Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone SMS App crashing

Default Iphone SMS App crashing
    Iphone 3G - 8GB
    Firmware version - 4.0.1 (8A306)
    Jailbreak Method - Redsn0w
    Storage memory available 679mb

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Jailbroken Iphone SMS app crashing.

When I select the SMS app it is displaying a contact name from my address book with the call & contact info buttons. I also have the usual button "Messages" in the top left of the screen.

When I click on the messages button to go back to the list view of recent messages the app crashes and the springboard is displayed. I have asked my partner to send me a test SMS and this came through and was previewed correctly as a pop up. The system also allowed me to reply to the text and sent it with no issues.

I had put the problem down to a recent installation of DTunes but uninstalling the app and rebooting the device has not resolved the problem.

Can anyone assist with some clues as to how I attack this issue.

Regards

Glen
    Last edited by gramsey438; 2010-08-03 at 09:28 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Restoring is usually the easiest way to fix something like this.
    If I somehow helped you, press thanks

I've been having the same issue as well. Just a couple days ago I finally decided to upgrade to 4.0.1 and jailbreak my 3GS using jailbreakme.com.

When I open the messages app though, it loads up to the last thread of messages from whatever contact I last sent/recieved an sms just as expected. I seem to be able to respond to that message thread just fine. As soon as I try to tap the <Messages) button on the top left and get back to the list of contacts and previews of the most recent messages, it crashes out to springboard.

I can use QuickReplySMS to respond to messages just fine as well so it appears the app itself is functioning, I'm just curious why it crashes trying to display the list of messages like this. Now that 4.0.2 is released, I obviously want to try to fix this without getting stuck up on 4.0.2 doing a restore. There seems to be very few people having this exact problem since my searches are turning up very little. I'll be investigating and researching and trying whatever I can and update if I find anything that seems to fix it. If anyone else has feedback, please share!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^omnifarius

Since this happened after updating to 4.x, you must have restored from a prior backup. This brings back your original SMS database file which appears to be corrupt.

I can think of two options:
    1. Delete all SMS messages (or restore and setup as new phone)

..... or .... for the more experimental/creative/recover-at-all-cost:

2. Try rebuilding the SMS database(s). It's possible (not guaranteed) internal database errors can be fixed.

A Google search yields many sources for sqlite usage. A very interesting command is '.dump'. Dump saves all data and the db structure from which a new db can be recreated. I strongly recommend doing some research on sqlite .dump.

Note: Your current SMS database file is located in: /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/ On my iphone I have two sms database files: sms.db and sms-legacy.db. You may or may not have sms-legacy.db.

To recreate the database. Use ssh/WinSCP/Mobile Terminal:
    1. Change to the SMS directory
    cd /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS
    2. Save the current sms database
    cp sms.db sms.saved
    3. Using sqlite3, dump and save the database
    echo '.dump' | sqlite3 sms.db > sms.dump
    4. Using sqlite3, create a new database
    sqlite3 sms.NEW < sms.dump
    5. Replace existing sms database with the new one
    mv sms.NEW sms.db
    6. Change owner/group to mobile
    chown mobile:mobile sms.db
    7. Do steps 2-5 and substitute sms-legacy.db for sms.db
    reboot and test

WARNING: If you encounter any errors (especially steps 3 or 4) --- stop!!
    Errors in step 3 or 4 are non-recoverable. You are hosed. Sorry.

If this works --- great, you are finished.

If it does not, you can restore from the backup database(s):
    1. cd /private/var/mobile/library/SMS
    2. mv sms.saved sms.db
    3. mv sms-legacy.saved sms-legacy.db
    reboot and test again.

If you don't have sms-legacy.db, just ignore these steps.

Good luck.
    Be safe. Always protect yourself by keeping backups!
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-08-13 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Edit for file permissions

If you don't care then rather than all that just try deleting all your SMS convos through this method.

SSH to user/library
    save the SMS folder to your computer as a backup
    then delete all the files within the SMS folder on your iphone.
    reboot.
    does it work?
    sms will be blank since this will delete all your past convos.

You can move your sms back from your computer if you want but it'll crash the same. It's probably a bad database file.

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be giving them a try over the weekend. I won't be too terribly upset losing my sms history at all if it fixes this issue, but I'm intrigued to see if fixing the corrupt database is possible. I'll do some research on sqlite and see what happens and get back with results.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^You are welcome. Good luck.

BTW: rest_easy's method is the easiest way by far to remove and start over. This also works with Contacts (AddressBook), Call History, Calendar and a couple others.

Since my contact and calendar databases are huge, I sometimes delete these files and have iTunes recreate (info/replace iPhone contacts, etc) during a sync, especially after extensive edits on the iPhone.

If you delete them, be sure to reboot, then open the app to get the default empty database created. Then you're good to go.

Lots of useful info that i will also use to try and resolve the issue. Nice to know I am not alone within problem.

Thanks again for the helpfull pointers.

Unfortunately, I have nothing good to report. I didn't get a chance to look at it over the weekend but I spent a few hours trying to fix this last night.

I backed up everything and tried to delete the entire database first figuring once I knew it worked, I could tinker around a bit more and attempt to restore my history. Well, even with a fresh blank database, the problem persists. So back to the drawing board for me.

I know I can always try to restore the entire phone from scratch but what's the fun in that? I'm curious what's actually wrong here. I found the list of crash logs while poking around WinSCP so I think I'll dig through those and see if that might provide any insight towards the actual reason for the crashes.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omnifarius View Post
    ... Well, even with a fresh blank database, the problem persists...
    If you're sure you deleted everything in the /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/ directory, rebooted and the problem persists -- then it's not a database problem. Could be a basic setup issue.'Reset All Settings' might fix. Else the problem is with the app itsself and you probably have no choice but to restore. If it is the app, I am a bit surprised nothing else is failing.

Hmmm...same exact thing happened to me today. Sms app crashes as soon as I hit the messages button. Basically everything you described to a T.

It appeared to be very random. I just installed the remove background toggle for sbsettings last night and used the toggle a couple times this morning and it seemed to happen after that. So I tried to remove that and that didn't work.

I just tried to reset all settings and that didn't help at all. Going to probably just restore and start fresh. oh well

Update: tried rest easy's suggestion of clearing the SMS folder through ssh and that didn't help either. Even left it off overnight. Same issue. Going to restore tonight.

So I'm on 4.01 can I restore to official 4.0 (I kinda like the original signal bars ha ha) then just re jailbreak? I do have my shsh's saved
    Last edited by jedimindreader; 2010-08-18 at 09:10 PM.

Smile Fix SMS crashed iphone 3gs 4.01
    Hey there,

I had the same problem you all were having and i fix the problem (at least on my device) and i wanted to share that with you all.

I jailbreaked my iphone 3gs with firmware 4.01 and i couldn't see my sms messages anymore except the last one i received. I could reply to it but as soon as i went back to messages it crashed.

I was on holiday and i just got back so i tried to delete all sms messages in the hope that would resolve the problem. No such luck.
    Than i looked on the internetin the hope more people had found a fix for this problem but noone did so far. Then i looked at my installed apps and the only thing i installed for sms messaging was the smshelper app to show me the character count when i was writing a message, i uninstalled the app and guess what happened?
    the problem was gone.

So for who has installed smshelper app try to uninstall the app and see what happens.

I just installed earlier without looking to see if it was compatible with the OS4 firmware and it doesnt.

Let me know if this resolve the issue for you poeple who has problems with sms messaging.

Good luck

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stricly For This Useful Post:

omnifarius (2010-08-22)

Quote Originally Posted by Stricly View Post
    So for who has installed smshelper app try to uninstall the app and see what happens.
    Bingo! I can't believe I missed that. I didn't even notice my send button wasn't showing the char count like it used to. Uninstalled that utility and everything is working again.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and help on this one. Of course it had to turn out to be something much simpler than we all originally thought

Hey all, just wanted to add that I was having a problem tonight with MMS crashing as soon as I hit the Send button. I could view all text histories but could not send.

I restored as new from 3.1.3 to 4.0.1 and JB'd last Tuesday, and I realized I had not sent or received any texts since earlier that day last Tuesday. I did use SSH to back up MMS and call histories and copy them back after setting up the phone as new, so I checked and found the sms.db and sms-legacy.db files were set to Owner: root. I changed both files to Owner: mobile and now all works fine.

hey ppl,

was having sms problem too .. jus that mine was a lil diffrent .. so thought wil share .. well i could browse to my sms well but wenevr i tried to send any sms as soon as i would press the send button.. the app would crash ...

well i figured out changin the premission of the mobilesms.app and uninstalling a stupid freesms app from cydia which never works .. soughted out things ..

tc ..

So hear are some insights, and I very much believe this will help somebody post a solution, because I think I found out why.

Problem: I click on the Messages App ( SMS) and a window opens, but the list doesn't show. After 10-15 seconds, the window crashes.

My phone: Iphone 3GS- v 4.3.3 and jailbroken using jailbreakme3.0

Partial Solution: Restore all my settings, and I got to see my SMS history list, but that came after 4 seconds, very slow, but better than nothing. So the database is not corrupt.

Interesting Findings: In Cydia, Manage, Storage, I realize that my System Storage shows 99.1% used, and 0.9 % free. Less than 1% free memory can't be good, but I'm going to research this and see if I can clear up some space. I believe this will solve the problem. If it doesn't, I'll proceed to a complete restore.

Default SMS app crash solution
    Hi,

If you installed SMS helper via Cydia, go to cydia packages and delete it immidiately. After that restart your springboard and probably you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by gramsey438 View Post
    Iphone 3G - 8GB
    Firmware version - 4.0.1 (8A306)
    Jailbreak Method - Redsn0w
    Storage memory available 679mb

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Jailbroken Iphone SMS app crashing.

When I select the SMS app it is displaying a contact name from my address book with the call & contact info buttons. I also have the usual button "Messages" in the top left of the screen.

When I click on the messages button to go back to the list view of recent messages the app crashes and the springboard is displayed. I have asked my partner to send me a test SMS and this came through and was previewed correctly as a pop up. The system also allowed me to reply to the text and sent it with no issues.

I had put the problem down to a recent installation of DTunes but uninstalling the app and rebooting the device has not resolved the problem.

Can anyone assist with some clues as to how I attack this issue.

Regards

Glen

I had the same problem and have just managed to fix it!
    Since I did a fresh restore and "only" restored all the packages I'd installed with Cydia (via xBackup),
    I decided to check what would happen if I disabled each of them and then restarted the phone.
    It took me a while though (I used SBsettings for this, it has a nifty Mobile Substrate Addons section
    in which you can toggle each mobile substrade addon you have installed previously).
    After going through the whole list (about 25 items), starting the Messages app
    and trying to see if it worked, I've finally discovered the culprit in my case: iPhoneDelivery!
    So if you have it installed, delete/disable the bastard and restart your iPhone.
    Also, deleting the iPhoneDelivery addon helped with some other apps that kept crashing (OldBooth, for example).
    If you don't have iPhoneDelivery installed, try the same procedure with other addons,
    who knows what's responsible for the crashes in your case... Hope this little info will help anybody.