Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hatin' on ih8?

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Hatin' on ih8?
    Lately I have noticed a growing amount of bashing and flaming going on towards ih8snow. Now, I consider myself a relatively in the know member of the jailbreak community, but I am confused as to the sudden surge in disapproval of him. I don't really use a lot of his stuff (I have some of it in the past), but I know a large amount of the community has benefited from his services. Could anyone please tell me why there is such a growing dislike of him amongst some of the members (a couple who seem to take it personally and elevate it to an entirely different level)? Please don't post just random opinions as to why (hearsay is what caused this confusion in the first place), only make claims if you are able back them up and show some evidence.

Thanks

I was wondering the same thing.....

Thanks

So much bashing of him recently, yet nobody can comment why?

Because his 'products' are usually half finished, and often rip off's of other people's work.
    They cause all sorts of problems for developers and have caused many people to lose their JB and/or unlock.
    I would not touch anything by him and advise everyone to steer well clear.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Yeah, sorry, I was hoping to hear from someone who doesn't have a personal vendetta towards him, thanks.

iPhone? More like MyPhone dazzer1983's Avatar
    Thanks

Think its because of the pie joke? dont know for sure
    Hit Thanks if i helped

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dazzer1983 For This Useful Post:

Phantom21 (2010-07-31)

I forgot which one of the dev team said it, but apparently his products use other peoples codes, which some include Apple copyrighted code, which is obviously illegal, and they also supposedly cause a lot of problems and are unstable.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

iH8sn0w basically took planetbeing's open-source xpwn and built a gui wrapper for windows. And while that sounds easy enough, he has had to do some major reworking of key components to make it work. He has posted all his code changes on github.

The dev team got bitter because when iH8sn0w released sn0wbreeze, he didn't give proper credit in the release notes to planetbeing.

During the first few releases of sn0wbreeze, there were issues in which it did allow a baseband update, causing some people to lose their unlock. I haven't heard cases of this in a long time now but people still hold it against him for not properly testing before release.

The young man (15y) does deserve some credit. He has supported a windows community of jailbreakers, that the dev team has chosen not to. I guess the dev team is either fine with redsn0w only releases and do not want to make a pwnagetool for windows or they do not have anyone on their team who can make a port of it.

iH8sn0w has built tools such as f0recast, iDetector, sn0wbl0wer, iREB, and sn0wbreeze. I know many people in this community that have used these tools and are very appreciative of their existence. MuscleNerd lately has taken issue with iREB because it does include some Apple code and has called publicly for its removal from iH8sn0w's website.

Another thing that iH8sn0w doesn't get much credit for is his discovery of the AT+XEMN crash that geohot exploited in blacksn0w. Without this crash discovery, unlockers might have been without an unlock till the recent updates of ultrasn0w.

Lately, they have taken issue with a joke that started between iH8sn0w and myself that involved the use of #pie in our tweets. While there have been many people that have taken it too serious, I think that it has offered some comic relief during this stressful time waiting for the jailbreak. While the use of #pie is far from harmful, the h8ters have used it as fuel against him.

So while in some ways I can see the frustrations of the complainers, I think that iH8sn0w does deserve some merit. He is pretty much a one man team that has developed some pretty damn useful tools.
    Last edited by StealthBravo; 2010-07-30 at 05:39 PM.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-07-31), dazzer1983 (2010-07-30), jkmonkey (2010-07-30), Junior2377 (2010-07-31), mortopher (2010-07-30)