Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why is my phone doing this?

Default Why is my phone doing this?
    So the last few weeks my iphone 3gs on 3.1.3 has been losing service. Sometimes it will work fine for a few days then do this, other times it will do this a few times in one day.

I cant seem to get a picture of it when does it but it will say "No service" Then a message will pop up saying "Iphone cannot make or receive calls. Restore needed"

I've tried restoring the phone multiple times, but that is not fixing it.

Im on AT&T, Not jailbroken anymore. The phone will reactivate if i restart it a bunch of times. Iam SO SICK of it doing this. Why does it keep doing it? Im thinking its a hardware issue, but not 100% sure.

Any input?

I've read that after restoring the iphone i should try to setup as new, and not restore from backup. Can anyone confirm that this would work?
    Last edited by ks503; 2010-06-14 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

Setting it up as a new phone is always the best way to resolve issues. Using a backup is just putting th problem back into the phone.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

ks503 (2010-06-14)

Thanks for the response. You have been thanked.

I do have another question.

Setting the iphone up as new will obviously not put my numbers and pictures back on the phone. So will just syncing with itunes bring all that stuff back on the phone?

I had iphones ever since the first one was brought out and have never used the "setup as new iphone" option, so i would just like to make sure...

Thanks

Setting it up as new will still put your contacts back in the phone and all your apps. Pictures can be put back in if you have them saved to your computer. What will be missing is any notes, game saves, passwords for apps ect.., wifi connections, and phone settings that you previously had.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captinsmooth For This Useful Post:

ks503 (2010-06-14)

Oh ok well i didnt know that. I will restore the phone again and give it a try. Thanks.

Ok so setting up as new iphone didnt save any numbers, even after syncing. I had to restore from backup to get my numbers back.
    Last edited by ks503; 2010-06-15 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just write the numbers down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ks503 View Post
    Oh ok well i didnt know that. I will restore the phone again and give it a try. Thanks.

Ok so setting up as new iphone didnt save any numbers, even after syncing. I had to restore from backup to get my numbers back.

when you restore it to new you have to recheck all the things you want to sync in itunes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zystem View Post
    Just write the numbers down.
    That would be the obvious answer, but when you have over 100 phone numbers that will take a while.

Well i took it to ATT and they popped a new sim card into. Still doing the same thing. I have an appt at apple store in about 30 mins, well see what they say.

Im guessing they probably wont replace it due to it having a few scratches on it. Ill probably be SOL.
    Last edited by ks503; 2010-06-15 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It would have took you less time to write down the numbers than to do what you just did.

Quote Originally Posted by Zystem View Post
    It would have took you less time to write down the numbers than to do what you just did.
    Thanks man you helped a lot.

Anyway Apple ended up replacing the whole phone for free! He also said there was a little water damage but he went ahead and replaced it anyway, I really didn't think they would at all. He said most likely it sim card reader was faulty.

Well it all worked out. Thanks to those that tried to help.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

if you have synced with pc all the contacts are there you just need to sync contacts after setting up as new phone
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!