Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I want to use my iphone as a phone line for my modem

Default I want to use my iphone as a phone line for my modem
    I use netzero for work, and I want to be able to use my iphone for a dialtone/phone line so I can hook up to netzero while on the road. I know what you are gonna say. use the data connection or PDAnet. well I need netzero only...

does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

so you want to use it as if its an old dial up?
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

yes oldschool dialup!! I have a modem on my laptop with a regular rj9 jack. I somehow need to hook up my iphone to that jack. I was thinking maybe like an adapter from rj9 to the dock connector or maybe even the earphone peice. I dont know what my options are. i just need my laptop to be able to connect to a dialtone with my phone.

Thanks

Cell phones have no dial tone. A 56k dial up modem will look for and need a dialtone before it will try to dial out.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow, does the laptop not have wireless?

If not must be a really old one!

You can get wireless card pretty cheap and just about all motels have free wireless internet!

You're willing to settle with 56k and use NZ versus some sort of tethering?

no. this computer has a built-in wireless card. I just HAVE to use netzero. it is for IP address reasons. I know the 56K restrictions. I use it all the time at home. Its for work.

Thanks

Sorry there's just no way to use a cell phone's phone service with dial up Internet.

well I currently use a Z3 rizr to do the same thing but I am tired of swapping my sim card in and out just to hook up via netzero when I am on the go. I know what you are all saying. I do and can currently hook my phone up and use 3G tethered, but that is not what I need to do. I need to somehow make the computer think that the iphone is a modem when hooked up via USB. at least that his how the motorola's work. is there a driver that makes the computer think the iphone is an external modem...there has to be some way to do it. otherwise I am stuck with the rizr

I wouldn't see why you couldn't use any method of connection for NetZero. It should be able to connect through any internet connection, or at least that's the way it was when it was free.

I dont really want to log into my netzero account. your right I can do that with any internet connection......what I want to do is I want to use dialup. I need a phone connected to my laptop to use dialup. If im not at home and have a land line, I was hoping I could use my iphone as a phone line for dialup. netzero is the dialup I pay for.

So do you have a static IP address when you dial in on a phone line? You're still making no sense as to why this needs to be over dial-up.

why not just pay for a regular internet service...?