Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Backgrounder on the iPhone 4 (4.0.1)

Default Backgrounder on the iPhone 4 (4.0.1)
    Anyone using Backgrounder on the iPhone 4? It has been working flawlessly on mine. I had about 22 apps loaded in the background; my memory was still at around 85MB, which is almost twice as much as my 3G with no apps open

I'm still a little confused on how background works on Apps that do not natively support multitasking.

For example, under the default settings, it seems like programs (NBA Live for example) will load in the the background (memory) and stay loaded & idle when you press the home button. But when you hold the button and activate background for that particular program, it will not only stay loaded in the background but continue running as if it were on screen. In the other hand, this same program (NBA Live) would have been completely killed when pushing the home button (not loaded in to the memory and obviously not running in the background) without Backgrounder.

Are my observations correct?

Thanks

I'm just using backgrounder to put the badge on my icons to let me know that it's still running. I tried a few different setups, I thought I would like the "kill" app when I exit out of it but didn't.

Livin the iPhone Life SharpieBandit's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbasist View Post
    For example, under the default settings, it seems like programs (NBA Live for example) will load in the the background (memory) and stay loaded & idle when you press the home button. But when you hold the button and activate background for that particular program, it will not only stay loaded in the background but continue running as if it were on screen. In the other hand, this same program (NBA Live) would have been completely killed when pushing the home button (not loaded in to the memory and obviously not running in the background) without Backgrounder.

Are my observations correct?

That sounds right. In a condensed nutshell: Apple multitasking is semi-multitasking and Backgrounder is REAL multitasking. Apple multitasking sort of saves where you are as opposed to Backgrounder actually staying where you were.
    Steam ID: gentrytj
    Origin ID: gentrytj
    Gamertag: TJ McHoonigan
    PSN ID: TheWyzeMan
    Twitch.TV: TJ_McHoonigan

Quote Originally Posted by SharpieBandit View Post

That sounds right. In a condensed nutshell: Apple multitasking is semi-multitasking and Backgrounder is REAL multitasking. Apple multitasking sort of saves where you are as opposed to Backgrounder actually staying where you were.
    Thank you.

So in simpler terms, Backgrounder allows for two levels of multitasking for Apps that are not "native multitask capable" from Apple, correct?

Now I wonder if battery life is affected by having the program already loaded in the memory but not running in the background...