Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

iPhone? More like MyPhone The Guz's Avatar
    Thanks

I also noticed the battery life draining faster on 4.2.1 than when I was on 4.1.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Madman604x's Avatar
    Thanks

Same here. Normally I use 25% at most. I've been going down to 50% after JB with GP.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

4.2.1 messes up my phone. When I recieve or make a call, the phone app goes black when I put it to my ear (which is normal), but when I lower it from my head the screen still remains black and neither the sleep or the home button wakes it.

I downgraded back to 4.1 and jailbroke with LR and has no battery issues; My iPhone works like a charm.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

so far no problem with mine.....probably i do refresh restore and jailbreak....
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1066377445.png

Thanks

after RC 6 battery seems better. only lost 1% overnight.
    60% of the time, it works every time.

rc7 even better 1% lost per day

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sknet View Post
    where'd you get RC7?
    60% of the time, it works every time.

I have my iPhone 4 since October, it was great battery life for the first two months and then I start to notice that around Christmas, the phone is not holding a charge well. As far as I have tried troubleshooting, nothing seems to work.

Here were the tests I had done:

Jailbreak vs. non jailbreak
    with or without sbsubstrate
    restore from backup or restore as new
    turn off multitasking
    delete multitasking apps(double click home button)

None of the above seems to have any significant effect on battery drain

Making some changes such as brightness, fetch time, push notification and etc. so call battery draining function does make a bit of difference but not as significant as compare to a brand new phone with iOS 4.0.

My conclusion is that it has to be something with the newer iOS 4.1 onward.

I have use an app call batteryinfo from cydia and it consistently shows that while the phone displays the battery is at 100%, the battery app shows that it is less than 90%. The discrepancy narrows a bit when the battery reaches 5% and the battery app shows that it is at 3%.

I will try to bring the phone back to Apple store and see. I took it back a few weeks back after restoring. The customer service showed me that all the multitasking apps need to be closed or will drain the battery. Plugged in my phone and run a diagnostic and told me that the battery is normal. ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Madman604x View Post
    where'd you get RC7?
    Excuse me, what is RC7??

He's joking u idiots

so far no problem with mine.....probably i do refresh restore and jailbreak....
    What is jail break and RC6?

I can't believe someone asked that question especially when it's all over you tube ps it's call jailbreak one word not two

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

is this normal battery life?
    usage: 5 hr and 53 min
    standby: 14hr and 50 min
    battery at 38%

I also have an iPhone 4, I got it with 4.1 pre-installed, and the battery was kick-***! After a whole day of heavy use, gaming, 3G and all that, I could still have like 20% left. So I jailbreaked, installed what most people would, like SBSettings, Iconoclasm, Barrel, biteSMS and such. Then when Greenpois0n RC6 came out, I figured it was time to upgrade to 4.2.1 and jailbreak there. I did. I shouldn't have. Now, I can be on the home-screen, watching the battery percentage dropping 1% each 1,5 minutes. I always check for ways to improve battery, like turning off WiFi, location services, bluetooth, brightness to 10% and such. I have removed almost all my jailbreak apps, but nothing works. Maybe stuff needs to be optimized for iOS 4.2.1, as I had way better battery life on 4.1! I'm suspecting biteSMS is a battery drainer, as I know it installs two Mobile Substrate Add-Ons, but I can't remove it, it's so damn useful.

If this goes on, I'm gonna restore, jailbreak, and install one app a day to see which one is draining.
    Last edited by MichaelSe; 2011-03-01 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone 4 was draining up to 10% an hour without NOTHING running, no wifi, bluetooth, airplane mode on, no apps in multitasking bar, NOTHING. I charge it to 100% before I go to bed, when I wake up, it could be down to 40%. On night I forgot to turn off wifi, and when I woke up, it was on 21%! I had deleted everything in Cydia that didn't give me warnings, still it drained... I just restored and rejailbroke, hope this is fixed...

Since my last post, I have done more testing. Here is what I found:

I restored the iPhone to unjailbreak state as a new phone, battery drain is still bad. I though then since nothing seemed to work, I'll jailbreak the phone to get back my functions I want. As I reinstall apps from cydia, somehow I have a problem to reinstall lockinfo.

I ended up restoring the phone again as I can't resolve the lockinfo installation problem. I didn't bother with restoring as a new phone through iTune, as it would take much longer for the restore process. I restored from backup.

Good thing happened and the battery drain was fixed. The phone easily last me a good 16 hours with battery still at about 40%, just like when it was new 4 months ago.

Jailbreak again, no problem with sbsettings and a whole lot of other cydia installed apps until My3G!

What a waste of money to purchase My3G only for FaceTime! Even though I don't use FaceTime, with My3G, my phone can't even last 16 hours. I installed a great free app from iTune called BatteryLife and it can show battery usage chart daily or weekly, and I can clearly see post My3G, how much steeper the drainage graph looked.

I just removed My3G but it seems that the battery drain is not as bad but still draining much faster then before My3G. My phone been off charge for 8 hours now and I am down to 38%. It looks like My3G may have change something in the iOS and does not remove the change when uninstalling.

This is a long read for you, but I hope someone may benefit from my discovery. I will be restoring my phone AGAIN to get back to the proper battery drain then rejailbreak. But no My3G or any of that app developer apps will go to my phone again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Wow 679 posts later .... Anyways. I concluded long time ago that if you rely on an unlock. Be prepared to sacrifice battery life. As ultrasn0w is a process that runs in the background constantly working so your connected to your service provider also. You can see what hidden jailbreak apps are running in the background if you have SBSettings. Just open it click on "More" and see mobilesubstrate something. It will show you all the enabled apps that run within mobilesubstrate. More apps switched ON = worse battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by autored View Post
    Since my last post, I have done more testing. Here is what I found:

I restored the iPhone to unjailbreak state as a new phone, battery drain is still bad. I though then since nothing seemed to work, I'll jailbreak the phone to get back my functions I want. As I reinstall apps from cydia, somehow I have a problem to reinstall lockinfo.

I ended up restoring the phone again as I can't resolve the lockinfo installation problem. I didn't bother with restoring as a new phone through iTune, as it would take much longer for the restore process. I restored from backup.

Good thing happened and the battery drain was fixed. The phone easily last me a good 16 hours with battery still at about 40%, just like when it was new 4 months ago.

Jailbreak again, no problem with sbsettings and a whole lot of other cydia installed apps until My3G!

What a waste of money to purchase My3G only for FaceTime! Even though I don't use FaceTime, with My3G, my phone can't even last 16 hours. I installed a great free app from iTune called BatteryLife and it can show battery usage chart daily or weekly, and I can clearly see post My3G, how much steeper the drainage graph looked.

I just removed My3G but it seems that the battery drain is not as bad but still draining much faster then before My3G. My phone been off charge for 8 hours now and I am down to 38%. It looks like My3G may have change something in the iOS and does not remove the change when uninstalling.

This is a long read for you, but I hope someone may benefit from my discovery. I will be restoring my phone AGAIN to get back to the proper battery drain then rejailbreak. But no My3G or any of that app developer apps will go to my phone again.
    are u saying with My3G installed it will improve battery life?

Default I have solved the iPhone battery problem!
    I have solved the iPhone battery problem!

My devices
    iPhone 4
    Originally came with OS 4.2.1
    Factory Unlocked
    Jailbroken – Greenpois0n RC6.1

iPhone 3Gs
    Originally came with OS 3.0
    Upgraded to OS 3.0.1, 3.1.2 & 4.2.1
    Factory Unlocked
    Old bootrom
    Jailbroken Redsn0w 0.9.6rc4

Windows XP desktop PC

Windows XP notebook Acer

(Ahem, jailbreaking is legal by the way)

Background

In December 2010, I upgraded my iPhone3Gs to OS 4.2.1 and jailbroke with Redsn0w. After a few weeks, my iPhone3Gs has started feeling warm and when I checked, I noticed similar usage and standby times (Settings, General, Usage). The battery was starting to drain very quickly and was dead within half a day. This is not the first time I am facing this problem. When I first got my 3Gs in July 2009, the same thing happened.

The problem last time
    In July 2009, when my 3Gs was still not jailbroken and running OS 3.0, the problem was quite easy to diagnose because I had not many apps installed. I had setup my yahoo email account through the mail app. A search on google shows everyone saying turn off push. I turned off push but the battery drain was still there.

I deleted the email account and re-added it and the problem was still there. I figured out that there was something wrong with the iPhone push programming because although I turned push off, I believe the push was actually still on as I was still getting emails. Even after deleting the email and re-adding it, the problem was still there.

I had to Restore my 3Gs for the problem to go away. And when adding the yahoo mail account again, I immediately turned off the push and changed it to fetch. The problem never came back again, until now.

The Current Problem

Initially I thought the problem was the same. Little did I know it was different, very different.

This time, when I noticed my 3Gs having this problem, I checked my iPhone4. It was also having the same problem. The iPhone4 has a better battery life therefore I didn’t notice it as easily as my 3Gs.

I figured out the problem is I sync both phones to my notebook iTunes using the same account. Therfore there must be something wrong.

Other Solutions & Suggestions Found on the Internet
    Doing a google search I found the following solutions which all did not work for me:

1) Delete the email accounts and re-add.
    2) Turn off push
    3) Turn off notifications
    4) Turn off Bluetooth
    5) Turn off Location Services (GPS)
    6) Lower the screen brightness
    7) Discharge and fully recharge
    8) Allow to continue charging even after reaching 100% (trickle charge)
    9) Use less data
    10) Turn off fetch
    11) Turn off wifi
    12) Minimise use of apps
    13) Use airplane mode in low coverage areas
    14) Turn off equalizer
    15) Let your phone breathe by changing your phone carrying case
    16) Lock your phone
    17) Turn off 3G.

Blady hell, the list was looking like I had to turn everything off. Why buy an iPhone in the first place?

Its like buying a BMW then the dealer tells you, that to save petrol, don’t drive at night, don’t drive in the rain, don’t drive when its too hot, only have 1 person in the car, the person in the car should exercise and lose weight to save petrol, minimize the use of car lights, radio, CD player and brakes…. Like.. what the hell???

18) Change your default password from “Alpine” to something else
    19) Download Push Checker (note : not applicable for me as my phones are factory unlocked not relying on ultrasnow)
    20) Problem with push on email synchronization
    21) Problem with push on contacts synchronization especially with the contacts with pictures (yup tried this by deleting all my contact pictures – regret it like hell now)
    22) Problem with push on calenders synchronization especially when emails are received for setup of appointments and meetings (I honestly thought this was my problem and went on to delete all the received appointments in my Outlook)
    23) Problem with synchronization with Microsoft ActiveSync server. (believable as apple and Microsoft are not exactly friends)
    24) Download System Activity Monitor to check if there are any programs running in the background (useless app by the way)
    25) Hard reset the phone (Hold down the Power & Home button until the the screen goes black) – this will remove the Usage & Standby time completely until you fully charge your phone again which is when you will notice the problem is still there.
    26) Double click the home button to pull up the “Recently Used Apps” bar and close them one-by-one.
    27) Open the Mail App then hold down the Sleep button until you see the “Slide to Power Off” then release the sleep button and hold down the home button until the Mail App closes. Repeat this for the Calendar App and Contacts.
    28) Sign out of the AppStore.
    29) Sign out of the Game Center.
    30) Reboot the phone – duhh..
    31) There is something wrong with Greenpois0n wait for the next jailbreaking tool to be released.
    32) Go to the Apple store and replace your phone for a new one – EVEN THIS WILL NOT HELP!!! It’s a software problem not a hardware problem. Many people (check google) have got replacements for their phone and still have this problem.
    33) Finally, the one that works (temporarily) – Restore the phone as a “new iPhone”.

There were people without this problem trying to help with solutions but there was one person in particular who was in many forums – Lawrence Finch. He was NOT helpful, actually USELESS and yet he behaved all high and mighty. He can go suck his own balls.

What I have Done

I started by deleting my email accounts one-by-one as I had gmail, hotmail, yahoo & my company email on my iphone. I did the standard reboot after removing each account. It didn’t work. Tried re-adding the accounts, also didn’t work.

Perhaps it was not the email. I started deleting my apps one-by-one. Rebooting after each removal. Sometimes waiting a day & recharging. Also tried hard resets (explained above). It didn’t work.

Finally I had removed everything on my iPhone. No apps, no mail.

I knew it was not the Jailbreaking because people who have never jailbroken their phones were reporting the same problem. Additionally, I had two phones with my iPhone4 being jailbroken using Greenpois0n and my 3Gs being jailbroken using Redsn0w. Both were facing the problem so it was unlikely that both Greenpois0n and Redsn0w were giving similar problems (although there was a possibility as the jailbreaking community is small and they share resources).

It came the time to Restore my phone as new. The problem went away. I re-added everything. After 3 days, the problem returned.

I tried again, Restored my phone as new. I started adding email accounts one at a time always remembering to turn off push and put on fetch instead. My battery was back to normal. I started adding apps then after a week, the problem came back. Damn. Must have been one of the apps?

I tried again, this time adding only a few popular apps comparing with my friends who were also using theiPhone4. My email accounts were added back but only yahoo, gmail and hotmail. After 3 days the problem returned.
    I tried again, Restored my phone as new, this time not jailbreaking. Added my email & apps. The problem returned.

Trying again, I installed all my apps with no email accounts. The problem went away. I was so convinced it was a problem with the Mail, Contacts & Calendars then suddenly the problem returned after 2 weeks.

That’s it. It must have been my notebook computer which I was Syncing to. I switched to my desktop. Installed iTunes there, re-downloaded all my programs from the App Store. Restored the phone from my desktop. The problem went away initially. Then again, battery drainage restarted after a week.

To make things worse, Apple released the 4.3.0 & 4.3.1 and stopped signing the 4.2.1. I had to use TinyUmbrella to Restore my phone as I was still trying to figure out the battery drain on the 4.2.1. Fortunately Cydia had my shsh.

All in all, I must have restored my phone at least 20 times in the last 3 months. I have been searching the web for answers and found many, many suggested solutions but nothing worked. All this headache is making me wonder if I will still be getting the iPhone5 in June.

My Solution

Finally I found it! Apple take note.

It is not the email accounts as there are no email accounts installed on my phone.

It is one of the downloaded apps from the App store. But which particular app I am unsure.

All this while, when using my iPhone 3Gs and iPhone4, I have not used my 3G data because I have been using WiFi at home and WiFi in the office and WiFi everywhere.

One of the programs using Notifications or Push has been requesting data through the Cellular Data.

The program somehow does not want to use your WiFi.

The program is running in the background and even when you reset your phone, the program will still come on and try to use your Cellular Data. All you have to do, is turn on your cellular data (assuming you have a data plan)

(Settings, General, Network, Cellular Data ---> ON)

Then after 1 minute, turn it off again. – The problem is solved.
    (This is assuming you have a cellular data plan)

No need to Restore your phone. No need to hard reset your phone. No need to reboot your phone.

Oh my gosh.. after 4 months, the solution is so simple. No wonder Apple says there is no problem. They probably have Cellular Data and WiFi in their testing environment.

Come to think of it, that’s why people going overseas (and turn off their cellular data) complain of this poor battery life.

Apple : You can test this out yourself – Take an iPhone4 disable the Cellular Data – add the normal Email accounts and standard apps from the AppStore. Use the phone for a month – I am quite sure you will face a similar problem. Check for similar Usage & Standby times.

- You may want to check out Bump, Facebook, Foursquare, Palringo, Talkbox, Tango, Viber but I suspect its Facebook.

Useful

Thank you all for reading my post. I have spent many days, weeks and sleepless nights trying to solve this problem. If my post has been useful and solved your battery drain problem you can make a contribution for all my effort to my paypal account at [email protected]

Note to Apple
    Dear Apple, if you are reading this I just have to add, I just purchased a new Windows 7 notebook with the second generation Intel i5 Core – arrived yesterday. I actually really really wanted to get the MacBook Pro, but because Apple couldn’t solve my iPhone battery problem, I was forced to purchase a Windows. Perhaps in 3 years time, I will reconsider switching to a Mac.

Fix the problem fast and stop blaming Microsoft ActiveSync for a bug.

Search Keywords

Usage = Standby similar time Battery Drain 4.2.1 iPhone Push Netstat push.apple.com 5223 Notifications hot warm bug amazonaws synchronization Microsoft ActiveSync protocol server calendar System Activity Monitor App Rogue program jailbreak

So one of the apps I have installed is causing this battery drain?

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast