Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

I've switched to a pushmail app that just sends me push messages when I've gotten new mail and then I fire up mail app to retrieve it. I've got push/fetch off on mail app. Seeing a bit of an increase in battery life, however time spent actually using the phone is whats burning through my battery still.

Usage: 3 hours
    Standby: 13h 25m
    Percentage: 70%

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah, i've noticed my issue with stand-by times are much better but i'm still having issues. wqhen you just use it for 1-2minutes it will knock a percent off. i've been at work 10-12:50 today and i'm down to 84%. it's just abysmal for light usage.

therockk i'm gonna try disabling those items in SBSettings, i'm at 78% now so we'll see how it goes in a few hours.

update:
    12:49 with barely any usage (2 texts messages, i played 3 songs on the iPod) and i'm at 21%. lame.
    Last edited by kevinl; 2010-08-18 at 06:55 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinl For This Useful Post:

therockk (2010-08-18)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I have the 32GB iPhone 4. I got my phone a few days before its US launch ... initially i thought the battery drain was a "bad batch" problem. But now that i have fixed my battery draining issues i know that not to be true. Ya let me know how switching those things off in SBSettings goes .. if you need i can send you screenshots of what i have installed in Cydia along with screenshots of all the other apps installed on the homepage.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinl View Post
    yeah, i've noticed my issue with stand-by times are much better but i'm still having issues. wqhen you just use it for 1-2minutes it will knock a percent off. i've been at work 10-12:50 today and i'm down to 84%. it's just abysmal for light usage.

edit:
    therockk i'm gonna try disabling those items in SBSettings, i'm at 78% now so we'll see how it goes in a few hours.

2nd edit:
    also, anyone that's reporting battery drain that's been following this thread could you please post whether your device is 32GB or 16GB? maybe even give the model number.
    heck, even people that are reporting no problems should chime in with their xxGB and model number.

Well I had mine go pretty well on a charge. Then I installed 3G unrestrictor which demanded mobilesubtrate 3228 instead of my trusty 3226 and now batterylife is awful, even with 3G unrestrictor turned off. Standby is okay but usage burns throughout 1% per minute or so! I will uninstall 3G unrestrictor and try keeping 3228 of mobilesubstrate and see if the problem pertains.

Has anyone thought to hit up anyone on the Dev Team regarding mobilesubstrate or the possibility that something within or around it is causing a battery drain?

Thanks

Why don't you just downgrade the MS now back to 3226? When i installed 3G Unrestrictor it upgraded my MS to 3228 ... after installation i just made sure 3G Unrestrictor was running ok than i downgraded MS back to 3226 .. and everything works awesome .. the instructions on how todo this are on page 5 or 6 of this thread ... if you need any help let me know!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobtf View Post
    Well I had mine go pretty well on a charge. Then I installed 3G unrestrictor which demanded mobilesubtrate 3228 instead of my trusty 3226 and now batterylife is awful, even with 3G unrestrictor turned off. Standby is okay but usage burns throughout 1% per minute or so! I will uninstall 3G unrestrictor and try keeping 3228 of mobilesubstrate and see if the problem pertains.

The "mobilesubstrate question" seems like something that needs to be investigated beyond a simple downgrade - I shot a not to a couple Dev Team members on Twitter - We need to look into what the issue or handoff is versus the downgrade, which I've tried a few times to no avail.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i downgraded mobilesubstrate when i was at 87%, that was at 11:24 today. now it's 2:30 and i'm at 70%. i don't think that worked for me.

Thumbs up Think I'm done
    I am done here (for now), I believe I'm getting more than adequate performance on my JB i4 now. I'm not going to get greedy at this point, I remember when just getting 1 hour of usage from a PocketPC was "outstanding," so the fact that I got 6 hours of usage and 1 and a half days of standby is perfectly fine for me. This performance is still better than my i3G, so I'm a happy camper.

A note to all the MS downgraders, 3226 has the same battery performance as 3228, my tests have confirmed this. There is something else causing excessive drain for non-unlockers like myself, and I have not pinpointed it yet.

Here are the details on my device and setup:

i4 32g - got it on launch day (first batch)
    JB, Not Unlocked

Mobilesubstrate 3228
    Rock
    MyWi
    My3G (only selected apps enabled)
    iNes
    iSnes
    Make it Mine
    5 Icon Dock
    BT Stack (for Wiimote gaming)

Wifi Always On
    3G Always On
    Push Notifications On
    Mail set to Manual -> Using Pushmail.app for email push notifications (works great)
    Screen Brightness Auto

Things I DON'T have installed and have Uninstalled during my tests:

Libhide
    Preference Loader
    Activator
    SBsettings
    OpenSSH

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_2137.png  

The above is similar to what I get on a 3GS (unlocked) with just 2G, wifi and fetch email. I'd say you're golden.

EDIT: Of course, the 4 has a 33% (?) bigger battery, accounting for some of this. Still, I think with mixed use any iPhone with a newer processor running newer apps that may tax memory and processor power can not be expected to offer more than approximately six hours of usage, or a day's standby.

Quick question, if I set up as new through iTunes can I use jailbreakme.com again afterwards? Also when I log in to cydia in the top it states in green that 4.0.1 something something SHSH...does this mean that I am able to restore? How do I retrieve this?

Quote Originally Posted by megajuliani View Post
    Quick question, if I set up as new through iTunes can I use jailbreakme.com again afterwards? Also when I log in to cydia in the top it states in green that 4.0.1 something something SHSH...does this mean that I am able to restore? How do I retrieve this?
    If your SHSH blobs are saved, you should be able to restore to 4.0.1 through a program like Tiny Umbrella. 4.0.2 can not be used, because it patches the jailbreakme.com "exploit". That's the only difference between the two versions, anyway.

MOD: Since this is a bit off-topic, maybe move to an appropriate or separate thread?
    Last edited by kidblue; 2010-08-18 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Off-topic post

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

x999x those are pretty good numbers! and you've got the 32GB one so i'll try removing those files and see if there's improvement. 50% right now at 4:50pm

Uh... I deleted libhide while my battery was at 95%. It automatically shot up to 97% when I re-sprang after uninstalling it... Could this be a sign?

From Saurik on the macrumors.com iphone hacks forum:

Saurik says that mobile substrate does NOT affect battery life.

[ame=http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=10857732&postcount=59]Mac Forums - View Single Post - Solved the battery draining issue[/ame]

A) Thank you for not only telling me, but providing a link to this forum. Most users simply talk to each other, and do not report issues.

B) However, this thread is not providing any concrete numbers, or any indication of testing methodology. Meanwhile, there is disagreement among users as to what version is even causing the problem.

Let me be clear about this: MobileSubstrate doesn't actually /do/ anything. If you install just it, and you let your phone then sit there not doing anything, it will /never/ use any CPU, ever. When a program starts up it is injected into its process space, it iterates a folder to see if it should inject anything else, and that's it: if there is nothing in that folder then its involvement in that process is entirely done.

This regime is so thoroughly enforced that the engine it comes with for letting extensions modify code is actually bundled separately, and will not end up in any processes unless one of the extensions actually needs it and requests it.

It's even better than this, though: MobileSubstrate only even loaded anything at all in user space on the primary CPU. Put differently, it only affects normal boring applications. This entire CPU is simply put to sleep when the phone is on standby, and is only woken up occasionally for timers, like an alarm or a calendar event.

I have just now verified that this is the behavior I'm seeing on my device: the entire night my phone was asleep, except at 3am when it woke up to do this "provisioning profile janitor" task that Apple apparently thinks is important enough to do every day at 3am, and which I had never heard of before and am now incredibly curious about the purpose of ;P.

Therefore, it is very difficult to understand how MobileSubstrate could possibly cause whatever issue you feel you are experiencing.

Meanwhile, things people really care about, things like battery life, memory usage, and signal strength, are very difficult to measure. The reason for this is that devices that are this complex use these resources in difficult ways, and they aren't things that you can directly just count.

Like, you can't use the battery percentage indicator to do this, as there is a /large/ amount of complex math that is going on just to pretend that it has any clue how much battery you have.

Example: if you leave it charging while it is at 100%, it typically will keep charging for quite a while, as it doesn't really know it is charged fully, and will continue to trickle charge as it thinks is safe. Then, when it starts discharging, its knowledge of how charged the battery /may/ have updated, allowing it to start decreasing the battery life. However, it also may have not: it depends on how many times it has seen itself in this state.

Then there are issues that simply rebooting the phone is going to cause major changes for a lot of users. As the device is used for a while, memory in processes starts getting fragmented, which leads it to page more and more. You can restart SpringBoard, which helps some, but you really need to reboot to totally fix the problem.

For most users, the only time they reboot is when they upgrade or downgrade MobileSubstrate. Therefore, users who believe "man, my battery performance really sucks" go and do something, and then are like "wow, this helped a lot, thanks!". Unless you switch back and forth multiple times, performing a careful test each time, the data is therefore totally worthless.

Meanwhile, I happen to know that planetbeing has been doing extensive tests regarding the battery usage of ultrasn0w, as he became paranoid that he was doing something weird with the debug serial port after receiving a number of comments like this. As far as I understand, these tests have shown "no drain" (whether you are using ultrasn0w 1.0 or 1.1, btw), and as ultrasn0w uses MobileSubstrate, I can infer.

Finally, there are also comments here that make it sound like jailbreaking itself is an expected battery drain, and that downgrading MobileSubstrate is bringing users "almost" back to where they had been before jailbreaking. Jailbreaking literally changes a few bytes in the kernel, and what it does is actually /bypasses/ code; if anything, if we could measure battery life effectively, what we'd find is that jailbroken phones get infinitesimally /better/ battery life than non-jailbroken phones.

So, please: if you would like to report a battery drain issue in something, I really need you to provide your testing protocol, so we can actually analyze it and determine if it is a true cause of concern or not. When I did similar things for people claiming memory usage issues with WinterBoard, I found that there were serious issues in the "common sense" way people were trying to measure that, and was able to elucidate some the issues.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to onefish2 For This Useful Post:

iwannamod (2010-08-22)

i concur with what saurik stated and it echoes what i've posted before. that is, there's no point in downgrading mobilesubstrate, and that people shouldn't start measuring their battery from 100% since the drop from 100% to 99% is inaccurate. also since there's no consistent way to measure "usage", because it could mean anything, reporting usage and standby times is somewhat pointless since everyone is different.

best tips right now are:
    - drain battery completely and recharge to full and keep it plugged in for at least an hour more even after it's full.
    - do a couple hard resets (hold power button and home button simultaneously for 10 seconds til the phone shuts off, then power back on).
    - avoid using gmail push with exchange if you can.
    - kill any apps that use location services (gps, maps, etc.) when not in use, as the locationd service my continue to run and use some cpu in the background. same goes for voip apps that may keep your wifi or 3g connection active.

yea, i am JB running 4.0 on my iphone 4, and when i originally jailbroke it, I did nothing to it for a day. I was shocked that my battery life had not changed at all! I was so excited that I started downloading everything I had on my 3g. everything was going well until I downloaded Mywi and 3g unrestrictor. It seems that as soon as I download those two programs, my battery went downhill. I have uninstalled the two and my battery problem remains. I am thinking about restoring the phone to my original settings, since I didn't have a problem before, but I was wondering if someone could send me a link to download 4.0 software. thanks!

I am at 89% right now
    Usage: 1 hour 12 minutes
    standby: 3 hours 36 minutes.

All on Wifi

doesnt seem too good to me, but it may be better than others have reported.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    After unistalling signal and mywi my batteryy works great now

Thanks

What you are saying make sense except for the part where downgrading Mobilsubstrate dosnt help. My iPhone 4 was draining 5-10% just when it was on standby. Downgrading Mobilsubstrate along with few other things actually SOLVED my problem. Now if i leave the phone on standby at lets say 20% ... an hour and a half later it is still at 20% ....

Quote Originally Posted by onefish2 View Post
    From Saurik on the macrumors.com iphone hacks forum:

Saurik says that mobile substrate does NOT affect battery life.

Mac Forums - View Single Post - Solved the battery draining issue

A) Thank you for not only telling me, but providing a link to this forum. Most users simply talk to each other, and do not report issues.

B) However, this thread is not providing any concrete numbers, or any indication of testing methodology. Meanwhile, there is disagreement among users as to what version is even causing the problem.

Let me be clear about this: MobileSubstrate doesn't actually /do/ anything. If you install just it, and you let your phone then sit there not doing anything, it will /never/ use any CPU, ever. When a program starts up it is injected into its process space, it iterates a folder to see if it should inject anything else, and that's it: if there is nothing in that folder then its involvement in that process is entirely done.

This regime is so thoroughly enforced that the engine it comes with for letting extensions modify code is actually bundled separately, and will not end up in any processes unless one of the extensions actually needs it and requests it.

It's even better than this, though: MobileSubstrate only even loaded anything at all in user space on the primary CPU. Put differently, it only affects normal boring applications. This entire CPU is simply put to sleep when the phone is on standby, and is only woken up occasionally for timers, like an alarm or a calendar event.

I have just now verified that this is the behavior I'm seeing on my device: the entire night my phone was asleep, except at 3am when it woke up to do this "provisioning profile janitor" task that Apple apparently thinks is important enough to do every day at 3am, and which I had never heard of before and am now incredibly curious about the purpose of ;P.

Therefore, it is very difficult to understand how MobileSubstrate could possibly cause whatever issue you feel you are experiencing.

Meanwhile, things people really care about, things like battery life, memory usage, and signal strength, are very difficult to measure. The reason for this is that devices that are this complex use these resources in difficult ways, and they aren't things that you can directly just count.

Like, you can't use the battery percentage indicator to do this, as there is a /large/ amount of complex math that is going on just to pretend that it has any clue how much battery you have.

Example: if you leave it charging while it is at 100%, it typically will keep charging for quite a while, as it doesn't really know it is charged fully, and will continue to trickle charge as it thinks is safe. Then, when it starts discharging, its knowledge of how charged the battery /may/ have updated, allowing it to start decreasing the battery life. However, it also may have not: it depends on how many times it has seen itself in this state.

Then there are issues that simply rebooting the phone is going to cause major changes for a lot of users. As the device is used for a while, memory in processes starts getting fragmented, which leads it to page more and more. You can restart SpringBoard, which helps some, but you really need to reboot to totally fix the problem.

For most users, the only time they reboot is when they upgrade or downgrade MobileSubstrate. Therefore, users who believe "man, my battery performance really sucks" go and do something, and then are like "wow, this helped a lot, thanks!". Unless you switch back and forth multiple times, performing a careful test each time, the data is therefore totally worthless.

Meanwhile, I happen to know that planetbeing has been doing extensive tests regarding the battery usage of ultrasn0w, as he became paranoid that he was doing something weird with the debug serial port after receiving a number of comments like this. As far as I understand, these tests have shown "no drain" (whether you are using ultrasn0w 1.0 or 1.1, btw), and as ultrasn0w uses MobileSubstrate, I can infer.

Finally, there are also comments here that make it sound like jailbreaking itself is an expected battery drain, and that downgrading MobileSubstrate is bringing users "almost" back to where they had been before jailbreaking. Jailbreaking literally changes a few bytes in the kernel, and what it does is actually /bypasses/ code; if anything, if we could measure battery life effectively, what we'd find is that jailbroken phones get infinitesimally /better/ battery life than non-jailbroken phones.

So, please: if you would like to report a battery drain issue in something, I really need you to provide your testing protocol, so we can actually analyze it and determine if it is a true cause of concern or not. When I did similar things for people claiming memory usage issues with WinterBoard, I found that there were serious issues in the "common sense" way people were trying to measure that, and was able to elucidate some the issues.

after all of this i am leaning towards a battery calibration issue

Those who have downgraded MS i bet you if you upgrade again you will notice no difference. I have a feeling draining the battery and recharging it to 100% to recalibrate the battery + a few reboots is what is actually showing better numbers.

I have since upgraded all my apps to the latest versions and showing some good numbers.

around 2 days standby and around 5-6 hours usage for me now.

Page 30 of 35 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast