Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Contract Free iPhone 4G

Default Contract Free iPhone 4G
    How does this works? I've heard people say that you can buy the new iphone with a contract for $600 & $700. How does this work? Do you just go into apple and tell them that you want an iPhone without a contract?

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

You have to be an existing AT&T customer or sign up for a prepaid plan and pay retail pricing. You cant just get the phone by itself, in the US I mean.

The "no contract" part just means for AT&T customers they dont have to sign another 2 years to their plan.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-17 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    You have to be an existing AT&T customer or sign up for a prepaid plan and pay retail pricing. You cant just get the phone by itself, in the US I mean.

The "no contract" part just means for AT&T customers they dont have to sign another 2 years to their plan.
    Wrong. You can go to an Apple store and purchase an iPhone at the no commitment price without already having or signing up for any contract. Did it every year since the original iPhone.
    iPhone 4 32GB JB & Unlocked w/ T-Mobile

Your wrong this year there not doing that please read more.

i thought they did

Um an iphone running on sprint's 4g network lol

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

hahahaha the first gen iphone was never sold without contract. ever. and you can buy a new iphone for yes 6-7-8 hundred dollars with out one. att would never sell a pre paid line an iphone for any discount. buy it from Europe if you want a truely unlocked device america f yeh, is stuck to att, with out an unlock. or i hear Canada may have some unlocked devices but they will cost a fortune. i hate stupid posts..drizzzunkssssssyesssss
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Quote Originally Posted by JRML970 View Post
    Wrong. You can go to an Apple store and purchase an iPhone at the no commitment price without already having or signing up for any contract. Did it every year since the original iPhone.
    I was told by 2 stores that I couldnt do that. I was told that they would have to active it in-store.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

you kinda have to know At&T.. buy from canada or europe no unlock needed
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

anyone know where I could buy one of the Canadian phones and getting it shipped to Cali?

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    hahahaha the first gen iphone was never sold without contract. ever. and you can buy a new iphone for yes 6-7-8 hundred dollars with out one. att would never sell a pre paid line an iphone for any discount. buy it from Europe if you want a truely unlocked device america f yeh, is stuck to att, with out an unlock. or i hear Canada may have some unlocked devices but they will cost a fortune. i hate stupid posts..drizzzunkssssssyesssss
    Really cause my three 2G iPhones, that I paid cash for back in 2007 without a contract, seem to think otherwise. Not to mention the dozens of articles dating back to 07 confirming my position. As far as Canada having the iPhone 4 factory unlocked, that's correct. And it will be cheaper for those in the US to buy from Canada than Europe (Unlocked iPhone 4 Price Predictions for Canada: $649/$749 | iPhone in Canada Blog - Tips, Tricks, News, and Tutorials for Canadian iPhone Users). Maybe have some facts before making your statements. And I hate stupid posts as well.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

Sorry, but you probably got lucky. In the US, sales of Apple iPhones without being with AT&T is a breach in Apple's contract to AT&T.

There are official guidelines by Apple that says what you can or cannot do when it comes to upgrading/buying iPhone 4 for retail price.

You think I didnt do as much research as possible? Just cuz you got 2G phones the way you did doesnt mean it works that way now. Call an Apple store and confirm that you can do that before coming in and trying to disprove someone.

I suppose i and the other 5 MMi members who spoke on this subject are wrong as well.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-06-17 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Anniex423 View Post
    Sorry, but you probably got lucky. In the US, sales of Apple iPhones without being with AT&T is a breach in Apple's contract to AT&T.

There are official guidelines by Apple that says what you can or cannot do when it comes to upgrading/buying iPhone 4 for retail price.

You think I didnt do as much research as possible? Just cuz you got 2G phones the way you did doesnt mean it works that way now. Call an Apple store and confirm that you can do that before coming in and trying to disprove someone.

I suppose i and the other 5 MMi members who spoke on this subject are wrong as well.
    Not trying to argue, but just validating what the other poster said. In '07, Apple sold the original iPhone on the online store as a refurb with NO AT&T contrat. That's how I originally got mine and got into the JB/Unlock community.

I've read that you can go into stores such as Best Buy and buy the phone straight up when it's released. But, the majority are saying that a current AT&T contract is required, even if you're buying unsubsidized.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Buy the unsubsidized phone, pay the one month of data and voice then cancel it. Wait for an unlock to come out and there you go do whatever you want.

Retired Moderator
    Thanks

^ditto. Thats the easiest way.

Btw, we are talking about iphone 4 not the original iphone, so being this is now and that was then, the same rules dont always apply. I have read on Apple and AT&T sites that no iPhone 4 will be sold without current existing plan with AT&T, signing up with AT&T new, or getting the month-to-month service. Unless you can verify that everybody can walk into best buy or Apple and get an iPhone 4 for retail price without being an already AT&T customer or signing up with AT&T in any way, dont go around saying you can do it because you yourself have done it in the past.

Walk into a store and do so for the iPhone 4 and we will talk. I dont see why Apple and AT&T would lie on their sites/interviews about this.

My second post wasn't directed towards you or anyone else on this thread other than screamforme02. It's always been the case that at all the online stores that sell the iPhone it states that you need a contract (existing or new) to purchase an iPhone. If you try to go to an AT&T retail store they will not sell you an iPhone without a contract. However, every year of a new iPhone release you've been able to go to an Apple retail store and purchase an iPhone at the no-commitment pricing, without a contract. Each time Apple happily grabbed me a new iPhone, charged me the respective prices, and let me go on my way. With the new iPhone 4 release it is showing no differences than past years regarding what all the online sites say pertaining to having a contract to purchase a iPhone. Therefore, I see no evidence that makes me believe other than what has been the past iPhone launches. Only time will tell the truth but for now I stand with my original statement.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I'm just stating that with the 2g you could buy it without any contact/contract/service with AT&T. I purchased mine from Apple.com when there was no AT&T even in Alaska. We had Cellular One and I sat on my iphone for a few weeks before I figured out how to unlock it and use Cellular One.

Still on the waiting list to get mine (waited for the JB/Unlock announcement). But thought I'd share for all those who said I was wrong and to anyone who was unsure if it was possible. No hard feelings . Apple, iPhone & iPad Forums | ModMyi.com

Umm, I bought the iPhone 2G without contract at the Apple store for 400 bucks when it came out, so no idea what you're talking about, haha.