Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: from 3G (JB 3.1.2) to 4 gone bad

Default from 3G (JB 3.1.2) to 4 gone bad
    Hi,
    Yesterday I received my iPhone 4 and tried transferring from my old iPhone 3G (jail broken 3.1.2). And its gone horribly wrong, please help.
    At the very start I updated my iTunes to newest 9.2.0.61. Then I backed up my old 3G. Plugged in the new iphone 4, activated and tried to restore from backup. I received an error:
    Code:
    iTunes could not restore iPhone "blahblah" because the backup failed.
    I deleted backup through iTunes settings, backed up my old 3G again and tried restoring again - same error. Then I remembered reading something about itunes 9.2 and jail broken phones. I removed my itunes, installed older 9.1.1 from oldapps. Backed up 3G again, updated itunes to 9.2 and tried restoring 4. Same crap.
    Now I'm screwed completely: my old 3G got messed up. No installed apps work, except "native" apps. If I try to backup or sync my 3G, it gives me an error:
    Code:
    The iPhone "blahblah" cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found.
    I already restored the new iPhone 4 to factory settings once, now I connect it to itunes and it says it can't be read and needs to be restored to factory settings again. The whole thing is getting really frustrating...
    I have my address book synced to outlook, so that one I can get into my new phone. All the apps - f***em, I'll install them by hand. All I really want is somehow not to loose my SMS messages. Is there a way to "manually" backup or transfer SMS messages from one phone to another? Like I said, my old phone wont even sync by now. And new phone - I'm stuck with clean factory restore now.
    Address book (will sync from outlook) and SMS messages is all I need. Is there any way/solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: Even though my old 3G is kinda messed up now, it still has all the messages in it (I can open "messages" and see all of them).

---------------------------------------------
    Edit:

Help, please!
    My new iphone 4 is f***ed up. Every time I connect it to my pc, iTunes gives error:
    iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "blahblah". Go to the Summary tab in iPhone preferences and click restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.
    I've restored it probably 5-6 times already. Even reinstalled clean win7 and itunes - nothing helps. Every time while restoring, after the phone gets restored, iTunes tries to sync it straigth away and gives error:
    The iPhone "blahblah" cannot be synced. The required file cannot be found.
    Then it kinda syncs it. Everything looks ok, until I disconnect the iphone from pc and reconnect it - and same crap all over again - "cannot read... restore...".

Help, please. Is my new iPhone completely f***ed up? Should I just go to Apple store and ask them to fix it or something?
    Last edited by shEiD; 2010-06-25 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by shEiD View Post
    Hi,
    At the very start I updated my iTunes to newest 9.2.0.61. Then I backed up my old 3G. Plugged in the new iphone 4, activated and tried to restore from backup. I received an error:
    Code:
    iTunes could not restore iPhone "blahblah" because the backup failed.
    Wait... why would you want to plug in your iphone 4 and tried to restore?

I googled, on the first page found this: Planning data transfer for iPhone 4. As it was on Apple Support forums, and I was pretty tired and (obviously) anxious to try out the new phone, I didn't think or research more.
    Now, is that the reason my new iphone4 is crapping out? Because I tried to restore?
    I'm sorry, I hate iTunes, I pretty much never use it. I probably used iTunes 5 times during those 2 years, that I had my 3G. I transfer my music with mediamonkey, and thats that. I've never gotten to properly familiarise myself with it. I'm sorry, but iTunes is total crapware, IMHO, iPhone's worst aspect is that it needs iTunes to sync, update, etc.
    Anyways. What do I do now? I stopped by Microcenter today to pick something up, I noticed Apple section, and asked an employee there about my problem... The guy grabbed my phone with words: "Heh, it's a first time I see one" So, obviously he couldn't help me at all. He said, just go to Apple store and complain.
    Well, I'm gonna do that, as a last resort, but I would like to sort this thing out myself.
    So, any ideas, what should I do to fix this bs?