Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP: Upgrade To iPhone 4 Without Data Plan??

Default HELP: Upgrade To iPhone 4 Without Data Plan??
    okay so there are alot of questions like this on the forums, but i think mine might be a little different or worded differently.

okay so right now im using an iphone 3g without a data plan. jailbroken and such. and im eligible for an upgrade. so when the iphone 4 comes out ill only pay the $200. but how can i get the iphone 4 and not have to pay for the data plan?

heres what i thought i could do. i could upgrade to the iphone for 200 and sign up for the cheapest data plan. then later cancel it and say im switching to a different phone or something. or i gave it to family member or something. then jailbreak the iphone 4 when its released and activate it that way.

thus id end up with and jailbroken activated iphone 4 without a data plan. maybe have to pay for a month of the data plan or something or a small fee. but theoretically is this possilbe?

thanks

how are you on AT&T now without a data plan? just because you're jailbroken isn't the answer. what's really going on?

I bought an iPhone and when I jailbroke it it was actiavted. I'm not paying for a data plan at all

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

In theory it sounds like a good idea but just because your phone is unlocked if you are using AT&T they will still know you are using an iphone and tag back on the data charges.

AT&T knows I have an iPhone now. it shows up on there website as one, but I still don't have a data plan. didn't when I used to have a 2G and now the same with a 3G. so I don't see why it won't work for a the 4 or any smart phone. hope this works...iPhone without a data plan is really cheap. I can live with just wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Organdoner View Post
    AT&T knows I have an iPhone now. it shows up on there website as one, but I still don't have a data plan. didn't when I used to have a 2G and now the same with a 3G. so I don't see why it won't work for a the 4 or any smart phone. hope this works...iPhone without a data plan is really cheap. I can live with just wifi
    Me too. I have a 3GS right now and have been using it on AT&T for 7 months WITHOUT a data plan. When I go to AT&T's website, it shows that i'm using an iPhone but they still havent' started my data plan. I guess they just dont care anymore or that maybe we're one of the few lucky ones. Anyway so my brother also had been using a 3G without a data plan for 5 months and then he decided to upgrade it to 3GS, well guess what? AT&T tagged him with a data plan and now he's paying an additional 30 a month for the plan... so I think if you upgrade to iphone 4, AT&T will SURELY add the data plan to your subscription...

I am also thinking of upgrading mine to iphone 4, but that means i'll have to get a data plan with at&t which sucks. I'll probably just get one of the cheap data plans i guess.

i did this with the 3gs release, buy the phone, call att on the same day and tell them you sold the phone, they well not charge you for data use because they adjust price according to how long you've had it, then get another phone and place the iphone sim in there and tell them the phones iphone imei number, you can find out what yours is simply through text, then you are all done, and the iphone data plan will be removed, and you can put your iphone right back in your iphone and it will work, also after i had this done i had all data blocked, so it was impossible for them to charge me of using any type of data and it helps in them not knowing your using an iphone without an iphone. They only way they could possibly find out is you call them, and when you call them the type of phone you are calling from shows up
    I know i've successfully done it and i use to work at an att call center for a little while. I'm basically gonna be doing that when i get ihpone 4

Organdoner, join the club. I have been using my 3G with just a media plan and changed the APN on it. It has been working great. I want the 4G, but afraid the my find out. But, I'm going to man up and take the chance, and do the same step I did to my 3G.

Thanks

If you buy the iPhone 4 for the contract price you will have to have the data plan. If you buy it outright, then you can keep your existing setup.

Simtech, I see were you are coming from. But wont AT&T run scripts on IMEI's of people using iPhones. And then put them on the data plan

hey guys bad news. I just got this text from AT&T (1113000): AT&T Free Msg: Did you know a data plan is required for your iPhone? For whatever reason, our records indicate your iPhone did not have the correct data plan. We have added the appropriate data plan. Call 611 or go to att.com/iPhoneplans for info.

went online and checked my account. and the iPhone unlimited data for $30 was checked.

think I should put my sim in my razor and call and cancel my plan? say I sold it?

just my luck the week I put this post =\ lol

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Organdoner View Post
    hey guys bad news. I just got this text from AT&T (1113000): AT&T Free Msg: Did you know a data plan is required for your iPhone? For whatever reason, our records indicate your iPhone did not have the correct data plan. We have added the appropriate data plan. Call 611 or go to att.com/iPhoneplans for info.

went online and checked my account. and the iPhone unlimited data for $30 was checked.

think I should put my sim in my razor and call and cancel my plan? say I sold it?

just my luck the week I put this post = lol
    Hate to say I told ya so lol. You could do the razor thing but it will only be a matter of time before they find out again. AT&T has really been cracking down hard the past couple months on people with iPhones w/out data plans

haha yea.. =\ sucks! but is there a better way of doing this? i have the unlockit apn settings and blocked data to my phone but what else can i do to prevent this? i have so many friends and family who are doing the same thing as me with the same exact phone and they havent had this happen to them.