Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

My iPhone 4 battery life is significantly worse than on my 3GS. My wife's iPhone 4 and a co-worker's iPhone 4 last much much longer, even with use. My next step is going to be restoring to stock 4.0.1 if I can't find the source of the drain.

I think it was just as bad before Jailbreaking, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to determine if I have a defective unit, or if the drain is attributable to an app I'm using.

I've removed just about everything I can. My WiFi definitely gets shut off after a short while.

Compared to my wife, co-worker, the big differences that I have several mail accounts (polled):
    - Beejive IM (7 day timeout)
    - 5 accounts for mail/calendars
    - MobileMe (Push)
    - Gmail (2x) (pull 15m)
    - IMAP (pull 15m)
    - Exchange Gmail Calendar Sync (pull 15m)

In Top, SB sits around 1.5%-6.5% CPU while the device is connected to WiFi. OpenSSH was removed until just before this post, and battery life has not changed after removing:
    - SBSettings
    - Rock
    - My3G

Edit:
    Just removed signal:

ii com.complicate 1.2-1 Created by an iPhone Dev Team hacker!
    ii libhide 2.0.7 Library to hide icons. If you are a develope
    ii mobilesubstrat 0.9.3228-1 powerful code insertion platform
    ii preferenceload 2.0.2-1 load preferences in style

Will post updates if this reduces the burn rate. I've got a spreadsheet with a graph.

Edit:

So far it already looks better. configd tends to be higher in Top than anything else (other than top or sshd), with MobileMail spiking occasionally and SB sitting at 0.1% (top -ocpu -s 30)

Edit:
    Went from 4.5%/hour to no change in 20 minutes. Will keep charting and watching!

Last edited by krayon; 2010-08-11 at 08:09 PM.

ok so both me and a friend removed ultrasn0w and our batteries have stopped draining.

Stats: 7 hours standby
    Usage: 5 minutes
    Battery: 96%

Does removing ultrasn0w remove mobilesubstrate?

It's sounding like between Planet Being acknowledging an issue and the obvious experiencing, someone is going to have to prove that it isn't ultrasn0w before anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by soaddictive View Post
    ok so both me and a friend removed ultrasn0w and our batteries have stopped draining.

Stats: 7 hours standby
    Usage: 5 minutes
    Battery: 96%
    mine only drops 2-3% after 8 hours of standby with ultrasn0w and ms 3228. how do you explain that?

also, people need to stop measuring their battery draining from 100%. start measuring at 99% or lower. the drop from 100% to 99% is not accurate.

Thanks

A lot of people seem to be blaming Ultrasn0w but I have seen dozens of post on the web people having the same issues without having ultrasn0w installed as they are factory unlocked!! but still have the issue!!
    R.

I think the question might be less ultrasn0w and more mobilesubstrate, especially since it was a quickly released update past .26. But ultrasn0w needs mobilesubstrate, as do a ton of other programs, so there ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by g0sbv View Post
    A lot of people seem to be blaming Ultrasn0w but I have seen dozens of post on the web people having the same issues without having ultrasn0w installed as they are factory unlocked!! but still have the issue!!
    R.
    Mine is locked but to the company I want to use. I never installed ultrasn0w, but still had the issue. I removed Signal, turned off enablettydebug, uninstalled backgrounder and downgraded Mobile Substrate to 3226.

That certainly helped. I couldn't get a full day on a full charge before, but now:

iPhone 4, iOS 4.01
    Mobile Substrate 3226
    No Backgrounder
    WiFi off
    Bluetooth off
    No mail
    No MyWi
    No Signal App/enablettydebug OFF

Day 1:
    05:45 100%
    07:00 97% (standby)
    08:12 94% (2 mins Facebook, 50 mins of music)
    09:44 91% (standby)
    10:10 91% (standby) Facebook msg arrived
    10:28 91% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    10:57 91% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    11:39 91% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    12:03 90% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    12:57 87% (surfed the web for 5 minutes, checked Facebook twice, read in my RSS reader and checked my position via Google maps)
    13:43 87% (standby)
    14:28 86% (standby)
    15:17 86% (standby) snapped a picture, uploaded to dropbox
    20:38 80% (checked mail, facebook and downloaded a few small apps)
    21:09 79% (standby)

Day 2:
    00:13 61% (standby, gaming, 3d gaming, downloading in background wifi turned on)
    06:39 54% (standby, used as alarm clock, snoozed twice)
    08:11 45% (surfed the web for 10 minss, downloaded about 25MB apps, listened to music for about 20 minutes)
    11:28 44% (standby)
    13:08 41% (standby, downloaded 10MB apps)
    14:19 41% (standby)
    20:06 34% (standby, 20 mins of music)

Status so far:

Usage: 5 hours, 12 minutes (the 1 hour, 25 minutes being music)
    Standby: 1 day, 14 hours

Much, much better.

Yes, I do not have ultrasn0w installed.

I also have signal, but as long as I don't leave it running, I don't get a drain from it from simply being installed.

I think there a a multitude of factors contributing to the drain, some making it worse,others better; for instance, the more apps that use MS seems to be a key factor. For instance, if you have .3228 installed and multiple MS apps, then you will get more drain; if you have only 1 MS app, then less drain.

So I don't think the issue is with the MS apps themselves for the most part - only how many and how they interact with MS that causes the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by g0sbv View Post
    R.
    if you're going to say something like that post a link.

The below is the best explanation I've seen yet.

Here's the thing - MS was updated right after the latest ultrasn0w - To combat issue with Skype and similar. I imagine that it was a tweak that needed to happen in conjunction with ultrasn0w being functional and useful, especially with a ton of pressure. It would make sense that a rejiggering of MS with a slow and steady hand would affect all the apps or processes that depend on it. Let's not forget that these processes are constantly running, in-or-out of an app that the user may be interacting with.

Quote Originally Posted by nightfly View Post
    Yes, I do not have ultrasn0w installed.
    I also have signal, but as long as I don't leave it running, I don't get a drain from it from simply being installed.
    I think there a a multitude of factors contributing to the drain, some making it worse,others better; for instance, the more apps that use MS seems to be a key factor. For instance, if you have .3228 installed and multiple MS apps, then you will get more drain; if you have only 1 MS app, then less drain.
    So I don't think the issue is with the MS apps themselves for the most part - only how many and how they interact with MS that causes the drain.

Could somebody link me to MS 3226? Also what directory does it go in?
    Was this the version that crashed google maps? If so I won't bother downgrading.

Also: iphone_dev iphone_dev

ultrasn0w upgraded to version 1.1-1 we've tweaked a few things that may help with standby battery life, you can upgrade via Cydia.

Looks good, but I don't use ultrasn0w and I still get bad battery drain.
    Last edited by nednarm; 2010-08-11 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Will this new ultrasn0w also rejigger/upgrade ms?

Quote Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
    Will this new ultrasn0w also rejigger/upgrade ms?
    I doubt it, MS would require a separate update

Quote Originally Posted by nednarm View Post
    I doubt it, MS would require a separate update
    But it obviously will utilize it differently because ultrasn0w depends on MS, right? Does one sort of insinuate the other is around the corner?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skarface420 View Post
    if you're going to say something like that post a link.
    Ohh what have we got here some ..attitude great I'm guessing you must be a teenager lol !!If you can try reading this thread from the beginning and Im sorry that I didnt know last week that you were going to post such a lovely comment otherwise if I had time I would of bookmarked all the posts that I came across and pm'ed them to you when I'm not busy with my grandchildren!!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM
    iPhoneaholic

My battery life has gone down considerably as well, and I'm just jailbroken, I don't use ultrasnow.

I can barely last a day with the same average usage as before the jb, however when I wasn't jailbroken I could easily get 2 days of battery life.

I've uninstalled openssh, libhide, preferenceloader, sbsettings, and activator to see if I get any improvement.

All I have JBd for, and is currently installed is:
    MyWi
    My3g (only selected apps enabled)
    iNes
    iSnes
    TvOut2

What's Jailbreak?

There seem to be a few battery issues, and they're not all necessarily just the fault of the jailbreak or ultrasn0w. I don't use ultrasn0w at all, and I've been un-intalling and re-installing things on my ip4 for the last few days trying to nail down the battery problems and it's.. not consistent. I can un-install something which made my battery worse and it doesn't fix it. Then I un-install something else that I installed a day ago and it fixes it. Then I re-install that same thing and the problem doesn't come back. From what I read some of your problems with ultrasn0w are a little more cut and dry, but to me there are clearly other things going on as well.

A perfect iphone in good working order should get around 5-10 days/hours of standby/use. 1-2 hours of use is interchangeable with 1-2 days of standby. So when you see people say they get 4 days of use out of their phone, that is very possible if they only use it for about an hour a day. I've done so myself. Having a separate ipod or other media consumption device helps a lot. This translates into about 2-4 hours of standby per 1% battery. This is normal.

I've also run into issues where the battery runs down faster than normal, but the phone still goes into standby. It seems that's what a lot of people are having happen here with ultrasn0w. I don't use ultrasn0w, but just last night a few hours before I went to sleep I re-installed Signal (also by planetbeing), and my battery use went back into this "degraded" mode, where I went through 16% battery in 7 hours of standby, For me, this translates into about 20-30 minutes of standby per 1% battery. This is not normal.

I've also run into a problem where the phone doesn't actually go into standby. The screen turns off, it makes the click, but it never powers down or gives up it's wifi. This is in effect, similar to just playing music in the background in ipod. I noticed this because of two things. First, when I'd pick up my phone after an hour of standby, the WiFi would be already on as soon as I turned it on, instead of coming up after 2-4 seconds. Second, in settings, my "use" and "standby" times were the same. Since the "standby" time is really the "total use" time, not just the time spent in standby, this means the phone was never actually going into standby. For me, this went through about 60% battery in 12 hours of standby, or about 10 minutes per 1% battery. This puts it on par with apple's claimed battery life for playing music. This is bad.

For those denying the problem, or saying that a day of battery life is good, remember that this phone should last over a week in standby, and these battery drain bugs represent up to a 10x increase in battery use while in standby. This is clearly not how it is supposed to be.

iPhone? More like MyPhone

I have wifi, 3G, winterboard, sbsettings, brightness at like 60%, one push app, no ultraslow and my stats are as follows:

Usuage: 2hrs 55 mins
    Standby: 7hrs 25 mins
    Currently at 58% battery

Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iP4 on 4.0.1(JB)
    Operating System: Win7 64-bit
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therockk View Post
    So did you downgrade your Mobilsubstrate manually? And did it fix the battery draining issue? Also are you using ultrasn0w? Let me know so i can go ahead and downgrade it with those instructions that were provided like you.
    I dont know if this was aimed at me?? I downloaded version 3226 from saurik's site Index of /cydia/debs/ then used ifunbox to upload the file to my iP4 and then used iFile to install it, rebooted and away I went.

I do not use ultrasn0w.

I've gone down from around 10-12% per hour on WiFi to around 3% per hour on 3G on standby. I know this is still bad compared to an un-JB phone, but it will have to do.

Green Apple

Device + Firmware: iP4 on 4.0.1(JB)
    Operating System: Win7 64-bit
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iphone4523 View Post
    So is everyone saying that even if you don't unlock your phone (and just jailbrake it) that you'll still run into these issues?
    thats my experience - but as piston has mentioned he is ok with it

What's Jailbreak?

I'm also noticing a good amour of battery drop. Before jailbreak I didn't have to resort to charging it hardly at all on normal usage (Internet, Facebook, I even have a few FaceTime calls) and now I have to do a charge because about halfway thru the day I'll be close if not below 20%.

Makes me wonder..

I am not using ultrasn0w. I'll investigate more but I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one.

and so on....... thats just in this thread on this forum up to page 5 I think got bored so never went any furthur..

I have a iphone 4 and have just today restored it with a clean slate as a new phone then jailbroke it added nothing (NOTHING) else at all and the battery life has gone bad again...oh and its factory unlocked!!!!!!so I do not use ultrasn0w
    Last edited by g0sbv; 2010-08-11 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nednarm View Post
    Could somebody link me to MS 3226? Also what directory does it go in?
    Was this the version that crashed google maps? If so I won't bother downgrading.

Also: iphone_dev iphone_dev

ultrasn0w upgraded to version 1.1-1 we've tweaked a few things that may help with standby battery life, you can upgrade via Cydia.

Looks good, but I don't use ultrasn0w and I still get bad battery drain.
    a p t . s a u r i k . c o m / c y d i a / d e b s /

copy the .deb to

/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall on the phone/device and REBOOT.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jacobtf For This Useful Post:

nednarm (2010-08-11)

Right - fresh iOS4 restore on ip4

Clean jailbreak and only cydia installed along with top and openSSH... Bash results...

No memory is leaking
    Wireless turns off shortly after standby
    CPU behavior is good, only springboard using random flashes of 1%ish

Now going to test updating additional software like signal & sbsettings

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -screen-shot-2010-08-11-19.48.14.png  

Quote Originally Posted by jacobtf View Post
    a p t . s a u r i k . c o m / c y d i a / d e b s /

copy the .deb to

/var/root/Media/Cydia/AutoInstall on the phone/device and REBOOT.
    cheers bud, just installed it. I'll report back if it makes any difference to battery life.

Just found an issue

I've ran bash for the last 15 minutes with the iphone in STANDBY mode

WiFi is not shutting down in standby - this will explain increased battery usage and utilization in standby

Can someone else replicate please to confirm

already upgraded to ultrasn0w 1.1.1 fingers crossed lets hope is does any good to my battery
    Last edited by CometMan; 2010-08-11 at 09:29 PM.

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast