Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disable OS 4.0 Multi-Tasking

Default Disable OS 4.0 Multi-Tasking
    How?

Hate it, it doesn't work intuitively, kills my battery and destroys the performance of the phone.

bad job Apple
    iPhone 4G 32 GB (2 of them)
    OS 5.0.1
    JB Utility: redsn0w 0.9.10b1

Thanks
    Thanked 5,329 Times in 3,113 Posts

If this is for your 3G, that is why apple disabled it on purpose

it is most certainly not disabled. I can see the affect it has on the free RAM. open the little menu thingy, kill all the running apps in there and my RAM will go up 20-30 mb.

is there an app to kill it? or must I use RedSnow again

edit: btw, yes I know it isn't meant for a 3G. never was a fan of Multi-tasking anyways, so no big loss.
    OS 5.0.1

Are you talking about a 3G? Prepare to be insulted if you are...

Sorry didn't refresh soon enough. I think you have to use redsnow again.
    Last edited by Cory Gillmore; 2010-07-03 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tylus View Post
    it is most certainly not disabled. I can see the affect it has on the free RAM. open the little menu thingy, kill all the running apps in there and my RAM will go up 20-30 mb.

is there an app to kill it? or must I use RedSnow again

edit: btw, yes I know it isn't meant for a 3G. never was a fan of Multi-tasking anyways, so no big loss.
    It is enabled by you and redsn0w. You enabled it when you checked off the box saying add multi-tasking before running redsn0w. Apple has multitasking turned off by default on the 3G because your phone doesnt have the memory to handle it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to StealthBravo For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (2010-07-04)

You do not have to use redsn0w again. Simply delete the "multitasking" key from System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/N82AP.plist

unfortunately strings and I haven't gotten along in the past, so I try not to edit them manually anymore.

if I redsn0w again, will it just change the multi-tasking? or will it reset the entire phone?

and yes, it is unfortunately a 3G. I bought it 1 week prior to the 3GS reveal so I have to wait 1 yr to upgrade or pay $400 for a 3GS
    OS 5.0.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone jeezy45's Avatar
    Thanks

i updated to redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 from redsn0w 0.9.5b5-3 and i didnt lose anything but themed weather backgrounds. let me know if you have the same problem with the weather backgrounds.

but DONT restore or u will lose everything!!
    DON'T HESITATE HIT THANX!!

I hav redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 currently. I'm going to grab redsn0w 0.9.5b5-5 and see what happens. Maybe my iBooks will work again?

Did just do a quick re-jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 and the multi-tasking is gone.

Thank you guys very much.
    OS 5.0.1

iPhone? More like MyPhone jeezy45's Avatar
    Thanks

ibooks works with the new redsn0w update
    DON'T HESITATE HIT THANX!!

it worked...awesome, 2 birds in almost 1 stone. I love this site
    OS 5.0.1

How?

Hate it, it doesn't work intuitively, kills my battery and destroys the performance of the phone.

bad job Apple

I just cant get over your first post where you insult apple for creating multitasking because you think it doesn't work well on your phone. This is probably the exact reason that they DON'T enable it by default for your phone. You enabled something that apple didn't think was a good idea to enable, and then turn around and somehow insult apple for your actions. LOL You will be one of the people who whine and complain about iPhone 4 reception; I promise you.

Thanks

Thanks

Many people have stated that selecting both wallpaper and multitasking during the Redsn0w jailbreak process on an iPhone 3G running 4.0 will degrade performance severely. MuscleNerd has tweeted choose multitasking or wallpaper, but not both. If that doesn't work, then don't select multitasking.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleNerd
    @ma94264 yep I think iPhone3G users should try 4.0...JB with redsn0w redsn0w 0.9.5 BETA [iPhone Dev Team] + decide about MT or wallpaper
    5:16 AM Jul 1st via web in reply to ma94264
    As for battery issues, restore a clean 4.0 firmware, set your iPhone 3G up as a new phone in iTunes. Do not "Restore from backup" in iTunes. This eliminates the majority of the battery issues.
    Last edited by reddawg; 2010-07-05 at 08:40 AM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by seh6183 View Post
    I just cant get over your first post where you insult apple for creating multitasking because you think it doesn't work well on your phone. This is probably the exact reason that they DON'T enable it by default for your phone. You enabled something that apple didn't think was a good idea to enable, and then turn around and somehow insult apple for your actions. LOL You will be one of the people who whine and complain about iPhone 4 reception; I promise you.
    are you running OS 4?

even if I had a iPhone 4, or a 3GS I would hate the Multi-tasking. it's not a matter of poor performance on my 3G. it's a matter of poor design and thought put into the concept on Apple's behalf.

Everything stays running, or at least it keeps a "most recent app" list running in the background. All of that stuff backgrounded is ruining performance and killing battery
    Apple essentially did what Microsoft did to Windows.

The OS is rather bloated and was rushed to market. It wasn't ready yet. The future of OS 4 look promising, but it needed more refinement. And frankly, Apple should have copied the Jailbreak scene to get the Multi-tasking. Their version SUCKS

To re-iterate, I hate the Multi-tasking for how it operates. Not for how my phone handles it. It was poorly enabled and needs more "fixing" to make it really usefull
    OS 5.0.1

wow, really? the word moron comes to mind after reading that.

are you running OS 4?

even if I had a iPhone 4, or a 3GS I would hate the Multi-tasking. it's not a matter of poor performance on my 3G. it's a matter of poor design and thought put into the concept on Apple's behalf.

Everything stays running, or at least it keeps a "most recent app" list running in the background. All of that stuff backgrounded is ruining performance and killing battery
    Apple essentially did what Microsoft did to Windows.

The OS is rather bloated and was rushed to market. It wasn't ready yet. The future of OS 4 look promising, but it needed more refinement. And frankly, Apple should have copied the Jailbreak scene to get the Multi-tasking. Their version SUCKS

To re-iterate, I hate the Multi-tasking for how it operates. Not for how my phone handles it. It was poorly enabled and needs more "fixing" to make it really usefull

Boy you really have zero idea of how apples multitasking works, do you? The multitasking in os4 does nothing to affect your battery life. It may use additional memory, but it does nothing to your battery life on any level. Except of course if the program is doing something in the background, the majority of which will be location services. When you leave, close, or switch to another app, the current app you were in has it's exact state saved and frozen until the next time you open it. This uses a very little amount of memory, but does nothing to your battery. Please get educated on something before you start bashing it.

And the multitasking bar at the bottom shows all recent apps because it does not matter which ones are and aren't running. They consume the same amount of memory either way so apple felt it wasn't necessary to continually have to close apps out when not in use.

Sounds to me like you are trying to justify the fact that you are using a 3G.