Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with iPhone Password

Default Help with iPhone Password
    So.. I got this iphone at my job. It was found, and then sat in the lost and found for 60 days and then I got it.

Problem is it has a password on it. I've tried to restore it via itunes, but it doesnt show up there. I've tried to jailbreak it via spirit and no luck. It also won't show up in My Computer. Any suggestions.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

If I somehow helped you, press thanks

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

i feel sorry for the person who lost it.

i would be p!$$ed if i lost mine! (especially the iPhone 4, i would kill.....not really, but you get the point)

Thanks

Nobody thought to take it to an Apple store and find out who the OWNER is?
    the chip in the phone is also a good start. guess i'm old school.
    unklbyl

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

finders keepers i guess....

one time i was working and a lady was bragging she went to subway and "found" an iphone on the counter and "took it while nobody was looking"...really think she found it??? i was disappointed with her, but that's just the world we live in these days...

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kadinh View Post
    finders keepers i guess....

one time i was working and a lady was bragging she went to subway and "found" an iphone on the counter and "took it while nobody was looking"...really think she found it??? i was disappointed with her, but that's just the world we live in these days...
    Lol i guess some people think the words "found" and "stole" are interchangeable. In the OP's case tho I dont think its entirely wrong.

No. If you left your child in a lost in found box for 60 days someone else should have it.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

If someone deliberately didn't come back for their child in the lost and found box you should continue to ignore it.

That's not the point, it's not quite appropriate to compare a child to a phone. What responsible parent would lose their child?

Wow, just take it to the Apple store and they will find the owner, bad work ethics... this is as good as being stolen, really, the sim card is an easy way to figure out who the owner is ever thought of that? If I were you I'd return it to the Apple store so they can give it to the owner, just think if it was your phone, wouldn't you want someone else to give it back?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

You make a valid point :P

I wonder if the owner got the phone blacklisted yet. If I lost my phone that's the first thing Id do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Also it could be blacklisted if they filed insurance on it. Then it belongs to the insurance company.

But he did do the right thing in the first place. He turned it into the place it was lost at. And they held it for 60 days.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

How can an iphone be blacklisted?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

Depending on where you are. ATT doesn't blacklist phones as far as I know. Other countries when a phone is reported stolen then they blacklist the IMEI and in some countries the cell companies share a database for it.

So that IMEI cannot be used on a provider that has it blocked. And changing an IMEI is illegal.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    If someone deliberately didn't come back for their child in the lost and found box you should continue to ignore it.

That's not the point, it's not quite appropriate to compare a child to a phone. What responsible parent would lose their child?
    Haha it was a joke. If I got an iPhone 4 I'd treat it like my own child . Btw LOL at OP's name.

Thanks

Ok, now that you have been bashed enough, let's get back to the problem. You have obtained the phone, and need to get the previous dumb owners password off the thing to get the phone "registered" as yours. A few options come to mind, one of those being BST at a cool web site called modmyi.com, because there are some people out there who would love a chance at thing like this. Secondly, if I read you correctly, you have not tried too many options. Since you got it for free, how about taking it apart and disconnecting the battery for a few days to see if that solves the password problem. I know that on a lot of computers there is a cool battery that remembers all the junk for you, and if your son or daughter changes the password on you, all you have to do is take out the small battery in the motherboard and shine an infrared light on the spot under the battery and it erases all security settings. Look around on YouTube about replacing the battery and see if you want to try it. Let me know
    Unklbyl
    Last edited by unklbyl; 2010-08-04 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Misspelled "Ok"

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Or you could put in DFU like neodude said and restore. Disconnecting the battery won't do it any good.

Thanks

I am sorry, I just thought it might help to try. I do not know the iphone intimately, but I do know what makes computers tick. So now you are down to 3 options.
    DFU or BST!
    Third option is to goto http://www.elcomsoft.com/eppb.html and use the trial version from a russian firm that can get passwords AND encrypted info off your phone. The home version is a little spendy, and the professional version is out of most peoples range, but that option is also out there.
    unklbyl
    Last edited by unklbyl; 2010-08-05 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Misspelled BST for buy sell trade. i need more coffee!