Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Back up and restore without loading 4.0 on my 3G ??

Default Back up and restore without loading 4.0 on my 3G ??
    Hey Everyone,
    So my phone 3G is acting a little quirky and I've never done a back up and restore.
    After reading 4.0 OS / 3G horror stories.........how do I back up and restore without 4.0 getting loaded on to my phone when restoring?
    The last dialogue box says the newest iphone software will be installed.

Is there a way around this??
    Thanks , kenny S

Thanks

Download the firmware and use <SHIFT> Retore, then point to the file you downloaded.

Thanks simtech but I'm clueless as to our advice.
    Any link to a tutorial online?
    Thanks , Kenny S>

Hi Kenny,

Yes this is possible. First, download the firmware you would like from here:

ModMyi Forums - Downloads - Firmware

Check carefully to make sure you are downloading the correct firmware for your device (iPhone 3G).

After the download is complete, plug in your iPhone and open iTunes. Now in order to restore to the firmware you just downloaded instead of the one Apple wants to use, you will hold down the "option" key on your Mac while you click the Restore button in iTunes (if you are on Windows, hold down the "shift" key instead of "option"). Now a dialog box will pop up so you may direct iTunes to the .ipsw file you just downloaded. Select the file you just downloaded and thats it!

Good luck.

Just as a quick side note, some browsers, notably Safari on Mac, will rename the .ipsw file .zip automatically. You can either simply rename it to .ipsw or select a different browser to download the file, such as Firefox.

Great..........Do I do this after the back up or should I back up separately then do the restore?

Also....What is the best OS version for the Iphone 3g??

Thanks for the details, Kenny S

PS.....I am not jailbroken

Personally I would recommend 3.1.2 if you don't like 4.0.

I believe as long as you sync just before performing this restore, everything should be backed up. Then when the firmware restore is complete, iTunes will prompt you to either set up a new phone or restore settings from backup.

Thanks for the advice.........all went well.
    Thanks!
    Kenny