Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by Kama1314 View Post
    Yea thats what i got too, but i m having a usage drain, when i use the phone for wifi or game the battery drain 1% every 3-5min, that shouldn't be right for a normal iphone battery.
    Actually that is fine for gaming, as a full charge offer 1 hour and 30 mins of 3d gaming

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    This is what I've been wanting to find out also
    The other night, with NO Ultrasn0w, but with SBSettings, BiteSMS and LockInfo and Signal, I lost 16% battery overnight (WiFi, BT off, phone idle). I had not downgraded MobileSubstrate, so would have been on the latest version as of a couple of days ago.

I restored back to 4.01 stock, and set up as a new phone (which was super annoying). I charged until 100% (proper 100%, as reported by Accura), and then removed charger at 11:50pm. Woke in the morning at 6:00am, and by 6:45am (after using phone checking some emails etc) the phone had only just gone to 99%.

Now I repeat, I never installed Ultrasn0w at any point, since my phone is unlocked and I have no need for it.

We know that Signal is also a culprit, and others have reported BiteSMS as being a culprit. In my experience I fully believe this. I am going to Jailbreak again and install one app per day, and take notes on the battery stats dutring usage and overnight standby each day. All I can say for sure is that my drainage was definitely NOT caused by Ultrasn0w.

Quote Originally Posted by Enosmac View Post
    Actually that is fine for gaming, as a full charge offer 1 hour and 30 mins of 3d gaming
    Oh, i never know about that, if thats right then i won't have any problem now.

Thanks

As someone who has been following (and participating) heavily in this thread, restoring, updating and calibrating his battery, I can say this;
    Expectations need to be managed with wifi usage. I think wifi is simply too power-inefficient to be depended on as an "all day" solution for streaming, gaming or browsing.
    I had a BlackBrry 8320 with wifi. It even did VOIP most of the time. It would last all day. I couldn't browse the web, stream music or play a game on it.
    Is something still amiss with how either the jailbreak or ultrasn0w is treating our devices? Probably. But I also think there are a few expectations to reconsider.

Wifi on, push notifications on, ultrasn0w (latest) installed:

Today:

1 hour, 46 minutes of usage
    -An hour of phone calls
    -20 minutes of Scrabble
    -20 minutes of email/texting

8 hours, 2 minutes of standby

83%.

Thoughts?

ok... after 1 day testing..

1pm battery: 90%
    4:30pm battery: 89%
    After ultrasn0w update yesterday.. yay!!

when I opened an App (Text message!!)
    3% drop down immeidiately in 15min... uh.. that's not good.

I guess this update only solved half of the issue huh.. but still good to have a better standby time, thanks Dev Team and waiting for your update on additional improvement!!

first of all, do not start measuring your battery drain after doing a respring. the charge % may not change until there's a big drop, so you may see for example, 75% for like 20 minutes after respringing, then all of a sudden it drops to 70%. you won't see it go 75%, 74%, 73%, etc. thus you should only start measuring after you see the first percentage drop if you just resprang.

secondly, i've put a 3G (3.1.2) and 3GS (4.0.1) side by side, powered them on, turned airplane mode ON (both wifi and cell radios are off), and left them with their home screen showing for 90 minutes with no other activity. both lost around 9-10% of battery, or approximatel 6% per hour with just the screen on sitting on my table. both phones are jailbroken, with sbsettings, latest mobilesubstrate, and ultrasn0w 1.0-1 installed.

the iphone4 obviously has more battery capacity, so you might only see 3-4% battery usage per hour in the same scenario. so if you use that as a baseline, and factor in cell and wifi usage, you should be able to tell if your phone's battery is draining excessively.

Quote Originally Posted by mfcd00 View Post
    ...i've put a 3G (3.1.2) and 3GS (4.0.1) side by side, powered them on, turned airplane mode ON (both wifi and cell radios are off), and left them with their home screen showing for 90 minutes with no other activity. both lost around 9-10% of battery, or approximatel 6% per hour with just the screen on sitting on my table. both phones are jailbroken, with sbsettings, latest mobilesubstrate, and ultrasn0w 1.0-1 installed.
    This kind of "baseline" was really helpful. It means that 8+ hours of standby and 1.5+ hours of wifi/calls/emails could equal 20% of my battery.

Two questions:

-Has anyone looked more into that correlation of wifi to push email? I couldn't make it make sense.

-Is there a guide to "downgrading" MS? I tried to remove and reinstall from a repo but it crashed my ultrasn0w.

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    This kind of "baseline" was really helpful. It means that 8+ hours of standby and 1.5+ hours of wifi/calls/emails could equal 20% of my battery.
    for a 3GS, if you take 6% baseline loss per hour while the screen is on, plus 1% loss for every 2 hours on standby, plus 20% loss for every hour of 3G talk time, plus 5% loss for every hour on wifi, and also factor in app cpu usage, then 20% battery drain sounds reasonable for 1.5+ hours of wifi/calls/emails.

i think many people here may be having unrealistic expectations re battery life.

i'm not saying some people here aren't having genuine battery drain issues. if you battery goes from 99% to 20% in 1 hour with minimal usage, then you have a problem. but if you're taking calls throughout the day, using push gmail with ms exchange (this one's a killer), reading email, browsing, etc, then losing 10-20% per hour isn't unusual.

for a 3GS, if you take 6% baseline loss per hour while the screen is on, plus 1% loss for every 2 hours on standby, plus 20% loss for every hour of 3G talk time, plus 5% loss for every hour on wifi, and also factor in app cpu usage, then 20% battery drain sounds reasonable for 1.5+ hours of wifi/calls/emails.
    i think many people here may be having unrealistic expectations re battery life.
    i'm not saying some people here aren't having genuine battery drain issues. if you battery goes from 99% to 20% in 1 hour with minimal usage, then you have a problem. but if you're taking calls throughout the day, using push gmail with ms exchange (this one's a killer), reading email, browsing, etc, then losing 10-20% per hour isn't unusual.
    Wow. That's like an unfortunate but totally reasonable answer. It's an inconvenient truth.

Out of curiosity, push Gmail (via an Exchange set-up) vs. polling Gmail (15 minutes?) - What kind of difference would that make in your opinion?

technically and theoretically push email should be more power efficient.

Out of curiosity, push Gmail (via an Exchange set-up) vs. polling Gmail (15 minutes?) - What kind of difference would that make in your opinion?
    personally, my recommendation is not to use either. buy a push notification app for gmail. because really, what is the main reason for using push gmail with exchange? it's so you can be notified the instant you get an email. that's what push notifications are for and it uses FAR LESS battery. once you get notified, you can then open your mail app to retrieve your new mail (or browser or whatever app you use to read email). i assume you have a cell data plan to use push notifications.

Woah, huge improvement!

First night on standby, it went from 100% -> 85% (9 hours)
    I switched off Push for Mail.app, and removed Signal.app

And last night, I left it on standby for 10 hours:

Is push for Mail the culprit, or signal,app?

personally, my recommendation is not to use either. buy a push notification app for gmail. because really, what is the main reason for using push gmail with exchange? it's so you can be notified the instant you get an email. that's what push notifications are for and it uses FAR LESS battery. once you get notified, you can then open your mail app to retrieve your new mail (or browser or whatever app you use to read email). i assume you have a cell data plan to use push notifications.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y
    Why does push through Exchange use so much battery? One (like the above) would think that it would use less.

And what do you reccommend for a specific set-up? "Regular" Gmail set-up, manual polling and a push notifier? Which one?
    Last edited by kidblue; 2010-08-13 at 03:14 AM.

Why does push through Exchange use so much battery? One (like the above) would think that it would use less.

And what do you reccommend for a specific set-up? "Regular" Gmail set-up, manual polling and a push notifier? Which one?
    i don't know exactly why, but my guess would be because exchange (activesync) is pushing the entire messages (few kilobytes to ??? depending on size of email), whereas apple's push notificaton service is just sending a notification (a few bytes maybe).

there are a few gmail push notification apps on the itunes store. i just use Push for Gmail. i don't know if it's the best, but it works fine for me. i don't really use the apple mail app. i just use the mobile gmail site through the app above most of the time.

if you don't want to give out your gmail credentials to the app's server, you can use an app like PushMail instead. you just forward all your gmail to a pushmail address which triggers the push notification.

with both apps, you can set things up like quiet hours (so you don't get notified when you're sleeping), custom ringtone, what to show in the push notification message, etc.

iPhone 4 ios 4.0.1 AT&T Locked
    JB & unlock with ultrasnow 1.1.1, MS 3226, sbsettings & quickreply
    wifi, bluetooth, 3g, cellular data, notification, location, ssh, push - all turned off, brightness 50% auto

I'm now happy to say that my battery problem has been eliminated.

from 100% battery charge
    usage time 1hr 11min
    standby time 18hr 22min
    battery now is at 88%
    with 15min gaming, a few mins of calls & some light texting(sms)

before the update of ultrasnow I was getting 10% drain per hour almost same with the other users here.

thanks Planetbeing for the fix!!!
    Last edited by crazyGD; 2010-08-13 at 05:16 AM.

i don't know exactly why, but my guess would be because exchange (activesync) is pushing the entire messages (few kilobytes to ??? depending on size of email), whereas apple's push notificaton service is just sending a notification (a few bytes maybe).
    there are a few gmail push notification apps on the itunes store. i just use Push for Gmail. i don't know if it's the best, but it works fine for me. i don't really use the apple mail app. i just use the mobile gmail site through the app above most of the time.
    if you don't want to give out your gmail credentials to the app's server, you can use an app like PushMail instead. you just forward all your gmail to a pushmail address which triggers the push notification.
    with both apps, you can set things up like quiet hours (so you don't get notified when you're sleeping), custom ringtone, what to show in the push notification message, etc.
    So the jam I'm rocking now is back to a non-Exchange set-up - Normal iPhone "Gmail" account - Syncing calendars and contacts via iTunes - Polling every 15 minutes. I looked at a couple of the push notification apps and found that I either questioned their security or efficiency.

The big question is - Will polling every 15 minutes via a "normal" Gmail set-up be less battery taxing than the Exchange-style with push enabled?

As per TekWiz' post, I'm using Mobilesubstrate version 3228 and am experiencing the same reasonable standby time as I was with 3226. I'm going to give it another day before I jump to conclusions, but I am thinking SBsettings was draining my battery if MS 3228 wasn't. I never had Signal installed, nor am I unlocked with Ultrasnow. Time to start whittling down these possibilities to just 1, the culprit for all the drain us non-unlocked JBers are experiencing.

MS 3228

97%
    Usage 24m
    Standby 6h 33m

Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y View Post
    Provided that you receive emails less often using push than what your fetch interval was when using fetch... If you get an email every couple of minutes using push, so lets say for arguments sake your transferring data 15 times every half hour, but with fetch you were only checking for emails once every half an hour, then I thought that push would have used more battery..

Default Current Status
    So here's another update as to my current state of things:
    ----------------------

My last usage stats:
    USAGE 7H 5Min
    STNDBY 1Day 14 Hours
    Battery % Left = 5%

Jailbroken iPhone on 4.0.1
    MS 3228
    No UNLOCK
    Singal Uninstalled
    5 Icon Dock
    AppSync
    afc2add

Usage mainly consisted of web surfing, couple hours of Doodle God (why I'm playing this, I don't know, but I can't stop), 15 Mins of GPS, 1 MobileMe account pushing, 3 Gmail (non-MSexchange setup)fetching manually, mBox (Hotmail client) receiving push notifications as they come, location services ON, wifi always on, 3G always on, Bluetooth always off. I was noticing other people getting 8-10 hours of use time but they all claimed some Music time. I was at about 27% with non-music use and about 4 hours 15 minutes of use. Just to see how much impact music had, I turned on the ipod on loop with the screen off via the iphone speakers at medium volume for a good 2 hours. I think I ended up at around 23-25%. So the music player does very little on battery and can majorly skew usage times. The rest of the time was me trying to get the batter to around 10%, so I played more doodle god, used the GPS to get home, and read a book in iBooks using Large fonts so that I would have to flip often. That got me to 5% with over 7 hours of use.

I think, atleast for me, I'm where I should be. If I had included the Music time, i would have gotten about 5 to 5.5 hours of "average" use which is probably about right considering some of the functions I used. I think this is about where I was prior to jailbreak, but frankly, I didn't pay attention to the battery much, because it seemed so great on standby...and then the Jailbreak + Signal app happened.

I've reinstalled sbsettings about 3 hours ago, and that has NOT impacted my standby battery drain AT ALL. I'll reinstall the newer version of Signal sometime tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

I have a 3GS iphone 3.1.2FW and having battery drain problems like u guys.I never had Sbsettings nor i am unlocked with ultrasnow cause dont need it.I thought my problem was Mobilesubstrate version 3228 so i uninstalled it including all its modifications(px activator,categories ...)and didnt installed any previous versions yet.
    For a while thought my problem was gone .But later night when i charged iphone back to 100% and left it overnight it lost 40% over 6hours standby!!!

I think our problem its a virus called ikee which is constantly running a background process that attempts to spread itself to other vulnerable iPhones. Also, if you tried to change your root password and it didn't work, you most likely have this worm--it changes the default ssh password once it infects your iPhone.
    If u have installed memtool or istat and see a process called "poc-bbot" running in background then u are positive to this virus.This worm installs these files :
    /bin/poc-bbot
    /bin/sshpass

/var/log/youcanbeclosertogod.jpg
    /var/mobile/LockBackground.jpg
    /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.ikey.bbot.plist
    /var/lock/bbot.lock

In my case i had only the files with bold letters.U have to delete these files in order to get rid of virus!!!

Instructions how to do it and prevent it is here :
    iPhone ikee worm "Fix"
    Remove the Ikee virus from your iPhone | TheBackpackr.com

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Samuro31 For This Useful Post:

Bouzo (2011-08-29)

Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast