Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Get an iPhone 4 Discounted Without Upgrade Eligibility

Default How to Get an iPhone 4 Discounted Without Upgrade Eligibility
    I'm searching for ways to do this. I called in a couple times to customer service requesting to cancel my service yesterday since Sprint has better deals, and a guy spent 20 minutes trying to talk me down from the ledge, and I almost had him change my upgrade eligibility date (which is 03/2011), but he ended trying to send me to a store first.

My new idea, which I need your help with whether this is feasible or not, is to add a line with a new iPhone 4, and then swap my number from my 3GS to the 4 and cancel the new line in a week or so. Is that possible? My current termination fee is only $125, so if worst case scenario is I have to pay my current termination fee, it still comes out cheaper than the $399 or $499 they are charging me to upgrade right now...unless there is a worse case scenario.

Any experience or insight on this??

Well if u add aline for the i4 u will then sign a new contract with a 325 cancelation fee which goes down for 10 for each full month. the mean if u buy the phone for 199 or 299 and cancel that line just add 325+ the 26 dollar activation fee and another 10 dollars for that months service plus taxs. That equals = 560-or 660 depending on the model which is still cheaper than the out right price. But u cant cancel a line until the first 30 days of service or u will receive a bill for the out right price of the phone. U do save money adding aline but its a lot of hastle with atts cancelation department and all the other bs that comes along with it so is hours on the phone worth 40 bucks max for u? Or u can keep the new line and number lose ur unlimted data and get out of ur contract for 125 and and only be out 350 or 450.. One again u loss your data ul tho. So those are u options hoped i helped and answered your question.
    Last edited by Cowboy; 2010-06-16 at 09:11 PM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lothariorowe View Post
    I'm searching for ways to do this. I called in a couple times to customer service requesting to cancel my service yesterday since Sprint has better deals, and a guy spent 20 minutes trying to talk me down from the ledge, and I almost had him change my upgrade eligibility date (which is 03/2011), but he ended trying to send me to a store first.

My new idea, which I need your help with whether this is feasible or not, is to add a line with a new iPhone 4, and then swap my number from my 3GS to the 4 and cancel the new line in a week or so. Is that possible? My current termination fee is only $125, so if worst case scenario is I have to pay my current termination fee, it still comes out cheaper than the $399 or $499 they are charging me to upgrade right now...unless there is a worse case scenario.

Any experience or insight on this??
    Try it and let me know, I be in the same boat

Retired Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yup^ smartphone lines automatically get the ETF of $325 not $125. The only thing you can do is ask to see if they will allow you to upgrade early if you sign two more years with them.

Or you could do as you suggested and open a new line with the iPhone 4, then cancel your current line for $125 assuming it is not also on a smartphone plan. Dunno of that would work, they might catch on :P

You do that an you loose your unlimited data plan (if that concerns you even). I would rather pay that then loose my data plan especially once 3g unrestricter is going with face time + netflix app on my phones.