Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unresponsive Screen

Default Unresponsive Screen
    Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem since going to iOS4.

I have a 32GB 3GS with the old bootrom and baseband 4.26.08 upgraded from 3.1.2 to iOS 4GM using a custom IPSW I created in PwnageTool 3.1.5.

The trouble I have is that in certain apps, the middle third strip of screen running top to bottom becomes unresponsive. The only thing that fixes it is a reboot or a crash to safe mode and back. Locking and unlocking or respringing does not fix it.

The only jailbroken app I have now on the phone is cydia (and any supporting frameworks) and ultrasn0w. I did have SBSettings before but removed it for troubleshooting.

It's 100% reproducible with two apps that I found so far. One is Soundhound and the other is Softphone (VOIP Client) both legally purchased and installed through iTunes. Just launching these apps cause the problem; they worked perfectly before I moved to iOS4.

I'll try to do a restore with a new custom IPSW from PwnageTool 4.0 and the final apple firmware release but thought this was pretty wierd since all the other screen issues seems to be hardware and not really caused by any particular app. I just tried the apps on a 3G that was updated using the normal iTunes process to iOS4 and it works fine. If I don't launch these two apps the phone works perfectly, never an issue with the screen.
    Last edited by mmike70; 2010-06-23 at 04:28 PM.