Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 proximity sensor PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me ufcsean's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 proximity sensor PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi guys,

Recently had my iphone 4 swapped at the apple store because it had a loose home button and then the one I was given as a replacement I went home to find out the proximity sensor had a major problem.

Most people are getting a problem by the proximity sensor actually switching the screen off but then having trouble of it coming back on, my problem is the complete opposite it just doesn't turn off AT ALL. I've put it right next to my ear and covered it with my finger and the screen just stays on. I'd appreciate anyones opinion on the issue

Well if it doesn't make the screen black when you're on a call... it's broken. Bring it back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GregTheWang View Post
    Well if it doesn't make the screen black when you're on a call... it's broken. Bring it back.
    Man do i hate apple.

That'll be a whole set of SGP EX Films wasted cost me (17) AND two SGP Screen shield wasted cost 12.

+ my "nearest store" is ages away. ARHGGGGGGGGGG :@:@:@:@

Sorry man =/ I've been lucky with my iPhones so far... no hardware issues. Knock on wood.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

This problem should be fixed on the iOS 4 update that is coming out. You'll just have to wait it out. I'm having the same issue though it's not very bad.

easy fix for that go to settings.general.reset.reset all settings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgattis View Post
    This problem should be fixed on the iOS 4 update that is coming out. You'll just have to wait it out. I'm having the same issue though it's not very bad.
    Nah this cannot be a software problem as my previous iPh4 had a perfectly functioning proximity sensor. Take note that other peoples sensors are actually turning off their screen but then having problems whereas me (and you if you have the same problem) Mine just doesn't work altogether it does NOTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
    easy fix for that go to settings.general.reset.reset all settings
    ...Wrong.

That does NOT fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ufcsean View Post
    Nah this cannot be a software problem as my previous iPh4 had a perfectly functioning proximity sensor. Take note that other peoples sensors are actually turning off their screen but then having problems whereas me (and you if you have the same problem) Mine just doesn't work altogether it does NOTHING.

...Wrong.

That does NOT fix it.

i had the same issue and thats how i fixed it. Get a new phone then

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BoostedEvoIX View Post
    i had the same issue and thats how i fixed it. Get a new phone then
    As much as it gets under my skin i'm gonna have to travel there and get another f******!

The stupid thing is...when they open the replacement box and give you the phone I can actually test it there and then and if it's another faulty device I HAVE to keep it and re-book an appointment...I mean who think of **** B.S?

ufcsean,

mine is a bit sensitive if i don't cover it with my ear well. with a SW tweak i'll be okay. yours sounds like complete HW failure. i'd try a restore as new iphone and if that doesn't work bring it back. You can try calling applecare for a mail replacement.

I also exchanged iphone 3gs in the past with screen protectors. when apple carried them the genius did throw in a pack. may not be policy but if you ask very nicely and kiss *** they can throw you one.

Trifster

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trifster View Post
    ufcsean,

mine is a bit sensitive if i don't cover it with my ear well. with a SW tweak i'll be okay. yours sounds like complete HW failure. i'd try a restore as new iphone and if that doesn't work bring it back. You can try calling applecare for a mail replacement.

I also exchanged iphone 3gs in the past with screen protectors. when apple carried them the genius did throw in a pack. may not be policy but if you ask very nicely and kiss *** they can throw you one.

Trifster
    Spoke to the "Genius" today and he did seem like he knew what he was on about really. He said 4 of our members of staff have the exact same problem and it's not a hardware issue because there is no dedicated proximity sensor in the iphone 4. It's attatched to the camera and is one piece, if the camera's working there's nothing wrong with the proximity sensor. Apparently Apple didn't calibrate all iphone 4 proximity sensors in the same way and some not at all so in 4.1 it will calibrate everyones in the same way.

Can't be hardware then can it mate? Might just hold on for the update now. What do you guys think?

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

[QUOTE=ufcsean;5378325]Nah this cannot be a software problem as my previous iPh4 had a perfectly functioning proximity sensor. Take note that other peoples sensors are actually turning off their screen but then having problems whereas me (and you if you have the same problem) Mine just doesn't work altogether it does NOTHING.

I had the same problem and when I went to AT&T store the agent took the rubber cover off of my Iphone 4, which the cover was one I had on my old 3GS, and the phone worked fine!

I went home and had a cheap rubber cover that did not cover very much of the top part of the phone and its been two weeks and has not failed since!

Thanks

GRRRR.

I get even more P***ed off when people got easily soltutions to their's

Mine just doesn't do ANYTHING case or no case I put my thumb/finger/face/ear over the proximity sensor and NOTHING happens absolutely nothing.

Software fault apparently, wish they coulda told me that before I wasted 7 on a train journey there. How does this "Applecare" thing work mate? Do I just phone up and they send the replacement or what?

When I first got my phone it was acting like yours. I had set it up from a restore of my old phone, I did a restore and set it up as a new phone and haven't had a problem sense. I don't know if it will help with yours or not, but it may be worth a try.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mld54 View Post
    When I first got my phone it was acting like yours. I had set it up from a restore of my old phone, I did a restore and set it up as a new phone and haven't had a problem sense. I don't know if it will help with yours or not, but it may be worth a try.
    I've set it up as a "new phone" about 3 or 4 times.

Do you have any idea how the applecare replacements work?

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ufcsean View Post
    I've set it up as a "new phone" about 3 or 4 times.

Do you have any idea how the applecare replacements work?
    What you do is call Apple customer support and talk to an agent!

They will have you do several things to see if they can make it work right!

What I have heard is that the next update to 4.1 will solve this problem! So they are not going to want to replace! Since we do not know when the next update is going to be I would tell them to send me a loaner till the next update because you cannot use the phone like this and you cant unless all you do is text!

If they don't want to do this then ask them what you are supposed to use for a phone till the next update!

Be hard on them and don't give up!

Just my opinion!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to area51crypto For This Useful Post:

ufcsean (2010-08-07)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    What you do is call Apple customer support and talk to an agent!

They will have you do several things to see if they can make it work right!

What I have heard is that the next update to 4.1 will solve this problem! So they are not going to want to replace! Since we do not know when the next update is going to be I would tell them to send me a loaner till the next update because you cannot use the phone like this and you cant unless all you do is text!

If they don't want to do this then ask them what you are supposed to use for a phone till the next update!

Be hard on them and don't give up!

Just my opinion!
    Thanks dude.

Looks like i've got another issue now.

Let the battery run out til the phone knocked itself off, then chardged it up fullyl to 100%.

Battery was on 98% when I went to bed (wifi bluetooth etc. notifications all turned off) then woke up at 10AM and the battery was down to 75%. This is NOT normal because my 3GS used to either stay the same level overnight or go down about 2-3%.

What a joke this has turned out to be.