Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Android

Default Android
    I've been with an iPhone 2G for three years now, and have used this site extensively for all iPhone concerns as it has a very large user as well as thread database, and it seems to be where all the action is at. It's my third most visited site in Firefox, and it's helped me more than anything. With some Android users on this forum already, was wondering if there was a similar site for Android, since ModMyMobile isn't really that big, and I know that the number of people with Android phones is very high.

As for my next phone, not sure where I need to go as I never did like Apple (I got the iPhone 2G for free when it first came out via raffle, the last thing I would have done then is drop down 400 bucks for a phone with crappy specs), but probably going for Nexus One as I'm stuck with a two year contract with AT&T that ends in September 2011. Wondering if there was any other phone that I can get now that works with AT&T, as all the good Android phones use CDMA..

iPhone 4 get with it wait until the relase the official jailbreak tool for unlocking and jb needs the iPhone 4 Rocks.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Nexus One comes in a version for AT&T. I like my N1 but use the iPhone 99% if the time, even when it was just my 3GS. N1 is a worthy alternative but I would stick with the iPhone line.

How are you still in contract with a 2G?

Umm, got the iPhone 2G for free and went through a Tmobile contract or two. Started an 2-year AT&T contract in September of last year. Only difference I really see between iPhone 4 and Nexus One is the front camera of the iPhone and a shinier screen, while a more open market with the Android phone and no jailbreaking even necessary or unlocking. As for the App store, I think the Nexus One has more to offer as it does allow more apps, and though Android=80k apps and Apple=250k apps...almost 80 percent of Apple's app store is pretty much crap, so I don't care too much. Damn, what I'd do to trial out a Nexus One...I'd prefer to hold one in my hand first before buying it...

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    Umm, got the iPhone 2G for free and went through a Tmobile contract or two. Started an 2-year AT&T contract in September of last year. Only difference I really see between iPhone 4 and Nexus One is the front camera of the iPhone and a shinier screen, while a more open market with the Android phone and no jailbreaking even necessary or unlocking. As for the App store, I think the Nexus One has more to offer as it does allow more apps, and though Android=80k apps and Apple=250k apps...almost 80 percent of Apple's app store is pretty much crap, so I don't care too much. Damn, what I'd do to trial out a Nexus One...I'd prefer to hold one in my hand first before buying it...
    Edit: if you signed up to AT&T and brought a phone you owned free and clear, there was no reason for you to sign the contract. They lock you into a 2-year contract in exchange for subsidizing a phone, and since you didn't get a free phone, there was no reason to be on contract. I would call them and try to get out of it.

And yeah, on paper they look similar, which is why I bought the Nexus One (to compare them side by side and see if I could switch away from the iPhone yet).

Nexus One notification bar is great... better than non-jb and more integrated than jb solutions.
    I love how the little ball lights up when you get a notification.
    Widgets work great, better than iphone jb ones, though occasionally, some widgets are broken.
    Replaceable battery is a plus but not as big as I used to think. I always have a charger handy and external battery packs for the iPhone exist.
    Phone feels good in general, but not at the same quality level as the iP4.
    Google apps is well integrated, of course.

To the iPhone side, the N1 cannot touch the user interface. This was the hardest part for the couple of weeks I went exclusive with the N1 (try to transition). Someone can pick up an iPhone and they just know how to use it... it's as simple as that. The N1 takes some getting used to. Not as hard as a blackberry, mind you, but it's not just a pick up and use device.
    The iP4 screen seems more responsive to touch.
    The little ball is not that useful and pushing it in is more awkward than a button would be.
    Media more closely built and integrated in the iPhone.
    Apps are better on the iPhone by a long shot, period. There are more, yes, and a lot are crap, yes, but any good app on android is on the iPhone too (usually first). Not to mention a whole slew of useful apps that are on the iPhone only. Not to mention that even on apps that are on both (something as big as Facebook, for instance), the Android version is broken (notifications), missing some features, and not as easy to use as the iPhone version.
    If you forget your charger, it is a LOT easier to find an iPhone charger to use or borrow.
    The iP4 screen is better/clearer.
    The iP4 feels nicer, looks better.
    Front facing camera is kinda handy actually, and facetime, while seeming gimmicky and so far wifi only, is pretty fun to use.
    The rear camera on the iPhone rocks... much better than the N1.

I'm sure there is more but I'm tired of writing now.

The N1 used to have more advantages, but the iP4 and iOS4 erased a lot of them, but even before both of these, I still used my 3GS 3.1.3 JB over the N1 most of the time.
    Last edited by z6joker9; 2010-06-28 at 06:26 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to explain the N1. My biggest issue is that I don't want removable media. I love the built in hard drive.

First, regarding the contract, I'm in a family contract thing with my mom and sister, and they got free phones, and therefore, yeah, locked in atm for two years.

As for Android and Apple, tried looking up most of the apps I already use on the Android Market, and they seem to be there. There also seems to be people out there porting apps from iPhone to Android, claiming the process is actually pretty easy to do. Still, I guess I need to do more researching on this, as there are apps that Google has on their phones that Apple doesn't on theirs which bothers me too. I saw some videos with people using the Nexus One, and it does look like the touch screen is less responsive (Apple=smoother touch movements, swiping, etc.), so really need to consider that. Still, I'm not in the position to spend 530 bucks to try out a phone, and especially not in the position to spend another 400 after that for the iPhone 4. Just wish I can get away from EDGE, fake GPS, and my slowing down phone now with newer apps and software and such...

Oh yeah, also, there is a way with Android, to, umm, get paid applications without the necessity of money, right? Damn, I've gotten too reliant on a community like this, that I think Ima get owned when I go to Android...
    Last edited by yahoowizard; 2010-06-28 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yahoowizard View Post
    First, regarding the contract, I'm in a family contract thing with my mom and sister, and they got free phones, and therefore, yeah, locked in atm for two years.

As for Android and Apple, tried looking up most of the apps I already use on the Android Market, and they seem to be there. There also seems to be people out there porting apps from iPhone to Android, claiming the process is actually pretty easy to do. Still, I guess I need to do more researching on this, as there are apps that Google has on their phones that Apple doesn't on theirs which bothers me too. I saw some videos with people using the Nexus One, and it does look like the touch screen is less responsive (Apple=smoother touch movements, swiping, etc.), so really need to consider that. Still, I'm not in the position to spend 530 bucks to try out a phone, and especially not in the position to spend another 400 after that for the iPhone 4. Just wish I can get away from EDGE, fake GPS, and my slowing down phone now with newer apps and software and such...

Oh yeah, also, there is a way with Android, to, umm, get paid applications without the necessity of money, right? Damn, I've gotten too reliant on a community like this, that I think Ima get owned when I go to Android...
    I would still check on your contract. Even on a family plan, each number is upgraded individually of the others. I have two family plans, one with 5 lines and one with 2 lines (7 total lines).

Like I said, there are a lot of apps on both, but don't expect the same app to work as well on the android (usually not designed for it specifically, or again, missing some features), come out/get updated as soon as the iPhone version, and don't expect the large amount of games on the Android.

As for cracked apps, which we cannot discuss, I would assume Androids could do this though I'm not sure it's as big as the iPhone side of it.

What Apps does the Nexus One have (that you want) that isn't on the iPhone?

It's really not that much, but the Google-based applications work better or are only on the Android (Voice, maps/navigation, a browser with Flash, finance). I'm sure that iPhone 4 has some ways around this, but hm. Alright then, I'm going to wait for the White iPhone 4, I guess, see whether any new developments happen by then, which is I think, the end of the summer, then make a decision. And, meh, 400 dollars is ok for the new iPhone, and the fact that it doesn't restart my contract is good too, so I don't think I need to focus too much on the upgrade price/family plan issue.

howard forums ...just google it...larges mobile phone forum in the world and includes all mobile phone providers

Kk, thanks a lot. I just realized if I really wanted to, I can put Android on my iPhone 4 after they develop it, so yeah, should be alright.

Found the forums. It's Android Forums. It's split into like, 50 sub forums, one for each phone, and it's really amazing. The Galaxy phones have 5 subforums, one for each carrier, and the one for the Captivate (my current phone) is just super active, as are the others too. Like, literally, a thread that's active can get 10k views and 300 posts in 5 days, and it's amazing. I'm not advertising these forums on the Apple forums, but if anyone needs a ModMyI.com equivalent for Android, this is where to go for all the information you need. It has some Apple fanatics, a lot in fact, so there's some balance between those who went from iPhone to Android, as well as people who went from Android to iPhone. Personally, I love both, but yeah, it's a nice forums to visit alongside modmyi.com...