Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Does iOs4 enable custom sounds yet?

Default Does iOs4 enable custom sounds yet?
    I heard that iOs 4 enables you to do backrounding and change the home screen wallpaper, as well as create folders. (All stuff that a jailbroken iphone could do, so this isnt worth getting for me yet)

I want to know, can you change the sounds beyond the ringtones with the new os? Can you add/ change SMS sounds, mail sounds, etc? (officially, without downloading any custom ones, as thru Cydia or Rock)

Also, are there any other features that really make the iOs4 update worth it?

Im still on the fence to get this, because its nothing my iphone cant do already.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStryker View Post
    I heard that iOs 4 enables you to do backrounding and change the home screen wallpaper, as well as create folders. (All stuff that a jailbroken iphone could do, so this isnt worth getting for me yet)

I want to know, can you change the sounds beyond the ringtones with the new os? Can you add/ change SMS sounds, mail sounds, etc? (officially, without downloading any custom ones, as thru Cydia or Rock)

Also, are there any other features that really make the iOs4 update worth it?

Im still on the fence to get this, because its nothing my iphone cant do already.
    Sadly, no on the custom sounds. Still worth the upgrade IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    Sadly, no on the custom sounds. Still worth the upgrade IMHO.
    What about the upgrade is worth it to you?

Im really thinking about getting it, but I can do all of ios4's features already, to the best of my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStryker View Post
    Im really thinking about getting it, but I can do all of ios4's features already, to the best of my knowledge.
    True, every update to Apple's iOS has added features that were already available to jailbreakers. However, Apple's implementation of each new feature has consistently been better executed, with much more polish and a natural integration into the OS. Take firmware 2.0, which added the App Store. Jailbreakers had been adding apps to their devices for quite some time with Installer. However, with Installer, you had to add sources, respring your device any time you installed something, and always had to worry about an app crashing your phone. With firmware 3.0, Apple added copy and paste. This was already available with Clippy, but I think everyone will agree Apple's implementation was far more natural.

So here we are at iOS 4.

The first thing it adds is homescreen wallpapers, something we've had since the early days of jailbreaking. However, Apple put a bit more thought into it than just slapping a picture behind the icons. Apple also added drop shadows behind every icon and the dock that help them pop out from the background, allowing you to easily see the icons even when using a light or busy wallpaper. Once you've seen wallpapers in iOS 4, I think you'll agree they look better than they ever did when applied via winterboard.

The second new feature is multitasking. This is another feature jailbreakers have had for a long time, and Apple's implementation isn't even true multitasking. Apple only lets certain parts of apps, like audio streams or gps tracking, run in the background. The rest of the app is suspended and then immediately unfrozen when you return to it to avoid a long load time. So, it's not realy multitasking so much as it is fast app switching with some limited multitasking features, which has gotten many jailbreakers upset. My response is, SO WHAT? When you are running Pandora and you want to surf the web, does it matter that everything in the Pandora app but the music (album art, banner ads, etc.) is suspended? The music keeps playing doesn't it? Or suppose you are playing a 3D game and you want to write a text message. Do you really want the game to keep running and using all your memory while you do it? If you switch out of the NY Times app to write an e-mail, does it matter that the app is suspended if you are taken back to the exact paragraph you were on when you return to the app? Apple's implementation is certainly not TRUE multitasking. However, it is SMART multitasking. By only backgrounding the parts of apps that actually NEED to be running in the background, not only is RAM freed up to help with other tasks, but the drain on the battery is reduced. All that being said, Apple's mechanism for "fast" switching between apps does leave something to be desired...

The last big new feature is folders. Again, way better and far more intuitive than Categories. Drag and drop is simple, and the folder opening animation is very cool. Yes, there is a limit of 12 apps per folder. But seriously, if you are putting hundreds of games on your iPhone, it may be time to think about getting a hobby of some kind.

In addition to all this, there are also the upgrades to the Mail, Camera, and Photos apps, not to mention a litany of other minor features that can be detailed through a simple Google search.

In conclusion, no there are not really any features that are completely new to jailbreakers. However, many of the features you are used to are implemented in a far better, more Apple way. I will say, if you are on an older device, such as an iPhone 3G or iPt 2G, you may want to stay at 3.1.3, as iOS 4 seems to consume a fair bit of RAM on its own and you may find your device is faster if you stay at 3.1.3 and jailbreak. However, I think I'm done jailbreaking with this update. I do miss SBSettings and a few other things, but not enough to go back to the world of a laggy springboard, overall instability, and constantly hitting "free memory" that comes with jailbreaking.

If you do still feel the need to jailbreak 4.0, Pwnagetool has been updated if you are on an old bootrom 3GS, 3G, or iPt 2G (non MC model). If you are on a new bootrom 3GS or iPt 3G, Geohot has indicated he has been sitting on a new bootrom exploit, so a new jailbreak tool should be out shortly (probably after iPhone 4 is released). So, if you can't jailbreak 4.0 right now, you won't be without your jailbreak for long.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this helped you make up your mind.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacDevil7334 For This Useful Post:

NiteStryker (2010-06-24), Xadamx1 (2010-06-23)

Did they at least add new sounds to the choices?

Macdevil thanks for the long post, it was very informative. I am still debating on loosing my modern warfare 2 theme I have loved. Losing Sbs wouldn't mean that much to me, and I do want the multitasking. But I will definatly miss the boss prefs. I don't care for quite a few icons and I like having them hidden.