Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Desperate help needed. cant find the solution anywhere. Restore related! :(

Default Desperate help needed. cant find the solution anywhere. Restore related! :(
    right to cut a very long story short.. i got the new iphone 4 and gave my 3g to gf. the screen got damaged and iphone broke aappart. it had a big fall. she bought a second hand 3g, and i bought some replacement parts. new screen assembly and back assembly. took the logic board out of the one she bought and popped it in the new front and back screen assemblys. all works fine. but using the second hand (working) front and back screen assembly i took from gf's phone to put my old logic board in, has seemed troublesome to say the least! it wont power up, it wont reset holding home and power buttons. the screen doesnt show anything unless its connected to itunes and a system restore is being done. but here comes the problem. it wont restore! it gets three quarters of the way through and then just stoppes. i tried restoring to 3.1.3 and 3.1.2 by trying to put it in dfu mode. but i can only go on the sounds it makes in itunes when connected. it originally had 3.1.3 on it, but have just tried restoring it to anything recently, and its having none of it. any help would be greatly apprieciated! even if theres another way of trying to get the firmware on the phone. just totally stumped on what might be wrong with it. thanks again even if you managed to get to the end of the rant! lol edit. also tried rejail breaking with new redsnow and it makes it through jailbreak but doesnt change anything!
    Last edited by kingmodest; 2010-07-14 at 01:45 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

That was really hard to read/understand. From what I gathered you might work on the hardware issue before you worry about restoring it.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    That was really hard to read/understand. From what I gathered you might work on the hardware issue before you worry about restoring it.
    sorry about that mate typed it out real quick. will try go over it to clear up a few points. what hardware issue are you refering? to try sum up. old 3g had logic board taken out and put in new fron and back 3g assemble bout from ebay. that works fine was given to gf. the old 3g front and back assembly (that was working) got my old logic board in. but now ive got all the problems mentioned in my first post. am totally stuck. as no one seems to know the problem. ive found litterally a hand full of people who has same prob. but know one seems to have a answer. 2 on google. and 2 on youtube. still no one has a answer
    Last edited by kingmodest; 2010-07-14 at 01:48 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    seemed troublesome to say the least! it wont power up, it wont reset holding home and power buttons. the screen doesnt show anything unless its connected to itunes
    Unless im misunderstanding that?
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    Unless im misunderstanding that?
    it works on itunes. but only when i try restore it. but when i do try the restore the apple logo is in the middle of the screen. and sometimes i get the little spinning wheel at bottom of screen. very odd for a 3g that prieviously had 3.1.3! its like its perminatly stuck in dfu mode. its always got the black dfu screen. and again it wont restore. always gets stuck half way or 95% depending on what firm i use.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Google Ireb for iphone!

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Google Ireb for iphone!
    yeah have tried that.

Default Same, EXACT problem
    Quote Originally Posted by kingmodest View Post
    sorry about that mate typed it out real quick. will try go over it to clear up a few points. what hardware issue are you refering? to try sum up. old 3g had logic board taken out and put in new fron and back 3g assemble bout from ebay. that works fine was given to gf. the old 3g front and back assembly (that was working) got my old logic board in. but now ive got all the problems mentioned in my first post. am totally stuck. as no one seems to know the problem. ive found litterally a hand full of people who has same prob. but know one seems to have a answer. 2 on google. and 2 on youtube. still no one has a answer
    I've got the same problem, bought a back assembly on ebay from hong kong with a working logic board and now I can't restore. Did you ever get it solved??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnmares View Post
    I've got the same problem, bought a back assembly on ebay from hong kong with a working logic board and now I can't restore. Did you ever get it solved??
    Are you still having problems or did you get it solved ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Are you still having problems or did you get it solved ?

Nope, still having the problem. I can get it in restore but then no futher. I can get it in DFU but then no further. Whatever I try to do, itunes goes into the "preparing iphone for restore" sequence, the screen on the iphone blinks, it starts to take the upload and then the dreaded spinning wheel at the bottom of the screen with the shiny apple in the middle.

I'm going to let the battery discharge and hopefully that will kill everything...that's the only things I can think of.

The only part of the new back case assembly that's "active" is the charging dock/mc/speaker assembly. All the other components are switches and cables...I can't think of anything that would cause this, seeing as how the logic board was working just fine before I dropped it into the new case.

If all else fails, I'll try dropping it back into the old case and see if I can at least get it to boot.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Understood. You're on the right track. Good luck.
    If there's anything we can do to help .... we'll try as best we can

Has anyone else ever had this problem?? Did the OP get his fixed?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Likely someone has seen your problem ... and either exchanged or gave up.
    Both you and the OP have potential hardware issues.