Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4: Can someone please clear up the hd video recording?

Default iPhone 4: Can someone please clear up the hd video recording?
    I'm trying to figure out what the file size would be (PER MINUTE OF VIDEO SHOOTING) if recording in HD at 720p on the new iPhone? All these numbers and figures people are throwing out all over the place is too confusing. Can we please get some plain, english numbers?

Thanks

I'm asking cause it's the deciding factor for me whether I order 16 or 32 GB.

hey man i have seen on a site a person who did the math and calculation and a few people post on here.

it all depends on the compression rate apple uses with the HD Video.

when all is said in done, i have seen 1 min (with a compress of about 60:1, varies) go anywhere from 70 MB a minute to 130 MB a minute.

hope that clears it up!

Yea thanks for that, def helps! Does that max number (130MB/minute) also equal out to about 4GB per hour? I multiplied 130X60 but it gave me 7800...that can't possibly be right lol. I don't put music on my phone and only store about 500MB's in pics and very few apps, so I'm going with the 16GB version to save 100 bucks. I just wanted to make sure I'd have some decent recording space for video (which more then likely will be transfered to my computer and wiped off the phone.

Yea thanks for that, def helps! Does that max number (130MB/minute) also equal out to about 4GB per hour? I multiplied 130X60 but it gave me 7800...that can't possibly be right lol. I don't put music on my phone and only store about 500MB's in pics and very few apps, so I'm going with the 16GB version to save 100 bucks. I just wanted to make sure I'd have some decent recording space for video (which more then likely will be transfered to my computer and wiped off the phone.
    1 gigabyte = 1024 megabytes

so 130x8 = 1040 megabytes. 8 minutes= 1gb 8x8= 64 minutes so.

8 gigs gets you about an hour of HD VIDEO.

now, that is assuming that it will take 130MB per minute, which on a site and person who did the calculation i remember reading it was about 73MB per minute he said, which drastically changes how much you get.

73x14 = 1022 megabytes. so every 14 minutes = 1GB of HD VIDEO.

to make this math easier i will round to 15.

so 1 hour of HD video at 72MB a minute = 4GB* roughly.

hope that breaks it down and helps

Also, i don't know about most. but my music takes about 5gb (music i actually enjoy listening and don't skip through) and pictures about 2GB give or take as i delete when i upload to my pc. thats 7 gb knocked off with about 7gb left( assuming you have 16gb model, on the 3gs only about 14.3gb is available free space). i dont plan on taking hours of HD video at a time. but lets say i did.

i can take an hour of HD video, clips whatever. and still have 3GB left for whatever else, be it apps or whatever.

that is definitely enough space for me.

i frequently sync my iphone, so removing items to open up space is no problem, and i don't know about you guys, but i come home every night with a little spare time, my iphone needs charged overnight anyways, so why not sync it up and delete some stuff if your that worried, or throw down 100 more dollars. haha
    Last edited by Mag1c; 2010-06-15 at 01:44 AM.

Yeah man that is what I was wanting to hear...16GB it is then! I can use the extra 100 for something else, why spend it when I'll never use it?

Thanks again!

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

im going with the 16gig i have an 8gig 3g and never come close to using all that space, i do have an ipod with most of my music. although i do use my iphone for new music i just downloaded so i can listen to it and weed out the crap i dont want on my pod. iphone will never have enough space for my music and i suppose it would be a waste cause i have an ipod
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!