Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: >> how to only BACKUP/RESTORE only text messages THROUGH iTunes?? << +pic inside

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Default >> how to only BACKUP/RESTORE only text messages THROUGH iTunes?? << +pic inside
    Hey guys,
    so I was just wondering if any of you here could help me out. I have been researching for quite a while, but havent fully been able to come up with the exact solution.

What I want to do is do a custom back up that would ONLY back up my text messages, so I could essentially have a completely wiped-clean phone with texts.
    The reasoning behind this is that I have noticed that some of the other data that is attached to my back ups that are currently loaded onto my iPhone have slowed it down significantly (compared to a brand new iPhone 3GS) including jailbroken data (some of which has been also saved into my backups in iTunes) from DAY 1.

Afterall-- i do have over 3 years of text messages, photos, videos, files, etc... restored onto my iPhone. I just want a fresh start.
    YES, i am aware of those applications on the internet that allow you to view/save various files from your iPhone onto your computer, but I dont want that. I want to be able to do this from iTunes so I can essentially start my own new backup file for the new year.

I found a little thread somebody posted up at a different site:
    Restore SMS history from one phone to another - Mac OS X Hints
    and the first post pretty much explains how to do it, but the thing is-- if you scroll all the way to the bottom of that thread, the final post shows the correct way to do it.

It requires going into your backup folder (located ~/library > application support > mobile sync > backup)
    and copying a few files, two of which that start with
    "3d0d7e"....
    too bad I can only find ONE file that starts with that.

im curious if anybody else has investigated this / have successfully done this task?
    this would be amazing if you can help me out. I want to start fresh!
    I dont want 4 years of erroneous data loaded up to my new iPhone 4

thanks for your help!
    Last edited by ForumSnoBorderRK; 2010-06-18 at 01:16 AM. Reason: .
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Thanks

i just attempted to do this using the only file i found (listed above)
    and it didnt work...
    -[r]

Go to /User/Library/

Copy the entire SMS folder onto your desktop and just restore that when you get the new phone.

Thanks

there is no SMS folder in User/Library....
    i dont know if im missing something, but ive been searching and have no idea where this folder is.
    -[r]

He means ssh into the /private/var/mobile/Library/SMS/

that definitely works.

you can also grab "phoneview" for mac, or "iphone pc suite" for windows to do the trick.

Another thing that looks good is "decipher textmessages" however i can't find a pc equivalent.

Anyone know any other ways to open the sms.db on a computer?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to willpower101 For This Useful Post:

dh0licious (2010-08-06)

Guys sorry a bit off topic but since you're all on the right track anyway...

What location/folder would I have to backup to be able to simply paste back to my iPhone after restore to keep my camera roll? Is there a folder with all photos such as there is for Address book and SMS (/private/var/mobile/Library/)?

well, the photos are actually just on the device when it's mounted as a hard drive and will work just fine that way. However I think they actually have a folder, which i dont' know the name of of the top of my head

nvm... google returned this for me

"After you connect to your iPhone, go “/User/Media/DCIM/100APPLE” folder. All your photos in camera roll are stored in this folder."

there's pretty much a folder for everything as it's a unix based os.

There is also a folder for the address boook. You're going to have to google that one yourself, but i just saw it earlier today.

ssh pwns.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to willpower101 For This Useful Post:

dh0licious (2010-08-06)

Legend thankyou very much.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
    well, the photos are actually just on the device when it's mounted as a hard drive and will work just fine that way. However I think they actually have a folder, which i dont' know the name of of the top of my head

nvm... google returned this for me

"After you connect to your iPhone, go “/User/Media/DCIM/100APPLE” folder. All your photos in camera roll are stored in this folder."

there's pretty much a folder for everything as it's a unix based os.

There is also a folder for the address boook. You're going to have to google that one yourself, but i just saw it earlier today.

ssh pwns.