Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Reception issue on iPhone 4

Question Reception issue on iPhone 4
    I have recently upgraded my contract to get the iPhone 4. I am liking the amazing screen and the awesome camera so far, however, I have noticed that in certain areas the iPhone 4 shows low signal whereas other phones show medium to higher reception. It's not the death grip issue, I must mention that. Has anybody else faced this problem?!

Actually, everyone has this problem, and the 4.0.1 update made the bars show lower than usual because Apple used to show you too many bars. Don't worry, it's normal

What about other phones? If I put the same sim card in other devices, they show a higher reception as well.

Thanks

the other phones are lying to you
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

Yes, it is a software update in 4.0.1, assuming thats what you have. It is only on the device because its software.

I'm on 4.0 not 4.0.1. Not sure if it's a phone issue or network issue.
    Last edited by akash_nu; 2010-08-05 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Signal bars are a measure of reception. Each os has a different formula so to compare two different os's wouldn't be accurate. You'd have to actually compare the signal strength in frequencies. When apple released 4.0.1 they changed the formula. You could say they evened it out.
    Last edited by PWNsyst3m; 2010-08-05 at 03:41 PM.

Yes, you should update to 4.0.1 and see what it's like. 2 bars on 4.0.1 seems to be normal. Remember, bars DO NOT matter, as long as your connected there isn't a difference.

Bar does matter. The data speed decreases if the signal is low.

Get a case on it!!

As I've mentioned earlier as well. It's not the death grip issue. The signal fluctuates a lot and generally shows really low reception in certain areas where other phones show decent signal strength.

Other phones have different forumlas. Bars do not equal reception. It's just a measurement. I promise. Read this.

The iPhone 4 Redux: Analyzing Apple's iOS 4.0.1 Signal Fix & Antenna Issue - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Last edited by PWNsyst3m; 2010-08-05 at 11:54 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PWNsyst3m For This Useful Post:

akash_nu (2010-08-06)

Thanks for that link. Now it all make sense.