Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Searching Cydia App Store

Default Searching Cydia App Store
    The Cydia App Store is a great resource as is the cydia app search. However, it is really difficult to find the relevant app you may be interested in. App names are quirky, funky or just weird and often don't 'do what it says on the tin'. Often there is no description for the App, so you still can't work out if it is what you need and then once downloaded there are no deployment instructions, so you have to search your phone to see if it is an app, or an addition to the settings menu or what have you.

Maybe I'm a bit fresh to this iPhone modding, but for the guy who just wants to get a bit more out of the system, now I've found it's all here, just wishes it could be a little easier.

I presume modmyi or Cydia are making some money from these apps, or at least the developers are making gudos, so why no working search platform.

Where products are found, with descriptions, placed in certain categories so themes are separate to useful tools, and reviews. Ok, there are reviews on this site under the cydia/search.php but there are no dates. So you have no idea when the app was made, if it still works, if there's a better one and how relevant the few reviews are.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant. Maybe someone will get back to me with the cydia appstore where I should be looking, in which case I apologise for not finding it.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

most apps do have descriptions... they tend to take 5-20 seconds longer to load then the main details of the program, this is so the servers arn't bombarred by data requests from people that randomly/mistakenly click on something. it also makes it quicker to load the main details of the apps to help speed up loadings
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    this is so the servers arn't bombarred by data requests from people that randomly/mistakenly click on something. it also makes it quicker to load the main details of the apps to help speed up loadings
    I've never heard of that... ?

The way Cydia works is that when you first start up, it downloads the list and description of every package in every repo you have set up. Then, when you actually go to look at a package description, instantly you see the description that was downloaded when you first opened Cydia. But here's where the delay comes in: Cydia debian packages allow for an URL to be automatically called when the user opens the description page (it's in the depiction field in Saurik's iPhone debian/apt spec). The depiction URL usually contains a few ads, a longer description, screen shots, etc.

I always attributed the delay to the poor response time of the ad servers called on in the package depiction.