Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Battery DRAIN!! After Jailbreak.

I think I might have narrowed my WiFi battery drain.

I think its directly related to my Gmail account, which I have setup as push(MS Exchange). When I first joined the network I would receive the first push and then no more.

I think for some reason something would happen after the first push request which makes the iPhone keep on Rx/Tx data. Once I switch WiFi off and switch to cellular, the emails would arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by PSI70Y View Post
    I think I might have narrowed my WiFi battery drain.

I think its directly related to my Gmail account, which I have setup as push(MS Exchange). When I first joined the network I would receive the first push and then no more.

I think for some reason something would happen after the first push request which makes the iPhone keep on Rx/Tx data. Once I switch WiFi off and switch to cellular, the emails would arrive.
    I don't have gmail and have the 5% battery drain every hour while on standby.

Hi,
    I'm also new to this forum but i followed the topic from the beginning.
    this morning my battery went down from 100 to 99% within 2 minutes of browsing in this forum!!
    now i only deleted 'signal' and it's much better. i didn't downgrade MobileSubstrate.
    i charged the phone again to 100%
    -now i have 92% (usage 56min, standby 3h 13min)
    for me i can say it's almost back to normal...

ah, forgot: push mail (googlemail) is on and my wifi turns off itself when i lock it
    Last edited by appsinth; 2010-08-09 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by allanes5 View Post
    I don't have gmail and have the 5% battery drain every hour while on standby.
    is this whilst being on wifi?

I believe I am experiencing two separate issues

1. higher than "jailed" power usage due to JB/MS/extensions/etc

AND

2. Excessive power usage due to being connected to WiFi and Mail.app and MS Exchange mail account (GMail). This problems makes the iPhone constantly work whilst on standby as the usage goes up whilst its meant to be on "standby".

I have no problem with 1, I can live with it. 2 is the one Im struggling with. I', mot sure if its an iP4 thing or the JB, as I have a 3Gs JB with sn0wbreeze and the WiFi is constantly on and the power does not drain as quickly as the iP4. Both with Gmail setup as MS Exchange accounts

Quote Originally Posted by appsinth View Post
    ah, forgot: push mail (googlemail) is on and my wifi turns off itself when i lock it
    This is normal behaviour I think.
    I have just restored to original (jailed) and my power consumption is back to normal
    Have WiFi turned on and when the phone is locked, after a few minutes and turn it back on, wifi comes on after 2 seconds, whereas before with the JB, wifi was constantly on doing something as the usage stats went up at the same rate as standby
    Last edited by PSI70Y; 2010-08-09 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PSI70Y For This Useful Post:

appsinth (2010-08-09)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

im going to test out mine today. i dont have any issues with standby battery drain, its just when the phone is unlocked (not even necessarily using it even). right now im holding at 95%...

PS - im on 4.0 JB with JBme.com. i havent tried restoring, but i JB my phone a little late when the patch for FT and MMS was already fixed.

-UPDATE-

from the last time i posted this, i have dropped from 95% to 94%. i am connected to wifi, have push notifications ON (and have been receiving emails all this morning), 3Gunrestrictor is on for phone/FaceTime only, and i have used it very minimally.

it looks like my issue isnt with standby battery consumption, but usage consumption....

*sitsbackandwaitspatientlysinceitsreallynotthatbig ofdealandimnotthatanalaboutitanyways*
    Last edited by kadinh; 2010-08-09 at 06:26 PM.

I'm now testing mine. Freshly official restored factory unlocked iPhone 4 has just had cydia installed via jailbreakme, just installed sbsettings, will wait and see now

Fixed my battery drain by downloading a new copy of the 4.0.1 ipsw, the restores as a new phone from the one I had stored on my pc weren't making any difference. It's coming up to the 24 hour mark and I've 46% battery life left. The phones been left on throughout the night with plenty of cydia apps installed and had a reasonable amount of use throughout today with texting, browsing and downloading from cydia.
    I have Kleptomania, when it gets bad I take something for it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted View Post
    Fixed my battery drain by downloading a new copy of the 4.0.1 ipsw, the restores as a new phone from the one I had stored on my pc weren't making any difference. It's coming up to the 24 hour mark and I've 46% battery life left. The phones been left on throughout the night with plenty of cydia apps installed and had a reasonable amount of use throughout today with texting, browsing and downloading from cydia.
    did you update from 4.0 to 4.0.1 or were you already on 4.0.1? did you d/l 4.0.1 from itunes?

sounds like you solved your issue

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    did you update from 4.0 to 4.0.1 or were you already on 4.0.1? did you d/l 4.0.1 from itunes?

sounds like you solved your issue
    I updated from 4.0 to 4.0.1 a few weeks ago, I deleted the firmware from the iPhone software updates folder so iTunes was forced to download it again. Seems to have done the trick.
    I have Kleptomania, when it gets bad I take something for it...

Thanks

ill have to try that when i get home. im still on 4.0 and im irritated that a simple JB would drain the battery 1% in 3 minutes.

BUT

thanks to comex for the JB! not complaining about that at all!

Quote Originally Posted by axlahn View Post
    Like everyone else in this thread, I had some major battery drain issues. Prior to Jailbreak, my phone, on standby overnight, would drop it's battery percentage from 0 to 1%. After Jailbreaking, I would lose anywhere between 18-30%...very dramatic.

So I've been on this annoying, test my OCD tendacies, odyssey to figure out what the heck was going on.

Step 1) Restored my phone back to normal to see if it had something to do with the jailbreak. --> Battery performance back to normal.

Step 2) Restored phone. Jailbroke. --> Battery performance perfectly normal. So...it must be some app or software causing the drain.

Step 3) Updated Cydia. Installed afc2add. --> Still fine.

Step 4) Sensing everything was peachy, I installed all my normal apple store apps. --> everythigng still going well.

Step 5) Wanting some of Cydia apps back, I started installing them one at a time...well...just one: Signal by planetbeing of unlock fame. --> BOOM -- Battery drainage back.

Step 6) Uninstalled Signal App --> Battery back to normal!!!

Now most of you here are talking about how the Unlock is causing battery drain. I personally don't need the unlock, as I'm on fracktackulous ATT, but based on what I saw in this forum:

[URL="http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/723020-signal-real-signal-strength-cell-info-more-5.html"]

there is a Mobile Substrate extension called: enablettydebug
    that gets installed with the Signal app (and maybe it gets installed with the UNLOCK). I guess this thing polls the baseband somewhat frequently and will cause your battery to drain. I have yet to reinstall Signal while diasbling this extension, but this may very well be the MS extension that's causing everyone's problem. If you've unlocked your phone and have issues or have battery problems of any kind after using Cydia, check to see if this extension is installed.

If you don't know how...open up Cydia, go the Manage, and check Packages.

Forgot to mention, click on the button that says "SIMPLE" in the top right corner after you get to Packages...this will change things to Expert mode and you'll be able to see EVERYTHING Cydia has installed.

It's possible the unlock may not need this extension, so give it a try.

Hope this helps everyone!!

Good find, I uninstalled and my battery got alot better. was draining 1 percent every 15 mins. After uninstall signal, i lost about 3 percent in 4 hours. Did not turn anything off,On cydia i have adbl0ck, cyntact, gv mobile,infinifolders, sbsettings, openssh, ifile. I turned off 3g unrestrictor.

I'm back with some results.

Firstly, I'm just JB'd, I DON'T use Ultrasn0w, therefore the battery drain isn't just limited to unlockers.

Since my last post, I uninstalled all traces of SBSettings, libhide and activator. I got little to no change in battery consumption, I'm still losing 1% every 10 minutes in standby, and lost 5% just posting this right now.

I'm going to try downgrading Mobilesubstrate to 3226 now in the hopes that this fixes anything. Looking back, my battery life was comparable to stock before MS got updated.

The reason I'm so bothered by the battery life is that I don't want 2 things to worry about, deathgrip and now battery life. I can live with deathgrip, and have been, but I'm not about to live with horrible battery life after getting a taste of what the i4 can really do when it was stock.
    Last edited by x999x; 2010-08-09 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krazi88 View Post
    Good find, I uninstalled and my battery got alot better. was draining 1 percent every 15 mins. After uninstall signal, i lost about 3 percent in 4 hours. Did not turn anything off,On cydia i have adbl0ck, cyntact, gv mobile,infinifolders, sbsettings, openssh, ifile. I turned off 3g unrestrictor.
    im guessing that's 3% loss on sleep/standby with no actual usage?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
    I jailbroke and got MyWi, WiFi Sync, OpenSSH, SBSettings, and Signal. I've been getting this same issue of just unreal, insane, 6%+ battery dropping every hour when not using the phone at all. It predated SBSettings for me, as I in fact got that app to more conveniently manage ssh, wifi, and 3G to try and save some battery as I'd noticed it go downhill after jailbreaking. None of that helped of course, and I was thinking about restoring and going back to jail.

Then I saw the post about Signal and enablettydebug. I went into SBSettings preferences, i.e. activate SBSettings, tap More, select Mobile Substrate Addons, and then look for enablettydebug there. I turned it off and rebooted my phone. Now I am at almost 2h of standby and 10m of usage (WiFi and 3G on) with 100% battery still, which, while too short a time span to confirm it's as good as pre-JB, is dramatically, unmistakably better than what I had before with the enablettydebug addon turned on. I still have Mobile Substrate running, and SBSettings says I have the following addons turned on: Activator, IntelliStatisIconsVi(ewer? can't read last part), MyWi, PreferenceLoader, libhide, and pdfExploitWarner. So I am guessing that Mobile Substrate is quite kosher and there's no need to try and downgrade it or anything like that.
    Update from me: This morning when I woke up I was at 97%, and a few hours later I'm at 95%. My usage is 10h 48m standby and 27 minutes on right now. That's with WiFi and 3G and location services left on (though it's on standby with nothing using either from what I can tell), not to mention push gmail (though I only got about 4-5 messages overnight). ~11 hours for a 5% battery drain seems like about 220 hours of standby time equivalent. I can't totally tell if that's up to Apple's spec given the 27m of 'usage' which was mostly interacting with settings menus, etc. In any case it's close enough for me; I can stop worrying about my phone dying 3/4 through the day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowfax For This Useful Post:

nednarm (2010-08-09)

Little update from me. Earlier on I uninstalled SBsettings activator and signal. I had little battery improvement, so I reinstalled them. Now after 1 hour 30 of heavy usage and 4 hours standby I'm on65% which seems pretty low compared to what I got pre JB.
    I'm not sure what else to try. Maybe if I restore again to 4.0.1 and set up as a new phone it might make a difference. I don't particularly want to do this though.

Quote Originally Posted by disenchanted View Post
    Do you have ultrasn0w?! and do any of the apps you have from cydia use mobilsubstrate???

wow. I just installed signal (planetbeing) and my battery is dropping 1% every few minutes when it's just on the home screen. Man I think I'm just going to restore as new and re JB.

Quote Originally Posted by x999x View Post
    I'm back with some results.

Firstly, I'm just JB'd, I DON'T use Ultrasn0w, therefore the battery drain isn't just limited to unlockers.

Since my last post, I uninstalled all traces of SBSettings, libhide and activator. I got little to no change in battery consumption, I'm still losing 1% every 10 minutes in standby, and lost 5% just posting this right now.

I'm going to try downgrading Mobilesubstrate to 3226 now in the hopes that this fixes anything. Looking back, my battery life was comparable to stock before MS got updated.

The reason I'm so bothered by the battery life is that I don't want 2 things to worry about, deathgrip and now battery life. I can live with deathgrip, and have been, but I'm not about to live with horrible battery life after getting a taste of what the i4 can really do when it was stock.
    wow..thats pretty fast drain....umm.. id suggest you do a factory restore..then re JB

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
    Update from me: This morning when I woke up I was at 97%, and a few hours later I'm at 95%. My usage is 10h 48m standby and 27 minutes on right now. That's with WiFi and 3G and location services left on (though it's on standby with nothing using either from what I can tell), not to mention push gmail (though I only got about 4-5 messages overnight). ~11 hours for a 5% battery drain seems like about 220 hours of standby time equivalent. I can't totally tell if that's up to Apple's spec given the 27m of 'usage' which was mostly interacting with settings menus, etc. In any case it's close enough for me; I can stop worrying about my phone dying 3/4 through the day.
    unlocked??? or just JB with various cydia apps? could you tell us which apps as well.
    Last edited by samin0786; 2010-08-09 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by samin0786 View Post
    wow..thats pretty fast drain....umm.. id suggest you do a factory restore..then re JB

unlocked??? or just JB with various cydia apps? could you tell us which apps as well.
    I'd also like to know exactly what apps you've installed.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samin0786 View Post

I thought about that, but I'd like to expend all my options before I go that route, I'm looking at about 2 hours of down time doing a restore due to the vast amounts of data I need to resync

I've downgraded my mobilestustrate and have seen a little improvement, but I need to give it more time to be sure.

Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast