voset (2010-08-08)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Im just go ahead and going to say....do this at your own risk. Ill report future battery reports at 10% of standby.

xsellize . c o m
    Thank's for your future update!

if your scared to use that link....you can directly down from sauriks index of files a p t . s a u r i k . c o m / c y d i a / d e b s / don't download the latest one...get 3226. thats the one i tried. but only mobilesubstrate is there...ultrasn0w 1.0-1 isn't so...

Update - At 95% Usage : 16 Minutes Standby : 3 hours 30 minutes. this is with wifi on. now the next 5% im turning wifi off.

ok at 90% ....Usage - 18 minutes Standby : 5 hours 34 minutes.....is this fine?
    Last edited by samin0786; 2010-08-08 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have an iPhone 4 with Comex's JB and I'm on AT&T. I have sbsettings, activator, lockinfo, no backgrounder. I left my phone with wifi on, bluetooth off, location off, SSH off, data on, 3G on, and it used up 3% overnight (8 hours).

So i'm pretty sure it's only for those that are not on AT&T and used ultrasn0w.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

There seem to be a few battery issues, and they're not all necessarily just the fault of the jailbreak or ultrasn0w. I don't use ultrasn0w at all, and I've been un-intalling and re-installing things on my ip4 for the last few days trying to nail down the battery problems and it's.. not consistent. I can un-install something which made my battery worse and it doesn't fix it. Then I un-install something else that I installed a day ago and it fixes it. Then I re-install that same thing and the problem doesn't come back. From what I read some of your problems with ultrasn0w are a little more cut and dry, but to me there are clearly other things going on as well.

A perfect iphone in good working order should get around 5-10 days/hours of standby/use. 1-2 hours of use is interchangeable with 1-2 days of standby. So when you see people say they get 4 days of use out of their phone, that is very possible if they only use it for about an hour a day. I've done so myself. Having a separate ipod or other media consumption device helps a lot. This translates into about 2-4 hours of standby per 1% battery. This is normal.

I've also run into issues where the battery runs down faster than normal, but the phone still goes into standby. It seems that's what a lot of people are having happen here with ultrasn0w. I don't use ultrasn0w, but just last night a few hours before I went to sleep I re-installed Signal (also by planetbeing), and my battery use went back into this "degraded" mode, where I went through 16% battery in 7 hours of standby, For me, this translates into about 20-30 minutes of standby per 1% battery. This is not normal.

I've also run into a problem where the phone doesn't actually go into standby. The screen turns off, it makes the click, but it never powers down or gives up it's wifi. This is in effect, similar to just playing music in the background in ipod. I noticed this because of two things. First, when I'd pick up my phone after an hour of standby, the WiFi would be already on as soon as I turned it on, instead of coming up after 2-4 seconds. Second, in settings, my "use" and "standby" times were the same. Since the "standby" time is really the "total use" time, not just the time spent in standby, this means the phone was never actually going into standby. For me, this went through about 60% battery in 12 hours of standby, or about 10 minutes per 1% battery. This puts it on par with apple's claimed battery life for playing music. This is bad.

For those denying the problem, or saying that a day of battery life is good, remember that this phone should last over a week in standby, and these battery drain bugs represent up to a 10x increase in battery use while in standby. This is clearly not how it is supposed to be.

I get about 7 hours of usage out of my battery

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Have noticed the battery drain also. Have tried to kill all kinds of things.
    Ip4, sbsettings, iblacklist is the only things installed. Removed sbsettings, still battery drain. Noticed people saying to turn off ssh, I dont see it anywhere to turn off. Ive re-installed sbsettings, turned off wifi, will test some more.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Heh, I think I had a bit better battery life before the JB. I averaged about a percent or so every 5 minutes. Now it goes down about a percent every 3.5 minutes. I'm not using it too heavily, today I was just doing some browsing around reddit on wifi.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

Update @ 69% : Usage 1 Hour, 42 Minutes (1 hour 7 minutes talk time) Standby : 7 Hours, 50 Minutes.

Is this fine?? I forgot what good battery life is after all the issues...lol

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samin0786 For This Useful Post:

voset (2010-08-08)

Thanks

Mine's a little better. (about 1 hour 40 minutes of wifi and a little 3G time at about 75%) But, it all depends on what your doing. Also, my standby is a little less.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Update @ 69% : Usage 1 Hour, 42 Minutes (1 hour 7 minutes talk time) Standby : 7 Hours, 50 Minutes.

Is this fine?? I forgot what good battery life is after all the issues...lol

Well, as for me - it should be about 80-85% for conditions you've wrote about... if we try to compare your result with Apple's specifications

anyway your report extremely helpfull!

I want to know how does your battery doing just in Standby mode with no activity. I think this results we could get after you go to sleep. Hope nobody will call you at this night )) lol

Quote Originally Posted by neodude237 View Post
    Mine's a little better. (about 1 hour 40 minutes of wifi and a little 3G time at about 75%) But, it all depends on what your doing. Also, my standby is a little less.
    It would be great if you'd try to figure it out about being in standby for long period of time with no activity, no wi-fi, no 3g, no push e.t.c (for example 5-7 hours).

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by voset; 2010-08-08 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by voset View Post
    Well, as for me - it should be about 80-85% for conditions you've wrote about... if we try to compare your result with Apple's specifications

anyway your report extremely helpfull!

I want to know how does your battery doing just in Standby mode with no activity. I think this results we could get after you go to sleep. Hope nobody will call you at this night )) lol

It would be great if you'd try to figure it out about being in standby for long period of time with no activity, no wi-fi, no 3g, no push e.t.c (for example 5-7 hours).

Thank you in advance!
    Yeaaa...about to go to bed now...i am at 66%...will post in the morning! i guess it was doing good initially...but we'll see in the morning.

Ok guys...so did a 2 hour test....on standby...with only wifi on....no push no 3g no data....a drop of 0% .....this is muchh better than before. I really think it is a problem in the Mobilesubstrate file. but this is a guess.

Anyways, I am posting the link the 2 .deb files. You need to first uninstall ultrasn0w from cydia. Then download openSSH. no toggle necessary....i just downloaded without sbsettings. To find out the host(ip address) just go to your wifi and click the blue arrow, and it will be there. 192.168.x.xxx Ok so you need to transfer the .deb files and put them in private/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall. If the Cydia/AutoInstall directory is not there, then you create them. For eg. in mine after I went into Media, there was nothing, so I right clicked made a new folder Cydia, then clicked into Cydia, and made a folder AutoInstall. Then go into the AutoInstall folder. Drag both the .deb files into here. Once the files are in, you need to restart your phone twice...first for Cydia to install the files and the second for Ultrasn0w to work. and yes you can keep the non at&t sim card in the whole time. no problem.

All that is different is this is a previous mobilesubstrate version...and it helps...so hope this works for you all as it did for me!

PS - hope you all know how to SSH..lol if not youtube it. reply if it works or doesn't work!

ultrasn0w unlock.rar
    Ok, so I just did what you did. It's already installed. I will post my results later today to see if it helped. Let's see if it helps... man I hope it does. I hope it's not due to the new version of MobileSubstrate, because I need that new version so Google Maps can be fixed!

Thanks

I'm actually betting it might be MobileSubstrate as well, something seems to suck out a little too much energy. (FWIW I have little to no apps running in the background either)

maybe it's the new MobileSubstrate's Google Maps fix that's somehow interacting with the ultrasn0w?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thepianocian View Post
    maybe it's the new MobileSubstrate's Google Maps fix that's somehow interacting with the ultrasn0w?
    Sorry for silly question, but how does MobileSubstrate effect to Google Maps apps? This is all just really new for me..

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast