Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS iOS 4 proximity sensor problems...

Default iPhone 3GS iOS 4 proximity sensor problems...
    I have heard about the proximity sensor issues on the iPhone 4, but has anyone had any problems on the 3GS?

After installing iOS 4 GM a few weeks ago I noticed on my 3GS that when I would take my phone away from my ear the screen would not turn back on without pressing the power button. Soon after I downgraded back to 3.1.2 and had no problems. Tonight I installed the general public release of iOS 4, this time it was jailbroken, but I'm still having issues with the screen not turning back on after a phone call...

Has anyone else had this problem? if so do you have any solution to fix it?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to eremeya For This Useful Post:

gmc (2010-08-04)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey,

I've actually been experiencing this problem, and have been trying to find a solution, or someone else who is having it as well. Glad to know it's not just me. I have found no solution, and I haven't had the chance to test it on a stock 4.0 because I used pwnagetool. Hopefully someone knows something!

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I wanted to let you know you aren't alone.

Thanks

I have the same issue. I go back to 3.1.2 and it goes away, it drives me nuts!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I had the same problem as well. I disabled Advanced Preferences in winterboard and problem was solved!! I have iPhone 4 running 4.0.1. Hope this helps!!

I have the same issue, however although I am using the same device and firmware as the device above, I have disabled (and removed) Advanced Preferences, yet the problem persists.

I believe that the advanced preferences package changed a settings variable that caused the issue. Resetting all of my settings fixed my problem.
    Last edited by Chaossangel; 2010-08-29 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chaossangel For This Useful Post:

Cinder (2010-09-21)

Thanks

I had the same problem, 3GS on 4.0.1. One day, out of nowhere, the problem just went away. I have NO IDEA what I changed/installed/modified, but the problem just went away. I spent HOURS scouring the internet for answers to no avail. I finally just gave up and accepted it. Then one day during a call I pulled the phone away from my ear and the screen apopeared. Havent had the problem since. WEIRD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaossangel View Post
    I have the same issue, however although I am using the same device and firmware as the device above, I have disabled (and removed) Advanced Preferences, yet the problem persists.

I believe that the advanced preferences package changed a settings variable that caused the issue. Resetting all of my settings fixed my problem.
    This worked for me. Under settings>general>reset settings
    So glad to have my phone working again.
    Ps: 3GS with 4.0.1 jailbroken

I've had another issue, maybe a little worse though since my phone rebooted roughly 5 minutes into every call... then roughly 2 minutes until it was booted again.

I have a 3Gs with 4.0.1

After loads of restores (both to backup and set up as new phone, both with and without jailbreak) I started testing other stuff and it seemed like I could leave my phone, on the table, in a call without reboots. Putting a piece of paper over the proximity sensor however caused the phone to reboot in 5 minutes or so.

Then I found this thread and after resetting, actually only network, settings I've had my phone, in a call, with a piece of paper over the proximity sensor for 30 minutes.

I guess I'll find out if it's permanent or temporary...

Thank you

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I suggest you guys make apple aware of this as it sounds like it's not hardware/jailbreak issues. I would link you to the feedback page but I'm on my iPhone :/ it's easy to find just go to the apple site..
    I havnt had this on my 3G, I havnt used it for calls in aaaages so I just tested it and I have no problem (on 4.1) so it sounds like a 3GS only problem

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

It's not directly related to the initial issue here, but there's a big thread on Apple support forums about the issue I have with 3Gs on iOS 4+ rebooting during calls.

Like me, some others also seem to believe it's related to the proximity sensor.

The issue has so far not been addressed or answered by Apple and the thread started back in June and is now 107 pages(~1600 posts) long so it seems apparent there are issues with 3Gs and iOS4+

Here's the thread if anyone's interested:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread....71090&tstart=0

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have a similar problem; the screen doesn't turn off during a call (proximity sensor, I'm guessing). Reset didn't work. Everything else works... Even the gps. Unlocked 3g 4.2.1 (8c148) bb 06.15.00. I haven't found any answers yet.

Doing a reset all settings fixed the problem for me...I have an iPhone 3gs that was jailbroken, decided to Restore the phone so I could upgrade to 4.3.3, then did the jailbreak again, was having the same problem so I did another Restore and the problem continued.
    By going to Settings-General-Reset-Reset All Settings fixed the problem I guess is a ios4 bug...