Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

Well I'm still pretty satisfied with my setup. Here's an update:

iPhone 4, iOS 4.01
    Mobile Substrate 3226
    No Backgrounder
    WiFi off
    Bluetooth off
    No mail
    No MyWi
    No Signal App/enablettydebug OFF

Day 1:
    05:45 100%
    07:00 97% (standby)
    08:12 94% (2 mins Facebook, 50 mins of music)
    09:44 91% (standby)
    10:10 91% (standby) Facebook msg arrived
    10:28 91% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    10:57 91% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    11:39 91% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    12:03 90% (standby) LockInfo shows facebook msg
    12:57 87% (surfed the web for 5 minutes, checked Facebook twice, read in my RSS reader and checked my position via Google maps)
    13:43 87% (standby)
    14:28 86% (standby)
    15:17 86% (standby) snapped a picture, uploaded to dropbox
    20:38 80% (checked mail, facebook and downloaded a few small apps)
    21:09 79% (standby)

Day 2:
    00:13 61% (standby, gaming, 3d gaming, downloading in background wifi turned on)
    06:39 54% (standby, used as alarm clock, snoozed twice)
    08:11 45% (surfed the web for 10 minss, downloaded about 25MB apps, listened to music for about 20 minutes)

Status so far:

Usage: 4 hours, 14 minutes (the 65 minutes being music)
    Standby: 1 day, 2 hours

My original charge finally died today (earlier today) it's final value
    Usage - 8 hours 46mins
    Standby - 2days

I checked this at like 2% before dying so I guess this is roughly a good estimate, battery life is great, once again I think it is ultrasnow, and planetbeing said something about working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted View Post
    Fixed my battery drain by downloading a new copy of the 4.0.1 ipsw, the restores as a new phone from the one I had stored on my pc weren't making any difference. It's coming up to the 24 hour mark and I've 46% battery life left. The phones been left on throughout the night with plenty of cydia apps installed and had a reasonable amount of use throughout today with texting, browsing and downloading from cydia.
    Hey when you say a new copy of 4.0.1 what exactly did you do, did you restore it and let itunes download 4.0.1 then install it?

Quote Originally Posted by bhavint21 View Post
    Hey when you say a new copy of 4.0.1 what exactly did you do, did you restore it and let itunes download 4.0.1 then install it?
    I went into my pc, deleted the ipsw stored in the iPhone software updates folder, put the phone into DFU. iTunes then downloaded a new copy of the firmware before restoring. I set up as a new iPhone after that.
    I have Kleptomania, when it gets bad I take something for it...

I went into my pc, deleted the ipsw stored in the iPhone software updates folder, put the phone into DFU. iTunes then downloaded a new copy of the firmware before restoring. I set up as a new iPhone after that.
    oh ok i see and you said this worked for you? i'm thinking of trying it, but if you set up as a new phone, will you lose your contacts? (sorry ima noob at jailbreaking related just got a iphone 4 while ago (first iphone ever)

Last update from me.
    Currently 2% of battery
    standby time 2days, usage 5 hours, don't know for sure because I rebooted.
    I'm pretty much happy now, i went to sleep with 8% with wifi and location on, wake up still 8%.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavint21 View Post
    oh ok i see and you said this worked for you? i'm thinking of trying it, but if you set up as a new phone, will you lose your contacts? (sorry ima noob at jailbreaking related just got a iphone 4 while ago (first iphone ever)
    You can copy the address book folder if you ssh into private/var/mobile/library and then paste it back after you restored and re jailbroken. You'll have a fresh install then but have your contacts still. This improved my battery, yes.
    I have Kleptomania, when it gets bad I take something for it...

Yes , when you do a restore of the firmware , you loose the data
    saved on the iphone .

You can copy the address book folder if you ssh into private/var/mobile/library and then paste it back after you restored and re jailbroken. You'll have a fresh install then but have your contacts still. This improved my battery, yes.
    i guess i will restore from new iphone as well to see if it makes any difference
    Last edited by CometMan; 2010-08-11 at 04:21 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CometMan View Post
    how about the sms history can we ssh and take the sms info, as the contacts?
    yes you can do that. look at the 2nd or 3rd thread in this area and it will show you exactly what to do to keep everything.

EDIT: since im nice here is the thread

A buddy of mines has the same issue that others in the thread are experiencing. The one thing that is odd however, is that he and I both have identical phones with the same software yet his drains and mines doesn't.

We both have IP4's with the following programs:

Cydia
    Winterboard (+ revolving wallpaper script)
    Mobilesubstrate
    Lockinfo (+ Addons)
    Iconoclasm
    Infinifolders
    Infinidocks
    Makeitmine
    Mobile Theater
    OpenSSH
    Frash
    SBSettings (With theme + addons)
    QuickReply SMS
    Rock
    Activator
    AptBackup
    Backgrounder
    3G Unrestrictor

My buddy's battery drains at a rate of about 5% per hour on standby. My battery drains at a rate of 1% per 2.5 hours on standby. This includes everything turned on except for bluetooth and SSH.

He's been going nuts over it trying to figure out what is different between my phone and his.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamybrian View Post
    A buddy of mines has the same issue that others in the thread are experiencing. The one thing that is odd however, is that he and I both have identical phones with the same software yet his drains and mines doesn't.

We both have IP4's with the following programs:

Cydia
    Winterboard (+ revolving wallpaper script)
    Mobilesubstrate
    Lockinfo (+ Addons)
    Iconoclasm
    Infinifolders
    Infinidocks
    Makeitmine
    Mobile Theater
    OpenSSH
    Frash
    SBSettings (With theme + addons)
    QuickReply SMS
    Rock
    Activator
    AptBackup
    Backgrounder
    3G Unrestrictor

My buddy's battery drains at a rate of about 5% per hour on standby. My battery drains at a rate of 1% per 2.5 hours on standby. This includes everything turned on except for bluetooth and SSH.

He's been going nuts over it trying to figure out what is different between my phone and his.
    The only difference I can see is, location. Are you guys moving around a lot where your phone has to keep looking for signal? With all the cell tower switching im sure that will put a toll on your battery versus standby when you are sleeping or staying still since it is connected to the same tower all night. Just an observation seeing if the people who are having battery issues with standby are in areas with bad reception or not.

I was also experiencing this same battery drain issue. At first I thought MyWi was responsible (which it also could be...)

If you're not using MyWi you should disable the Mobile Substrate Addons so that it does not drain your battery...

Also with regards to UltraSn0w, I believe that it was also causing battery drain issues...You may have to forcibly remove ultrasn0w by SSHing into your iphone (as root) and doing "dpkg --purge ultrasn0w" I don't recommend doing this unless you know what you're doing..
    Thanks to the ops in #iphone @EFNet

12:03:29 @<Xuzz> SAVE YOUR SHSH NOW
    12:03:53 @<Xuzz> scarface: There is scientific testing going on later today on ultrasn0w's battery impacts, results will be posted to the dev-team blog when complete.

also: must haves to prevent battery drainage - Remove Recents and Backgrounder (setting specific overrides is smart!)
    Last edited by skarface420; 2010-08-11 at 06:19 PM.

based on my tests, excessive battery drain (at least no worse than 3.1.x) is not caused by:
    mobilesubstrate
    ultransn0w
    push notifications

it only happens with wifi and wifi only. when connected to a wifi access point, the battery appears to drain 3-4x faster than 3.1.x.

if your iphone is draining battery while in standby mode, there is an app or background process that is either using cpu or keeping the wifi connection alive. ssh into your iphone and run the "top -ocpu" command to see if anything is using the cpu (may need to install "top" from cydia).

if your iphone stays connected to wifi even after a couple minutes in standby, you'll need to figure out why because it shouldn't be.

I definitely noticed an improvement after restoring, but I still have to use ultrasn0w, which requires mobilesubstrate, correct?

The fact that folks find any difference between lack (or downgrade) mobilesubstrate/ultrasn0w is more telling, as it is a consistent process, versus the Jailbreak in general. As for wifi being the only affect, I saw a 7% drop in about 30 minutes of iPod music playback yesterday, out of the house, with wifi off, within hours of a full iTunes restore.

In terms of standy for me its been signal and enablettydebug. With it off my standby battery seems to not deplete much but with it on it would drain 1% every 45 mins or so

I removed Signal and disabled enablettydebug and now my iPhone stopped draining. An hour ago it showed 74%, now it still does.

I installed some apps via rock/cydia and noticed that my drain was bad again. Then I checked and noticed that MS .3228 got installed again. Reverted back to .3226 and now have acceptable drain - not great but acceptable. Course I do now still have the maps issue.

With .3228, drain is crazy bad..sometimes 3-5% in just 1/2 hour or less...

So as you install apps, make sure to revert back to MS .3226 as necessary.

what is MS .3228???

Question -

Ultrasn0w requires Mobilesubstrate, correct? In other words, if Planet Being and The Devs are diving into the JB and Ultrasn0w, they'll be able to determine whether it is Mobilesubstrate or not, right?

I have yet to figure out a way to "downgrade" Mobilesubstrate - Ultrasn0w seems to have automatically installed .28 - Last time I tried to overwrite with .26, I got into a loop and had my unlock broken, had to restore.

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast