Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Deleting Language packs and Laugh Daemons on iPhone 4?

iPhone? More like MyPhone ROFLwaffle's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Deleting Language packs and Laugh Daemons on iPhone 4?
    Has anyone tried this yet?

Using this command to delete the language packs:

find / -type d -name "*.lproj" -not -iname "en*.lproj" -exec rm -rf {} \;

And deleting these Launch Daemons:

com.apple.DumpPanic.plist - Dumps crashes for evaluation by Apple.
    com.apple.ReportCrash.(Different Things).plist - There are 5 of these daemons, and they collect data about what caused a crash, what programs were running at the time, etc.
    com.apple.CrashHouseKeeping.plist - Also deals with crashes.
    com.apple.aslmanager.plist - This daemon manages system logs.
    com.apple.syslogd.plist - Logs system events.
    com.apple.powerlog.plist - This is used to monitor any incompatibilities with 3rd party chargers.
    com.apple.stackshot.server.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device. Some more information can be found here, although the page is quite technical and isn't very useful to an end-user.
    com.apple.tcpdump.server.plist - This daemon is apparently used to dump traffic on a network (Source), but I don't know what that means, exactly. Removing this daemon has no adverse effects on one's device.
    com.apple.iqagent.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device.
    com.apple.mobile.profile_janitor.plist - This daemon's function is currently unknown, but removing it has no adverse effects on one's device.
    com.apple.chud.chum.plist - This daemon is thought to relate to Apple's CHUD (Computer Hardware Understanding Developer) tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.
    com.apple.chud.pilotfish.plist - This daemon is also thought to relate to Apple's CHUD tools. Removing this daemon will have no adverse effects on your device, unless you are a developer.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

i did this a while back on my 3GS but, it did NOT play well with MMS at all, never did it again, the gains weren't like "stop the presses" impressive, just "ok"...

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Already deleted all of the lproj files. I'm waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig on the launch daemons. I'm not really that concerned about the launch daemons this time around b/c it's an entirely different ballgame with 512mb on tap now.

Thanks

did you see any difference on deleting all the lproj files?
    Without my sword, I can not protect you. With my sword, I can not embrace you.

Thanks

I haven't noticed much yet, but I haven't really maxed out the capabilities of the phone yet. Either way, anytime you delete 5 or 6 thousand files the system will be more responsive.

wait paganizonda you are getting 512mb in memory?

i usually only get 300-350mb

Thanks

No, I was just referring to what the phone is packing this year. I'm in the 330-350 boat myself.

There are garbage files that can be deleted from the iphone? Man i've been off the map then because I've always uninstalled SB Settings and all those background running apps because it would slug out my phone.

What files can a non-developer delete that wont affect the phones everyday features?

I just deleted launch daemons on my iphone 4, apparently some of the "unknown" ones are for iphone 4 that are needed and sent me into an infinite loop.... I was just doing a google search on ones not needed and havent found an updated list as of yet.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwil736 View Post
    I just deleted launch daemons on my iphone 4, apparently some of the "unknown" ones are for iphone 4 that are needed and sent me into an infinite loop.... I was just doing a google search on ones not needed and havent found an updated list as of yet.
    Yeah, you have to be careful on the i4. I just use iFile and back up all the LD's and then gradually delete the listed LDs one by one, reinstalling ones that I find are needed.

is deleting the language packs the same process on iphone 4 as it is on other devices? ie using terminal?