Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

I have had the iPhone 3, 3Gs and now an iPhone 4. So am I very familiar with the phone and the battery life.

On the iPhone 4 pre JB I had the following:

Brightness all the way up
    Bluetooth - always on
    Wireless - on
    3G - on
    Location services - on
    Push gmail
    Push exchange
    Mobile me push with calendar and contacts
    lots of other push services

I use it all the time all day long. I get over 20 txts and 100 emails a day. And make/place at least 10 calls a day.

I charged my phone every night and when it went into the dock it was always around 40 to 50%. Not 20% like I see now.

As I said earlier I can watch the battery percentage meter tick down every 3 to 4 minutes of use while in my hand.

I was just in an apple store. I took an iPhone off the charger and played with it for 10 minutes. Even played 2 games and the battery was still at 100%

Something is really wrong and doing a restore and then a re JB is not going to do a thing. So if you are coming across this some time in the near future... don't bother doing a restore.
    Last edited by onefish2; 2010-08-17 at 03:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by onefish2 View Post
    I have had the iPhone 3, 3Gs and now an iPhone 4. So am I very familiar with the phone and the battery life.
    On the iPhone 4 pre JB I had the following:
    Brightness all the way up
    Bluetooth - always on
    Wireless - on
    3G - on
    Location services - on
    Push gmail
    Push exchange
    Mobile me push with calendar and contacts
    lots of other push services
    I use it all the time all day long. I get over 20 txts and 100 emails a day. And make/place at least 10 calls a day.
    I charged my phone every night and when it went into the dock it was always around 40 to 50%. Not 20% like I see now.
    As I said earlier I can watch the battery percentage meter tick down every 3 to 4 minutes of use while in my hand.
    I was just in an apple store. I took an iPhone off the charger and played with it for 10 minutes. Even played 2 games and the battery was still at 100%
    Something is really wrong and doing a restore and then a re JB is not going to do a thing. So if you are coming across this some time in the bnear future... don't bother doing a restore.
    So if we call out the jailbreak - Does that mean Cydia? Mobilesubstrate? You're obviously not unlocked, so you're not blaming ultrasn0w like many of us, right?

Also, how did your non-jailbreak 4 compare with the 3GS in terms of battery?

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    That said, push notifications have been purported to cost +20% of battery life compared to polling or fetching manually.
    do not confuse push email (via exchange) with push notifications.

push gmail has been known to drain the battery more than usual (even google admits this).

push notifications has minimal impact on battery life. maybe 1-2% for an entire day.

So if we call out the jailbreak - Does that mean Cydia? Mobilesubstrate? You're obviously not unlocked, so you're not blaming ultrasn0w like many of us, right?

Also, how did your non-jailbreak 4 compare with the 3GS in terms of battery?
    Correct. Not unlocked with Ultrasn0w.

iPhone 4 has much, much better battery life than the 3GS.

Good point re: push notifications vs. email. It's obviously Exchange that can cause double-digit drops in battery life versus a reasonable polling/fetching schedule.

onefish2:

In my comparison between the 3GS and 4 regardless of an unlock/jailbreak - I've noticed about 6 hours usage on the 3GS versus about 9 on the 4. Does that gel?
    Also, how is your jailbreak and Cydia and mobilesubstrate?

onefish2:

In my comparison between the 3GS and 4 regardless of an unlock/jailbreak - I've noticed about 6 hours usage on the 3GS versus about 9 on the 4. Does that gel?
    Also, how is your jailbreak and Cydia and mobilesubstrate?
    Yes. Right on. At least 33% better on battery life.

Jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. Cydia is working just fine. Mobilesubstrate is the latest version. Over the weekend I removed Bite SMS and Mobilesubstrate. Removing Mobilesubstrate did not enhance the battery life. Nothing removed has so far.

Good to know about mobilesubstrate. Folks are swearing by the downgrade, but it didn't work for me - literally - I had to restore and go through the hassle. I can't remove it because I'm in need of ultrasn0w, which totally depends on mobilesubstrate.

I've been almost exclusively on the 3GS since the last jailbreak/unlock and I'm still baffled at 6-ish hours of use. I guess it still is a "day's worth", maybe plug it in if I'm going out for the night for a few, but I'm baffled that Scrabble and a handful of emails do it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I have installed:
    -SBsettings
    -BiteSMS
    -Winterboard
    -Various Emulators
    -Rock

After lurking this thread for quite awhile, I found an easy way to fix my battery problem. My iPhone is jailbroken factory unlocked and running 4.01 and had abysmal battery performance 5-7% an hour on standby(Airplane mode on) and 1% every 4 mins on light usuage(safari,email,etc).

I charged the iPhone all the way to 100% from 0% then discharged the battery during the course of the day and then let it charge overnight. The following day I got amazing battery life 18 hrs standby and 4 hours of heavy use(games,videos,4 calls) with 70% left at the end of the day.

I think it's the miscalibration of the battery that caused it to seem to drain faster then normal and a full discharge/overnight recharge fixes it. Anyways hope this helps

-Sheps
    Last edited by N7 Cmdr Shepard; 2010-08-17 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N7 Cmdr Shepard View Post
    After lurking this thread for quite awhile, I found an easy way to fix my battery problem. My iPhone is jailbroken factory unlocked and running 4.01 and had abysmal battery performance 5-7% ana hour on standby and 1% every 4 mins when on wifi.

I charged the iPhone all the way to 100% from 0% then discharged the battery during the course of the day and then let it charge overnight. The following day I got amazing battery life 18 hrs standby and 4 hours of heavy use(games,videos,4 calls) with 70% left.

I think it's the miscalibration of the battery that caused it to seem to drain faster then normal and a full discharge/overnight recharge fixes it. Anyways hope this helps you guys

-Sheps
    I think you may be onto something here....

Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y View Post
    I think you may be onto something here....
    Would it not be comical if it was as simple as doing a complete discharge/recharge cycle. I would laugh.

On a different note I seem to be getting decent battery life today,

1hr 31min use
    11hr 2 min standby

Mobilesubstrate .3228
    push notifications on (facebook and words with friends)
    fetch gmail (15 min)
    WIFI off
    bluetooth off
    location services on
    3G on

Overall I seem to be not doing horrible, however I think the fact that I changed my password for Gmail last night and not having updated it on my phone has a lot to do with my battery life being better.

I get a day of normal-heavy use out of my phone from like 830am to like 1-3am and like 6 hours of use normally so I'm kinda happy. It does drain fast when in use and that sucks but I guess I'll just have to deal with it (and when I charge it nightly it's never completely dead).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rettignick View Post
    Would it not be comical if it was as simple as doing a complete discharge/recharge cycle. I would laugh.

On a different note I seem to be getting decent battery life today,

1hr 31min use
    11hr 2 min standby

Mobilesubstrate .3228
    push notifications on (facebook and words with friends)
    fetch gmail (15 min)
    WIFI off
    bluetooth off
    location services on
    3G on

Overall I seem to be not doing horrible, however I think the fact that I changed my password for Gmail last night and not having updated it on my phone has a lot to do with my battery life being better.

I get a day of normal-heavy use out of my phone from like 830am to like 1-3am and like 6 hours of use normally so I'm kinda happy. It does drain fast when in use and that sucks but I guess I'll just have to deal with it (and when I charge it nightly it's never completely dead).
    Actually it is. I've tried all the solutions in the thread and none of them helped my battery life. I did a full discharge/charge and voila an adequate battery that can last a full day or even 2.

hey guys

i m also ennoyed by this
    been searching for solution for this for 2 days

ever thought that this may be the ios 4 problem?

u see, if u open an apps, it will stay in the background forever
    even after you shut iphone down and restart it

i m trying to kill all the background apps and see if this help
    (ie, double clicking home, then long press on an apps, and minus all the backgrounds)

btw, any solution to close an apps completely in ios 4 EASILY??

Quote Originally Posted by fatboywah View Post
    u see, if u open an apps, it will stay in the background forever
    even after you shut iphone down and restart it
    this isn't exactly true. what you're seeing is more like a RECENT ITEMS list after you reboot your phone. the apps are not actually in memory.

if an app has been updated for ios4.0, then it will use some memory in its "frozen" state after you close it. but it won't draw much power as long as the app isn't explicitly doing something in the background, like voip, file transfer, gps, etc. if you restart your phone, they will be removed from memory and their "frozen" state is lost.

there are exceptions, like skype that partially survive reboots (the background service for voip starts up again when you reboot if it was in memory prior to restarting).

so think of the task switcher as a combination of recent items (not updated for ios4) and "frozen" apps (updated for ios4). either way, apple designed it so that the iphone's "multitasking" wouldn't drain the battery as much as simply keeping the app fully running in the background.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Well ... finally my iPhone 4 battery is low!! last time i charged it was the night before! Here is a screenshot of my usage. Again this is my setup!

MobilSubstrate 3226 - Downgraded
    Ultrasn0w 1.1-1
    SBSettings - All its MobileSubstrate Addons like Activator, Libhide, DisplayStack, PreferenceLoader
    3G Unrestrictor - Disabled through SBSettings when not in use

BTW, in SBSettings in Mobilsubstrate addons i have these turned to OFF - DsplayStack, PreferenceLoader, libhide. Someone should try to duplicate what i have setup on my iPhone and see if that helps them .... like i said previously .. setting up my iPhone 4 like this is what solved my battery drain problem!

Thanks

I dont know if its relevant just an observation but on my 3gs using ischeduler you cannot make it power on the phone when its turned off as everything is shutdown..but..on the iphone 4 if I set a schedule to power on at 07:00 then turn the phone off the phone powers on at 07:00 so it must be running some services all the time even when its powered off..
    R.

Quote Originally Posted by g0sbv View Post
    I dont know if its relevant just an observation but on my 3gs using ischeduler you cannot make it power on the phone when its turned off as everything is shutdown..but..on the iphone 4 if I set a schedule to power on at 07:00 then turn the phone off the phone powers on at 07:00 so it must be running some services all the time even when its powered off..
    R.
    You got ischeduler to work in your ip4? mine wont even install

Thanks

works fine only issue I had is backgrounder had to set an overide for it to off as crashed on startup version is 1.1.1 and theres an issue with the licence it grabs the wrong details for the imie at the moment have mailed the dev..
    R.

Hi there. Sorry but im still on my 3G and just wanted to say that i downloaded the "repeat free memory" app from "xsellize" and it worked amazingly! Dont know if it would help u on iphone 4 4.0.x let me know though.
    P.s. Has anyone used the repos "sinful" and "xselize"? Cuz thats where i got some cool stuff but now my phone is acting really strange..like always goin into safe mode, and i have this sun symbol beside the batt indicator. Also it changed to a picture of a paper airplane too. F**kd up stuff. Do i have a virus? And who would do such a thing?!

Sinful and Xsellize are repos with cracked stuff. Cracks don't always work too well. I have to admit I haven't even bothered with cracking programs that cost a few bucks. I did download some app to see if it worked well, since there was no trial. Then I shelled out the 4 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by rettignick View Post
    I have push on and one IMAP email and I dont get 2 and a half days of full use. What are your usage statistics now from the settings app?
    At this moment : Battery at 77%
    Usage : 2 hours 4 minutes
    Standby : 19 hours 18 minutes

About 50 mails received and 10 answers (most of it on a push mail account), 2x20mn of iPod in the subway and some apps (Facebook, Twitter, ...)
    Oh... And I forgot : Wifi is allways off, I'm starting it with SBSettings when I need (like appstore updates/download)

Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast