Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by therockk View Post
    Downgrading Mobilsubstrate along with few other things actually SOLVED my problem.
    how do you know it was mobilesubstrate and not the "few other things" that was causing your battery drain? also, if you did a reboot or respring after updating, how do you know that that wasn't what resolved your battery drain issue? correlation does not imply causation. you methodology for measuring battery drain may be flawed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sakyr's Avatar
    Thanks

For me a few cycle charges puts me right back on par with normal usage. I have:
    Sbsettings
    Lockinfo
    My3g
    Mywi
    MS 3228
    And a lot more!

On average with heavy usage I'll get 6to7 hours. So for me just a few full cycle charges did the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakyr View Post
    For me a few cycle charges puts me right back on par with normal usage. I have:
    Sbsettings
    Lockinfo
    My3g
    Mywi
    MS 3228
    And a lot more!

On average with heavy usage I'll get 6to7 hours. So for me just a few full cycle charges did the trick.
    Im getting almost the same only problem is I tend to use my phone like 4 hours a day so I can't get a full 2 days of use.

Do you use notifications?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I pulled out libhide and my battery been pretty good so far. We will see at the end of the day though.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

How do I know it was mobilsubstrate? Because I tried disabling all the other things on their own and in different sequences all followed by resprings and hard restarts! It was only after I disabled the other things AND downgraded mobilsubstrate was my problem solved. So my method is not flawed as I solved my battery drain problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcd00 View Post
    how do you know it was mobilesubstrate and not the "few other things" that was causing your battery drain? also, if you did a reboot or respring after updating, how do you know that that wasn't what resolved your battery drain issue? correlation does not imply causation. you methodology for measuring battery drain may be flawed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Sakyr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rettignick View Post
    Im getting almost the same only problem is I tend to use my phone like 4 hours a day so I can't get a full 2 days of use.

Do you use notifications?
    Ya I do. But I only fetch my emails every half hour. That also helps.

might just be our imagination and we are actually using the phone more than we have since the JB was recently released and we are configuring our phones again..because after i was done, i started noticing my battery dying quickly, but this was because I was going through rock/cydia to get my stuff, and so fourth.

been listening to music all day, and went on the web a for about 20 minutes, and was checking email about every 2 hours at work. I originally started the day off at 70%. 20% or so at work while doing this seems about right..

running 4.0.1 with the latest MS, sbsettings, and winterboard.

Ok so I'm back to stock, I've been surfing mmi for 15 minutes and still at 100% this morning this same action resulted in 1% drops every 3-5 minutes all services are on and I have 3 email accounts set up. I am using a 16gig. There is def something wrong after jailbreaking maybe not the JB itself but something after that process. I'm going to re break again and install ssh simply for netflix and maybe a quick SMS reply app and keep it simple (just dropped to 99% about 22 minutes worth of Internet use only) I'm stumped guess I'll keep the trial and error going.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mine is jailbroke with Ultrasn0w installed... Nothing more (no sbsettings, no winterboard etc)...
    I did a test overnight and my battery drop from 12% to 10% in 8 hours (standby).
    I think thats OK, right?

But compared to famoussasjohn's screenshot, my phone's battery seems to be running out MUCH faster..
    I know that maybe depends on how you USE your phone along the day.
    Perhaps I spent my "usage hours" on tasks that consume more battery.
    But I'm not sure about this after all...

EDIT: It seems to be a ultrasnow problem, since famoussasjohn doesn't have unlocked his phone.
    And there is a great diference between our battery performance.
    Last edited by fpena; 2010-08-23 at 06:25 AM.

I really think its how you use ur phone. What you've installed. How its set up, and how it now operates with that configuration. I've installed so much crap i dont even think my phone knows what its doin lol. (3G 16g on 3.0 JB Unlkd. BTW) I have every setting like brightness down to the minimum. One thing i would like is at least one person to try the repeat free memory app. When i installed it i left it for about 2 days with barely any use whatsoever. I couldnt believe my eyes when it only dropped about 2%! Usually i could lose 10-20 in a day! At that rate i couldve left my phone for a month! Unfortunately, i think my phone got sick and has been dripping power like crazy and goin into safe mode alot. Especially when i try to change the brightness through SB settings. (any help would be of high value )
    Anyways, i'd like to hear from someone elses experience with this app because i cant seem to find any posts about it..maybe it could be the solution to everones problems? Or i'm the only one with this problem..
    Please let me know! Thx.
    Last edited by iwannamod; 2010-08-22 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Forget somethin

After a full night (around 8h), right after a FULL charge (to 100%), my phone was still at 100% when I woke up (iphone 4 + jailbroken).

I thought my battery was crap too (in usage mode, I think it is now) and I decided to let it drain over the night (a test I remember doing on my 3GS back then that made it drop a few %).
    I received a text message during the night, and I had 3G + WIFI enabled + push notifcations in whatsapp.

So anyway, even if there is something that is killing the battery in usage mode, for sure MY battery (and maybe yours ?) rocks in stand by mode. Now as saurik stated on macrumors, 100% doesn't mean 100%. It could be 105% iin my case, therefore it was still at 100% when I woke up.

But when I began to use it, it dropped almost instantly to 99% then 98% etc... Just by sending a few texts, which is too fast IMO.

so finally i want to share my experiences, too (please excuse my english!).

i did many tests with my factory-unlock-uk-iphone-4 and jb. i always got the battery drain problem (while using 1% every minute, 20% in 5 hours standby). finally i even did a complete restore in dfu-mode and set it up as new phone. then i leave it in standby for 3 hours and used a little bit for surfing and e-mail and still got 100% (no jb). then i jb'kd again with jbme.com and already while the jb-process the % falling down 5%. when the jb was finished i did nothing! no installation of any cydia apps... nothing! and i saw the % falling. while using as well as in standby. so for me it is in fact the jailbreak causing the battery drain problem. really really sad! what a luck that i'm at least factory unlock.

Yes, factory settings will get you better batt usage. But who likes a stock iphone? The main goal is to JB and tweak our phones to our liking and full extent and also find a way to maximize battery life. Max fun for least cost

yes... of course you're absolutely right. i loved my modified iphone. but it makes no fun anymore if i have to worry about your battery every time you are out of home. very very sad :-(

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Today I woke up my phone from a overnight charge in standby.
    It was 100% and I only got a call of about 30 seconds..

When I arrived at work my battery was 99%
    Everything happened in about 30 minutes...

wtf!

I've been getting an average of 4.3 min per 1% usage. That's real usage like internet, cydia browsing, games
    Not phony usage like ipod music. There's a reason apple's stats page have ipod usage seperate as almost double normal usage.

I never use push, notifications mostly off, location services mostly off (god bless sbsettings). fetch every 15 min, winterboard, lockinfo, sbsettings, NO unlock, 3g on, wifi generally on.

I FOUND A POSSIBLE SOLUTION TO MY PROBLEM

I had a problem with battery drain, and after an intensive test i could conclude that the wifi was eating up my battery, and this was only when wifi was connceted to a router. This didnt happen when you had wifi on and not connected to a router/accesspoint. I had checked if the push, sbsettting, mobilesubstrate and all the other solution found in this thread and none of this helped me. Then i found an acticle below that about the wifi and mobile devices:

Your Smartphone Battery's Worst Enemy? The Wi-Fi Radio - www.enterprisemobiletoday.com

I started to look at my router, as this happend that my phone will drain the battery during the night on the standby, useually 10-20 %. I today had an extra router and tried to setup one for my wifes iphone 4 on the old router: Zyxel, and the router iphone 4 on the new router: Netgear, and guess what i found out that mine on the new router only dropped 4% while hers were still dropping 15%. So i must have someone in this forum to try to test this, if they have a spare router (or borrow one).

My setup which works: I have sbsettings, 3 email accounts (2 exchange, 1 on them google) and hotmail pop3, all set to fetch 30 min. I have no unlock, only JB. 3G and data off, as i am always on wifi.

Test methods i used to find out if you have a wifi/fetch/push problem, where all background programs were closed:
    1) Turn on wifi and not connected to router overnight, and check - GOOD
    2) Turn on wifi and connect but put mails on manually check - NOT SO GOOD
    3) Turn on wifi and connect delete some of the mail accounts, to see if one of them could cause your problem, and add one by one.
    4) Turn on wifi and connect to a router with no security,password or mac filters - (Remember to turn on the security again!)
    5) Finally change router and test - WOHAA nice battery GOOD. (Only connect your iphone, as the above article say something about that all devices connected to a access point could maybe not be served to put in standby thats why you see a problem)

Hope you guys find the same results. Remember to press "thanks!" if it helped you guys ;-)
    Last edited by dss; 2010-08-26 at 07:00 AM. Reason: spell mistakes corrected

Quote Originally Posted by fpena View Post
    Mine is jailbroke with Ultrasn0w installed... Nothing more (no sbsettings, no winterboard etc)...
    I did a test overnight and my battery drop from 12% to 10% in 8 hours (standby).
    I think thats OK, right?

But compared to famoussasjohn's screenshot, my phone's battery seems to be running out MUCH faster..
    I know that maybe depends on how you USE your phone along the day.
    Perhaps I spent my "usage hours" on tasks that consume more battery.
    But I'm not sure about this after all...

EDIT: It seems to be a ultrasnow problem, since famoussasjohn doesn't have unlocked his phone.
    And there is a great diference between our battery performance.
    it has been know that the ultrasnow unlock does cause the battery to drain at a faster rate, they said they fixed it, but it still does a battery drain still. when 4.1 comes out and the jailbreak is out for that as well, I will update to it and test it out on stock FW, then on jailbroken FW to see. All i have installed now is SBsettings, winterboard, and usually use my phone for music at work, and do some web searching for about 20-30 minutes, and check emails every hour or so. I just charged my phone after 3 days of standby time again with 7 hours of usage. I started the day off at 33%, and came home with 19%. began watching youtube with WiFi enabled, and took me about 30-45 minutes to get it to 8%. began charging my phone at about 5%. will try again and see where my battery is. I uninstalled SSH, and my battery life seemed to improve after I uninstalled it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here's my last stats
    Most of my usage time was playing games.
    Maybe it's ok. But some guys at this forum got a unbelieveble battery performance. Much better than mine :/
    I hope that Dev Team is considering all these issues for a future ultrasnow update.

Last edited by fpena; 2010-08-30 at 04:45 AM.

hey guys, i followed someone's method of downgrading to mobilesubstrate 3226, and my battery has dramatically improved. however, it is now impossible to download new cydia items without downloading the new mobilesubstrate along with it. is there a way to tell cydia not to update it?

Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast