Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How come SHSH doesn't need to be saved for iPhone 3G?

Default How come SHSH doesn't need to be saved for iPhone 3G?
    I've never been able to save my SHSH because I missed the chanec to save my 3.12 blobs on Saurik's server but now that I'm updated to iOS4 on my iPhone 3G, I would like to save my SHSH blobs in-case I ever need to downgrade back. But when browsing the umbrella blog (The Firmware Umbrella), I see this at the bottom of one of the blog posts:

If you have an iPhone 3G you don't need to save your SHSH.

Does anyone know why this is? Anyways, I downloaded the program anyways and attempted to save my SHSH blobs but the wrong device is displayed, it says my device as an iPad 3G but that is not the case. I would like to save my iPhone 3G's SHSH blob. Can anyone inform me of why I don't need to save my blob?

Thanks

A 3g doesn't need to have it's firmware signed by Apple before it can install it. This is a good thing. It means you can install any firmware you choose on a 3g without worrying about what Apple "wants" you to install.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Apple stopped signing firmwares for the 3GS so the SHSH blobs are so a restore can be done on a 3GS in case something goes wrong. 3G phones can restore to most firmwares with no problem without having to upgrade, so you dont have to worry about the files. Like jkmonkey said, its a good thing you dont have to.