Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: trouble updating to ios4 from spirit JB 3.1.3

Default trouble updating to ios4 from spirit JB 3.1.3
    i decided yesterday to update my 3gs iphone to ios4 from 3.1.3. first itunes said i had to update itunes to 9.2, which i did. i then done a full back-up of my iphone and clicked on update. after 15min of downloading the update file, i kept on getting an error message "connection time out error". or words to that effect. after say 10-15 attempts i finally gave up for the night.

today, i've managed to download the ios4 update file from another site. i hold down shift and click on restore. i locate the ios4 file and it starts to update. but now, i keep on getting another error message "the iphone could not be restored. an unknown error occurred (3194)".

is there any way i can fix this and update my 3gs from 3.1.3 to 4 and jailbrake it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Try to put your phone in recovery or DFU mode first.. then restore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

oldgit9 (2010-08-04)

put the phone into the recovery mode and DFU mode, but i keep on getting the following error message "itunes was unable to load provider data from sync services".

any ideas???

Thanks

It sounds like iTunes is having problems connecting to the internet. First with the problems downloading the firmware and then contacting the verification servers. If your not having any other internet related problems with your computer then try a complete uninstall and reinstall of iTunes. If you are having other internet problems ex: ie can not display this page, youtube videos freezing, long load/download times, etc... Then trouble shoot your internet connection or do the restore on another computer.

***UPDATE***
    no good news unfortunately

i uninstalled all the following programs iTunes, QuickTime, Apple Software Update, Apple Mobile Device Support, Bonjour and Apple Application Support (iTunes 9 or later) as stated in the apple support site. after each uninstall, i restarted the laptop.

when all were uninstalled, i downloaded the new itunes from the itunes site. after the install, i connected the phone to one of my usb inputs. it then came up with the following error "itunes could not connect to this iphone because an unknown error occurred (0xe8000001)". i then connected the phone to another usb input with no problems.

i click on the "restore" button, and the update file starts to download. again, after 13-15min, the download finishes, i get the following error message "iphone could not be updated. an unknown error occurred (3194)". i then tried to update using the "shift and click" on the restore button. but even that still doesn't work.

what can i do now???

edit:
    im just going to try an do the update on my pc that upstairs. i'll let you all know how it goes....
    Last edited by oldgit9; 2010-08-04 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks

Yeah I'd try it on a different computer.

***ANOTHER UPDATE***
    this time, i have bad, then good news.

went to try and update my phone on my pc. it started off with bad news. no mater what i did, i had exactly the same error messages as i did on my laptop. i then done a fresh back-up of the phone on to the pc. this took an age. it's an old pc that i built. so when the phone was being backed-up, i had time to do some more searching on how to fix my problems.

long story short, i found a rather easy fix for the "update server could not be contacted" error...too easy i thought. but it worked. it was just a simple host file update using notepad. you can read "unvaluablespace's" fix "HERE". basically, you check the contents of the file, update it if needs be and save the file. then restart itunes and jobs a good en.

i can finally and happily say, my 3gs is now on ios 4. and it wasn't long before it was jailbroken...lol

thanks all for the help