Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: FLV file playback?

Default FLV file playback?
    Is there a hack, mod, workaround, or app to let me playback saved FLV files?
    iTunes wants me to convert FLV files to MP4 first. I found an FLV Converter program which does the job, but no matter what, the converted files don't look as good as they did when I played them on Youtube with the Youtube app. There is definitely noticeable degradation on conversion.

It just seems like the iPhone can already playback streaming FLV files directly from Youtube with the Youtube app, why shouldn't it be able to play them from the local disk without conversion?

iPhone? More like MyPhone yomommah's Avatar
    Thanks

Youtube servers detect an iphone and they call the converted version to be streamed to your phone i think

Livin the iPhone Life desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

You probably have your conversion settings set to reduce bitrate. Try tweaking the settings. Also, there is no native flv playback. Youtube.app only plays H.246 files. There are a few bookmarklets that offer flv playback but results vary wideley.

The conversion program I'm using doesn't do a straight conversion. It makes me choose the video and audio bitrates without letting me know what the original video and audio bitrates were. What's the best way to convert an FLV without losing quality and without significantly increasing file size? All my MP4's are larger, but look worse than the FLV files grabbed from Youtube.