Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by therockk View Post
    Hey guys, before jailbreaking my iPhone 4 i had amazing battery life. Now it RAPIDLY Drains even in standby! im talking 5-6% / HOUR!!!! i have tried everything from turning off push notifications to dimming the screen down to 25%. These are the MobileSubstrate apps that i have installed and running

Activator
    DisplayStack
    My3G
    PreferenceLoader
    Libhide
    UltraSn0w.

Any help?? i am going crazy here ..... i know after jailbreaking your supposed to see little bit more battery drain but this is ridiculous!!!!!! any help will be GREATELY appreciated!!!!
    My battery usually goes out within two hours, sure glad it came with a charger.
    So 5-6% is pretty good compare to mine haha.
    I keep every app running all day every day(:
    "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not"

The problem is the current mobile substrate. I went back to version 3209 and battery drain stopped. I have some issues with items placed in sbsettings dock crashing but otherwise battery is great. U can download it from sauriks repo and ssh it to ur phone. I installed it over the current one. If u install a jb app that uses mobile substrate it will upgrade it again and u will have to downgrade. hopefully they fix this in a mobile substrate upgrade. Try it, it fixed the issue for me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mahgninnuc93's Avatar
    Thanks

After you jailbreak you need to set the phone up as new in iTunes. If you restore from a back up this can cause battery drain. I had to do this when I jailbroke my iPhone 4. So re-jailbreak then set up as a new phone in iTunes and the issue should go away even with sb-settings.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jarod71 View Post
    The problem is the current mobile substrate. I went back to version 3209 and battery drain stopped. I have some issues with items placed in sbsettings dock crashing but otherwise battery is great. U can download it from sauriks repo and ssh it to ur phone. I installed it over the current one. If u install a jb app that uses mobile substrate it will upgrade it again and u will have to downgrade. hopefully they fix this in a mobile substrate upgrade. Try it, it fixed the issue for me.
    I'm using the current MS version and I'm not seeing any excess battery drain.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

How did u jailbreak and what Cydia apps do u have, I am on 3GS so that may be a factor as well. My batt drains 18% an hour with current mobilesubstrate, on older, batt life is normal.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jarod71 View Post
    How did u jailbreak and what Cydia apps do u have, I am on 3GS so that may be a factor as well. My batt drains 18% an hour with current mobilesubstrate, on older, batt life is normal.
    My info is in my info. 3GS and i4. Both on 4.1 done by pwnagetool. Newest MS on both, only ultrasn0w unlock on the 3GS.

edit: Only a few Cydia apps on the i4 (sbsettings, openssh, 3g unrestrictor, attachmentsaver, safari download manager and some others, but those aren't active constantly).
    Last edited by dhamien; 2010-10-30 at 06:21 PM.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Any phone with bad battery life could be down to the battery memory, give this a try.
    Fully charge your phone turn auto lock off, turn screen brightness right up and play your entire music/video collection until your battery drains completely, re charge and repeat about 3 times.
    If you plug your phone in often enough on half charge your battery thinks that's it's capacity so drains alot quicker. By doing the above it kinda resets it.

Just relised Facebook app has push default set to on.

I turnt it off.... battery seems to be better

ive got the same kind of problem with battery dying way to fast..

close all apps and turn your wifi off then go to settings, general, usage and reset stats, now go back one screen and go back into usage and see if any cellular network data has been sent or recieved, everytime i re-enter the usage section more data has been transmitted. But if i turn off notifications this does not happen

anyone have any idea why this is happening ive used pwnagetool to do 2 fresh installs of 4.1 and nothing changes.. as soon as i set up any app with push it continues to use data constantly

Push notifications are constantly communicating with the app/server/site to check for changes/updates so thus are constantly using batt power and data. The more notifications the more power and data. In my opinion we all just too bloody lazy to manually check for updates ha ha Remember when we didn't have these notifications? Was it really so bad?

I have been reading this forum with interest because I am experiencing similar woes on my 32gb (1st iphone).

What I have not seen mentioned is the possibility of simply having a dud or semi dud battery. I own and run batterymill (dot) com and sell many thousands of batteries a year and I am very aware that batteries by their nature often differ wildly even in the same batch. 1% of mine are total duds and maybe 3% are poor. I hasten to add we refund or replace all of these no questions asked.

Another story. My partner and I both bought Macbook pros 3 years ago. With similar use he is on his third battery. I am still getting 90 mins out of my first battery.

I am not saying this is the reason for everyone here but it is something to consider. I know for a fact that it is largely pot luck whether your battery is good or not so good. Why would we be even reading forums if our batteries where great.

My Mrs. and I bought our phones the same week and hers seems a LOT better. Next time I spend a day or two round hers I will charge them both up and run some identical tests on both together. I jailbroke both exactly the same.

I will report back.

I have read all thread, and after some testing i noticed few issues:

1. after restoring phone, setting it as a new iPhone and jailbreaking, battery was amazing. I installed ultrasn0w, sbsettings and openSSH. I had wifi ON, 3G OFF, GPS OFF, mobile data ON, push OFF, 3 email accounts with manual checking. I was only youtubing, listening to music, surfing the web and making few calls and texts. Phone was running 3 days.

2. Then i wanted to charged it. I plugged it into my mac and charged it. After unplugging, battery was draining like a 1% per 10 minutes. Phone was running 1 day and 44% battery left. I was wondering why. Stats showed, that Usage time was nearly the same as Standby time. So there is some hidden app, using CPU. I uninstalled sbsetting, but nothing changed. I have MS 3228 and i don't think this is a culprit. Today, i unplugged phone at 100% at 17:40. I left it 1 hour in airplane mode and battery still had 100%. Then i turned Airplane mode OFF, and also i left wifi OFF. It's 23:25 now, and i still have 99% (Usage 5 Min, Standby 5hrs 40 min)

So i conclude (as someone above me) that the culprit is Wifi. But i can't understand, why was phone running first 3 days nonstop with Wifi ON without battery drain

I also want to add, that i tried to restore phone again, did all the same things, and the phone was first 3 days running like a charm. After first charging, battery was draining again.
    Last edited by Tuxx; 2010-11-20 at 11:33 PM.

Guys,

I have got to this forum for the same reason as you all. My battery life sucked after (?) jailbreak, both on my ipod touch 3g and my brand new iphone 4 (what!?). You should also noticed that I bought my phone unlocked from stock. So, I read a good part of the thread and also some information from many other places. I have found a solution to my problem, but what I found is that the jailbreak was not the cause of the battery drain.

What was happening to me is that I could not leave the devices with the wifi turned on, if that was the case, a full battery of the itouch would be dead by morning, and the iphone 4 would be almost dead. I noticed through the course of some days that while in my house the battery would be drained much, much faster then when at work. I read somewhere that apple was blaming routers for the drain and this kind of made sense in my scenario. I use a Linksys WRT300N as my home router and I have dumped the stock firmware in favor of the wonderful DD-WRT firmware.

What I figured is that there should be some kind of setting to the wireless network which was causing all the problem. The first thing I noticed is that I was forcing the network to workn on a fixed frequency and also a fixed width. I changed both settings to auto and voila, the problem has been completely solved!!!

I do not have a technical answer to why this worked, but it did. Maybe someone in the forum with a better knowledge of wifi networks can give us a hint, but I am so very happy with my battery life now, it is awesome. I hope this solution help some fo you guys.

Cheers!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Too broad of an answer!
    Quote Originally Posted by brunoserra View Post
    What I figured is that there should be some kind of setting to the wireless network which was causing all the problem. The first thing I noticed is that I was forcing the network to workn on a fixed frequency and also a fixed width. I changed both settings to auto and voila, the problem has been completely solved!!!
    Elaborate on what you did, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    Elaborate on what you did, please?
    I sure can.

I went into DD-WRT web gui and clicked in the Wireless tab.
    I changed two options under Wireless, they are Wireless Channel and Channel Width.
    Wireless Channel was originally set to 6 - 2.437 GHz and I changed it to Auto.
    Channel Width was origanlly set to 20 MHz and I changed it to Auto.
    This is all I did and the problem was solved.

I tried what brunoserra suggestion but to no luck. I disabled WiFi and the Battery was fine... sucks since I use wifi at home all the time....

Guys,

I am back to report that the problem returned.
    This is very strange, after a week of battery heaven, hell is back.
    THis means that features I hd changed in DD-WRT were not the cause of the problem.
    However, as this was gone for a week I have to assumed that something worked.
    I would iagine it was the router reset, so I am trying this once again and will report.

Question but how does wifi use drain more than 3g?? Mines the other way around.. Less batt and obviously WAY faster.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 2,652 Posts

It can be either, it depends on your wifi or 3g signals. If your 3g signal is weak, the device will draw more current to receive the signal therefore, getting more juice from the battery. If your wifi signal is weak, it will do the same thing , draws more current again.

iPhone? More like MyPhone krosis's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iwannamod View Post
    Question but how does wifi use drain more than 3g?? Mines the other way around.. Less batt and obviously WAY faster.
    As a general rule, WiFi uses less power in-use, and cellular uses less power in standby. Cellular uses significantly more power to transmit (10-50 mW compared to 1-2 W), but is designed to use almost no power when inactive.

Actually that raises another question for brunoserra, your iPod touch should be turning off it's WiFi radio automatically when it goes to sleep - your router shouldn't be able to do anything on it's own to cause battery drain while the device is asleep. Did you do something specific to keep it turned on?
    Last edited by krosis; 2011-01-20 at 07:37 AM.

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast