Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 on 3G slow? Turn off Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by pacer31 View Post
    I hope this is the answer to my lagging phone, but I can't seem to find where to turn spotlight off. I see on/off toggle for "Single-Click to Search" (which doesn't seem to work) under Supreme Preferences 3.0 > Home but aside from that, I see nowhere in settings the ability to turn off Spotlight ... though I couldn't follow your path; in the General menu, there's no "home button"? Is there something I need to install first? Thanks!
    you go to settings general spotlight and uncheck all the stuff

settings>general>spotlight search> uncheck everything
    Last edited by jellofosho; 2010-07-16 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

updating baseband resolves this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by vikram View Post
    updating baseband resolves this issue.
    Sorry I'm not sure what or how to upgrade/downgrade to from my current 05.13.04. I also hope to resolve some other glitches: iPod sometimes randomly skips the first song when I first play it (but different song or inactivity altogether if you try to go back) and the screen going blank after receiving a call (only being able to see the screen again after the call has ended by hitting the lock button before the home button).

how do you upgrade baseband? how do we remove language packs.. thanks

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pacer31 View Post
    Sorry I'm not sure what or how to upgrade/downgrade to from my current 05.13.04. I also hope to resolve some other glitches: iPod sometimes randomly skips the first song when I first play it (but different song or inactivity altogether if you try to go back) and the screen going blank after receiving a call (only being able to see the screen again after the call has ended by hitting the lock button before the home button).
    05.13.04 is the current baseband, updating the baseband makes no difference, he would have had to do a complete restore to get his baseband update and that would also magically make the phone new again :P the restore is what helped him not the baseband...
    Last edited by lodgechad; 2010-07-26 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

This works great for my 3GS. Been playing with this for about an hour and I notice everything seems snapier. I don't EVER use spotlight so this is a plus for me. Wish someone would make a sbsettings toggle to turn spotlight off! Great find on this!

edit: This also works with iPad! I've noticed all my apps load almost immediately, especially apps Designed for iPad! Once again GOOD FIND I'll be telling all my iPhone/iPad buddies about this!
    Last edited by Krak4211; 2010-07-26 at 04:33 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mwr_allen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stooovie View Post
    Title says it all - iPhone 3G apparently has trouble keeping up with indexing, ever since 3.x. Two days ago, I turned off Spotlight search (Settings-General-Home Button-Spotlight search-switch off all you don't use) because I rarely, if ever, used it.

Up to this day, my poor old 3G with iOS is way snappier than it was before, and I wouldn't hesitate to say it's as snappy as with 3.1.3. Stutter while open/close transitions is gone and apps load way faster. I've compared it to some youtube videos (YouTube - iOS 4 Performance on iPhone 3G (Camera and Settings)) and mine on iOS 4 performs almost as fast as theirs on 3.1.3.

This is not even a "Restore as new phone" install - it's restored from backup that has 7,5 GB out of 8 GB filled.

Please try this if you find your 3G struggling with iOS 4 and report back.
    I don't mean to shoot down this test but I can see from the video clearly that the two phones have been used and have different apps on them, the only way that this test would be completely fair to both os versions would be to restore them to factory setting and do the test immediately after activation of both, otherwise different apps and settings may cause slower times respectively.

Just an observation.

Thanks.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

this really does work a treat im still wanting a way to get rid of spotlight alltogether though, i like my one-page layouts and being able to slide to the left kinda ruins it...

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Quote Originally Posted by mwr_allen View Post
    I don't mean to shoot down this test but I can see from the video clearly that the two phones have been used and have different apps on them, the only way that this test would be completely fair to both os versions would be to restore them to factory setting and do the test immediately after activation of both, otherwise different apps and settings may cause slower times respectively.

Just an observation.

Thanks.
    My observation of the responses to this is that it does work. To be completely fair, you could have at least tested it yourself.

Tested and very pleased with results. Thank you.

all so for all you iphone 3G owners when jail-breaking don't add multitasking if you did download ( Ztoogle ) from Cydia and turn it off will see a big difference in speed as well as turning off spotlight search to do so settings / general / home button /spotlight search and uncheck all then restart phone.

i want to know how to remove the page, not just turn off indexing, i dont want to flic over to the left, no point ince i never use it

Quote Originally Posted by KraKsX View Post
    i want to know how to remove the page, not just turn off indexing, i dont want to flic over to the left, no point ince i never use it
    The closest I've seen is a way to disable it but the page still appears, you just can't use it. As far as I know, nobody has made anything that completely removes it.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I tried this and it did seem to make a noticeable difference. Thanks for the tip.

My issue is it still feels ALOT slower than 3.1.3 did. Much as I like OS4, I'll have to enjoy it on my new iPod and not the older iPhone. Seems Apple should have trimmed it down further to run better on an old 3G.

I think I may go back to 3.0.x to see if I can get the data working on the prepaid acct anyways.(GoPhone) Phone side works. Apple screwed with the APN(?) in the firmware making data usage impossible, even though I paid for a small package of data...

There is a hack on the SiNfuL iPhone Repo that allows you to disable spotlight completely.

- add http://www.sinfuliphonerepo.com to your Cydia Sources
    - install "Disable Multitasking"

their main site is www.sinfuliphone .com

there is tweak in Cydia to remove spotlight, it is called "NoSpot"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12