Results 1 to 13 of 13

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Gmail Email Users: How Do You Receive Push Mail?

  1. #1
    Exclamation Gmail Email Users: How Do You Receive Push Mail?
    What are you Gmail email users using to be notified of your emails as they come? I've used the app PushMail but its not so convenient - is anything better out there so I can have push mail on my darned phone?

    I thought with IOS4 push would work with gmail but still no dice this sucks for gmail users. I need to manually check my email everytime...while yahoo users have push?!?

  2. #2
    Retired Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Alhambra, CA
    Posts
    16,904
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

    Install Push Doctor??

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    What are you Gmail email users using to be notified of your emails as they come? I've used the app PushMail but its not so convenient - is anything better out there so I can have push mail on my darned phone?

    I thought with IOS4 push would work with gmail but still no dice this sucks for gmail users. I need to manually check my email everytime...while yahoo users have push?!?
    Set up Gmail via the Microsoft Exchange option.

    1st: Erase all email accounts off of your phone.
    2nd: Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Add Account... > Microsoft Exchange; now enter in the following info:

    Email: Obvious Part (use the full [email protected] not just your username)
    Username: Same as Email Address
    Password: Your gmail password

    Domain is left blank and the description can be whatever you want to use to identify the account in your email account list.

    Click "Next"

    A new box will appear "Server" just above "Domain". In this box enter: m.google.com and then hit next, now it will give you the choices of what to sync/push with your phone. you can sync your gmail mail, contacts, and calendars all with your phone or deslect any that you choose. This works wonders as I never enter any numbers or dates in my phone anymore when i restore, i just resetup my gmail account like this and it syncs everything.

    Please note: Before you selet for it to sync your contacts with gmail, it's best to make sure the contacts are all on your gmail contacts list. It's not the end of the world if you don't, it just is frustrating otherwise until you work out the bugs that will entail regarding duplicate names and such.

    Easiest way is to enter all iphone contacts into your gmail contacts (manually isn't really a long process at all unless you have like 200+ contacts. i'm sure there's other ways to do it but i haven't had to do it in so long i can't recall) and then when you select for the contacts to sync it will as to delete contacts from iphone or merge with the gmail contacts.

    Also, make sure to deselect the contact syncing and calendar syncing in itunes otherwise you will constantly get duplicates due to your phone syncing with multiple sources.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-06-27 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mortopher For This Useful Post:

    bobright (2010-06-27), moppsy (2010-07-05)

  5. #4
    If you want push.. You must download Boxcar!!! This app is amazing.. I used it with my googlevoice, skype, and twitter... It will push pretty much everything.. You have to take the time and set it up.

  6. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethanolic View Post
    If you want push.. You must download Boxcar!!! This app is amazing.. I used it with my googlevoice, skype, and twitter... It will push pretty much everything.. You have to take the time and set it up.
    There is no need for you to set up Gmail via Boxcar. Read previous post.

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by paganizonda83 View Post
    Set up Gmail via the Microsoft Exchange option.

    1st: Erase all email accounts off of your phone.
    2nd: Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > Add Account... > Microsoft Exchange; now enter in the following info:

    Email: Obvious Part (use the full [email protected] not just your username)
    Username: Same as Email Address
    Password: Your gmail password

    Domain is left blank and the description can be whatever you want to use to identify the account in your email account list.

    Click "Next"

    A new box will appear "Server" just above "Domain". In this box enter: m.google.com and then hit next, now it will give you the choices of what to sync/push with your phone. you can sync your gmail mail, contacts, and calendars all with your phone or deslect any that you choose. This works wonders as I never enter any numbers or dates in my phone anymore when i restore, i just resetup my gmail account like this and it syncs everything.

    Please note: Before you selet for it to sync your contacts with gmail, it's best to make sure the contacts are all on your gmail contacts list. It's not the end of the world if you don't, it just is frustrating otherwise until you work out the bugs that will entail regarding duplicate names and such.

    Easiest way is to enter all iphone contacts into your gmail contacts (manually isn't really a long process at all unless you have like 200+ contacts. i'm sure there's other ways to do it but i haven't had to do it in so long i can't recall) and then when you select for the contacts to sync it will as to delete contacts from iphone or merge with the gmail contacts.

    Also, make sure to deselect the contact syncing and calendar syncing in itunes otherwise you will constantly get duplicates due to your phone syncing with multiple sources.

    Hope this helps.
    Whooohoo that was well written and very helpful, thanks a lot paganizonda83. I now have gmail push and it seems legit as can be, microsoft exchange is tied to gmail safe right (as we did give our email and password)? Has this been out for a while?

    No gmail push was a big complain of mine since I had the 2G this is really nice.

  8. #7
    Yeah this method has been out for some time, It's extremely useful though. Unfortunately I use a work email that uses gmail's server but for some reason it doesn't work with the push anymore. It did when it was first online and now it no longer does. It's unfortunate. My email ends in @calderaengineering.com but it uses a gmail business account. Anyone know a way around this?

    Also, I use this exchange w/gmail for my contacts as well and it works great. All my contacts are kinda in "the cloud" and anytime I add/modify, they are also modified on my gmail account.

  9. #8
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Whooohoo that was well written and very helpful, thanks a lot paganizonda83. I now have gmail push and it seems legit as can be, microsoft exchange is tied to gmail safe right (as we did give our email and password)? Has this been out for a while?

    No gmail push was a big complain of mine since I had the 2G this is really nice.
    Yes it is safe, if you go back into the email settings window again after setup and select the gmail account you can go to account info and towards the bottom it will show that the account is by default SSL encrypted.

    They (gmail) released microsoft exchange configurations for the main smartphone companies (apple, rim, etc) back in September. It really does make things a whole lot easier. When I camped for the i4, I was 10 hrs in by the time I finally got in the store and was being helped by an employee (10 hrs, lame i know, but hey I had the day off anyways and just watched movies on my laptop/phone the entire time) and told him to just sell me it and do the bare minimum he as to do to set it up so that I can walk out of the store asap and go to bed. So i walked out of the store with absolutely nothing on my phone and within about 30 seconds I had put I had setup the gmail exchange and had all of my contacts and calendars instantly on the phone and ready to go like normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    Yeah this method has been out for some time, It's extremely useful though. Unfortunately I use a work email that uses gmail's server but for some reason it doesn't work with the push anymore. It did when it was first online and now it no longer does. It's unfortunate. My email ends in @calderaengineering.com but it uses a gmail business account. Anyone know a way around this?

    Also, I use this exchange w/gmail for my contacts as well and it works great. All my contacts are kinda in "the cloud" and anytime I add/modify, they are also modified on my gmail account.
    Enable Google Sync via ActiveSync - Google Apps Help

    It appears that the push capability has to be requested/setup by your company. I don't understand the reasoning behind it, but if it's a relatively small company it shouldn't be too difficult to get it okayed.

    Yeah, the on-the-fly syncing is pretty impressive. I was seriously wowed by it when I'd go to my calendar on my google account and add an appointment and then to go check my synced calendar on my phone and see the new appointment there almost instantaneously (same with contact info updates).
    Last edited by mortopher; 2010-06-27 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #9
    right on paganizonda83,

    i didnt even bother trying as its never worked but if we use the plain ol "gmail" setup through mail we wont get push right, its gotta be done this method? was just curious as my batterys been draining overnight pretty quick but doubt its anything to do with microsoft exchange
    Last edited by bobright; 2010-07-02 at 08:13 PM.

  11. #10
    Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pittsford, NY via Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,742
    Thanks
    549
    Thanked 622 Times in 346 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    right on paganizonda83,

    i didnt even bother trying as its never worked but if we use the plain ol "gmail" setup through mail we wont get push right, its gotta be done this method? was just curious as my batterys been draining overnight pretty quick but doubt its anything to do with microsoft exchange
    While it does to an extent effect it, there are multiple other things that can be addressed to lessen the drain on the phones battery (brightness, 3g, wifi, multitasking, etc).

    Apple - Batteries - iPhone

    That's actually a pretty good summary of the things to keep in mind when conserving the battery is an issue.

    Also, you can go in and delete/disable the unused launch daemons and that will help it a lot too.

  12. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Woodbridge, Ontario
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Yup, Thats the way i did it

  13. #12
    for me push with gmail never works

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,021
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 789 Times in 731 Posts

    Just found this thread while searching for a different push issue.

    I personally don't like exchange and prefer the simple straight-forward approach. Push EMAIL notification (all email accounts) is possible if you use a messenger client such as IM, Yahoo. I use IM+ which also gives push notifications for multiple logged-in accounts (like Gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc). When you exit IM+, it retains your log-in status for up to 7 days. Since I don't want to appear 'available' 24/7, I set my IM+ status to invisible which is enough to get email (plus contact on-line) notifications. At night I use PushSoundBlock to disable all push notification sounds.

    BTW: I looking for a way to 'store' these push messages for later review. It is easy to miss something, especially if I'm sleeping (hahaha).

    Any ideas?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •