Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with purchasing a 3GS iPhone

Default Need help with purchasing a 3GS iPhone
    I am trying to upgrade my iPhone 2G to the 3GS due to the drop in prices and release of the 4G iPhone. I am very new to the 3GS and I have no idea what to look for when purchasing one.

Can you please advise me on what specs/firmware/model to purchase when getting a 3GS for use with 3.1.2/3 or even OS 4.0?

Note: I would want to Unlock & Jailbreak the phone for use with T-Mobile, I will also be using Windows to unlock or a “professional” if it seems too hard for the 3GS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So you are wanting to buy a used one from like craigslist since you are using t-mobile anyways? If you look on your local craigslist there are usually a lot of jailbroken/unlocked ones.

I am getting it from craigslist, but many times, the cheaper ones are the non-unlocked/jail broken ones.

That's why I'm looking for tips here so I can do it myself, or take it to a "professional" on craigslist.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A 3Gs with 3.1.3 can be jailbroke using Spirit and then unlocked using the new version of Ultrasn0w. As far as I know there isn't a jailbreak for a 3Gs on iOS 4 tho yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    A 3Gs with 3.1.3 can be jailbroke using Spirit and then unlocked using the new version of Ultrasn0w. As far as I know there isn't a jailbreak for a 3Gs on iOS 4 tho yet.
    So any iPhone 3GS can be unlocked like this? I was told that the model/modem firmware/production date matters, or is that old news?

iOS has been jailbroken with Apple computers. Windows version should be out soon.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'll have 2 different 3GS's (16GB) to sell as soon as my 4's arrive (6/24). Both are near perfect as have had zagg shields since day one. One is 4.0 jb'ed with 04.28.06 and has hashes on file all the way back to 3.0. The other is 3.1.3 jb with hash for 3.1.3 and 05.11.07