Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dead spots on iPhones touch screen!

Default Dead spots on iPhones touch screen!
    Hi all, I have come across a bug in the hardware, not software. The whole bottom strip of the screen will no longer respond to my touches! This is the second time this has happened to me. Apple has replaced the phone the first time, and gave me a new one. Then the new one had a vibrate hardware issue: it wouldn't vibrate. So I brought it back the next day and they replaced that one. Now, a month and a half later the phone has the entire bottom region dead to my touch, like before. I can't use anything in the bottom dock. So, I am going to have to go back and exchange it again!

This will be my 4th iPhone. What are the chances that I would get 3 lemons from the same store?! Has anyone else experienced this hardware failure?

Also of note, I had the phone jail broken and running a bunch of 3rd party apps, but still use ATT as my carrier. I have restored it and will bring it in and see how it goes. I know it isn't a jail break issue because this happened before on a clean phone with no jail break.

If anyone has experienced this issue or knows how to remedy it, I am all ears! Thoughts?

Thx

Okay, an update:
    I re-stored the phone to 1.0.2 and then went to the store. They didn't even question it, they heard what I had to say and handed me a new one: #4! The Apple tech said that he almost never sees this issue. Doing some research reveals that about 1% of iPhones have this issue, for now. So, I got 3 busted iPhones from one store, what are the odds. Anyway, they replaced it, didn't even ask or check to see if I had modded it. They do however have a sign on the counter stating their stance on unlocked/hacked iPhones. Restoring the phone using iTunes seemed to be fine when getting help from Apple. I am on ATT's network, so I didn't have to face that music at all. Another thing I noticed, since I have gone through this before, is that they now have a drawer full of new replacement iPhones. In the past they have always opened a new box and handed me one from there. He did confirm that they were new not refurbished. So, I would guess Apple has seen a lot of return/replacement situations and now stocks them in little white boxes behind the genius bar.

That's my story, if your screen acts funky to the touch, go return it. Just be prepared to spend some time getting it back to the modded beauty it was before the failure

Thx
    Last edited by Zacko; 2007-09-28 at 02:56 PM. Reason: UPDATE!

Yesterday my screen out of the blue lost functionality on the top half. By that I mean it displays images, but it will not respond to touch. The bottom half works fine. I have not made any software changes in that time (ie. it must be hardware failure). I was running an unlocked/jailbroken 1.1.1, I have since downgraded to 1.0.2. I use t-mobile. I am going to bring the phone to the apple store in hope of a replacement. Here is my question, do I need to virginize the phone because I don't believe they will be able to see what the baseband is. This is because you cannot click the Settings->About tab since it is on the top half of the screen. Also I don't think they can dial into the field test mode where the would also see the baseband because the 1-3 keys wont work, the "i" button is also above the top half and will not function. I will also remove my t-mobile sim before bringing it in. The phone will be restored to 1.0.2 (not virgin) and will be locked when I bring it in, without a sim card. Is there anything I should worry about? Will they be able to tell that I have unlocked this phone? Has anybody else been through this?

Thanks a lot guys!

Don't know if it makes any difference but I'm on MBP w/ OSX 10.5.1 and itunes 7.5

The entire touchscreen failed on my first unlocked iphone. I managed to return by restoring to 1.1.1, but they they insisted on me having valid AT&T SIM. So I signed up, got the SIM and cancelled service with AT&T the next day. Then I unlocked it and went back to T-mobile.

Looking around the various iPhone forums the touchscreen failure seems fairly common.

Default Sorry to be the one to inform you..
    But that little white box neatly stacked under the "genius" bar is in fact a refurbished iphone. Apple gives these refurbished units new serial numbers entirely different from the common 7R7, 7S7, and so on. So go on and check, and pray you don't have to return with another iphone issue down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by redspy View Post
    The entire touchscreen failed on my first unlocked iphone. I managed to return by restoring to 1.1.1, but they they insisted on me having valid AT&T SIM. So I signed up, got the SIM and cancelled service with AT&T the next day. Then I unlocked it and went back to T-mobile.

Looking around the various iPhone forums the touchscreen failure seems fairly common.
    do u have to pay to sign up?

Happened to mine, too. Unfortunately I am in Australia and bought my iPhone on eBay, so no support from Apple. My seller agreed to repair or replace the unit, which they should receive in the next few hours. Hope they keep their word.

Incidentally, last week, there were two other posters who reported this same problem.
    Last edited by truenorth; 2007-11-23 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

Quote Originally Posted by powa View Post
    do u have to pay to sign up?
    No. I signed up and canceled 2 days later, thus avoiding the activation fee and contract fee. It was no hassle to cancel.

Default Mim
    I'm the retard that used make it mine and restored my fone. It then still said my custom network name. I thought that was fine until the lower half of my touch screen died. now if i take it in they'll know it was hacked by looking at the network name. Will thwy replace it if i take out my SIM?
    Oooh... I think she like me....