Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: my phone is still under warranty, would Apple fix the plastic casing which has a crack?

Default does apple fix things like
    earphones if there broken
    Last edited by bobright; 2010-06-21 at 08:35 AM.

Thanks

I took my 3GS to try and get a new one because I had dust under my screen... they originally were going to replace the screen only, until they saw I had the exact same crack you just described... they replaced my entire phone as a result.

So I'm guessing they will cover it as long as the phone doesn't show signs of being dropped. You might also take a close look at your screen with a flashlight to see if there is dust under it since they also cover that.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Like Azlum said; they should replace it as long as there isn't any other noticable damage from dropping, etc

Yup you guys were right just got back from the Apple store with a NEW well refurb 3GS free of scratches in the plastic still.

My phone was in pretty good condition with no noticeable drops, even though I have dropped it plenty of times lol, so i lucked out.

Apple genius replaced my phone with no question, told him i take good care of my phone which i do. i had a full body shield on it so other than the crack it looked good. explained to him that i noticed the crack as i was applying a new invisibleshield, he gladly said "ahh yea this is one of those rare instances ill get ya a replacement"

lucked out big time as my warranty was up next week

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobright For This Useful Post:

sunshinejenn03 (2010-06-18)

iPhone? More like MyPhone sunshinejenn03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Yup you guys were right just got back from the Apple store with a NEW well refurb 3GS free of scratches in the plastic still.

My phone was in pretty good condition with no noticeable drops, even though I have dropped it plenty of times lol, so i lucked out.

Apple genius replaced my phone with no question, told him i take good care of my phone which i do. i had a full body shield on it so other than the crack it looked good. explained to him that i noticed the crack as i was applying a new invisibleshield, he gladly said "ahh yea this is one of those rare instances ill get ya a replacement"

lucked out big time as my warranty was up next week
    I have a crack in the same spot. My question is, do you have a pre-order in for the 4th gen? My warranty is up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03 View Post
    I have a crack in the same spot. My question is, do you have a pre-order in for the 4th gen? My warranty is up tomorrow.
    Nope, but i plan to preorder once i sell this one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobright View Post
    Nope, but i plan to preorder once i sell this one
    I was just thinking about it, and I figure it shouldn't really matter. I own the hardware, so they should cover it under warranty, no matter what I plan to do with it. Made an appt tonight. Glad I happened upon this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinejenn03 View Post
    I was just thinking about it, and I figure it shouldn't really matter. I own the hardware, so they should cover it under warranty, no matter what I plan to do with it. Made an appt tonight. Glad I happened upon this thread!
    Yea plus I doubt theyll be checking for if you have the new one preordered, theyll just be checking that you are still under warranty and if the phone doesnt look abused, have water damage etc.. Good luck

I find that extremely interesting that Apple even did that, usually they are really nasty about "cosmetic issues." I purchased a iPod last year from Best Buy and when I got around to unboxing it I noticed a piece of the chrome had been chipped off (either during it's born stage or packing...not sure which.) Best Buy would not replace it because it was after 14 days (I had gone out of town and didn't unbox it until I got back.)

So I called up Apple and they refused to do anything, except charge me a 200.00 replacement fee. I find that strange that they are replacing iPhones with cosmetic damage and not charging you...actually I find it strange they are replacing them period!

So I sold the damn thing on eBay for 50 bucks less and went out and had to repurchase another one. I still ask myself why I keep supporting this company when they clearly don't deserve it...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,182 Times in 915 Posts

I think it is mainly because the hairline cracks were a known minor issue.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Thanks

I ended up not keeping my appointment. I decided that I could probably get more money for a perfectly working iPhone with a small hairline crack on it over a refurbished iPhone on eBay. I could be wrong, but it's all good. My iPhone 4 is already paid for, so this sale is just going to subsidize that.

well, i had my phone completely replaced after i sent it into apple and my damages was far worse then yours.
    the whole bottom bit where you plug it in was cracked and you could see into the phone and at the top of the phone was all scratch and dented all because i was angry and ditched it across the road.
    but i lied to apple over the phone that where was no damages or anything and they sent me a brand new phone. maybe i was very lucky.

also the way apple check if an iphone was damaged by a person is
    if you look into where you plug in your headphone, if you see a red dot it means they wont replace it, same goes if there is a red dot at the bottom of the phone at where you plug it into the adapter.
    (sources) Own experience with an apple employee
    Last edited by markjo12; 2010-06-20 at 03:42 AM.

I had mine replaced for the same crack about a month ago. Even had triggered water sensors. I was up front with them about that and since the crack had nothing to do with water damage they replaced it anyway.

They're stock aren't refurbs. They are new just provisioned for warranty claims. At least that's the way the genius explained it. Nowhere on the phone does it indicate a refurb.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Same thing with my girlfriends phone. Had water damage and rice didnt work so in a last ditch effort I used a hairdryer (bad idea) which heated the headphone jack which expanded and cracked the casing. When she took it into apple they knew it was water damaged but the girl was super nice and said she could replace it because the case was cracked. They gave her a new phone which like baneonrt said is a new phone not a refurb, its just from their stock of replacement phones they have to give to people.

If the serial number starts with 5K, it's a refurb. Not new.

You might've gotten lucky about the water damage. Most of the time, they will refuse replacement