Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes refuses to sync my iPhone, suggests I restore or setup as new???

Default iTunes refuses to sync my iPhone, suggests I restore or setup as new???
    Does anyone have any idea why all of a sudden, when I connect my iPhone to my Mac and open the iTunes, iTunes is now insisting that I either setup my iPhone as a new iPhone or restore from a backup???

I've been using the same iPhone 3GS for many months now, and I've been syncing with the same iTunes library the whole time. Nothing has changed… I've not installed any new apps (jailbroken or app store), I've not connected to another iTunes library or computer, etc, etc… no changes at all!

My iPhone is jailbroken, though it has been jailbroken for months now and it has always synced seamlessly with iTunes.

I've tried restarting my iPhone, restarting iTunes, restarting my Mac… not really sure what else I can try doing to resolve this issue…

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

Has nobody got a solution for this????? I have this issue at the moment and dont know what to do.

First step, before anything else: SSH, backup everything you need to.
    Second step: Select "set up as new device" and UNCHECK all "automatic sync" options at the next screen.

This SHOULD put you back on the normal sync options screen, where you'll have to go to each tab and reselect your settings to be exactly the same as they were before (yes, that does mean checking each app individually).
    Click sync, and it should takes about 10 minutes, before leaving your device in the same state it was.

Green Apple
    Thanks

can you please explain the first step?

Also will the second step completely erase my iphone???

I had this issue and followed instructions in another forum. Click to restore as new but once it starts disconnect USB from your phone. Restart iTunes and all should be fine again. Worked for me and no loss of anything with iTunes fine ever since. Do not restore. You do not need to. Let me know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by jarviss View Post
    I had this issue and followed instructions in another forum. Click to restore as new but once it starts disconnect USB from your phone. Restart iTunes and all should be fine again. Worked for me and no loss of anything with iTunes fine ever since. Do not restore. You do not need to. Let me know how you get on.
    I'm having the same issue. When I followed the suggested steps iTunes attempted to upgrade my 3gs to 4.1, then restore it. Obviously I did not proceed and I was not given the option to opt out of the upgrade

You don't get an option to opt out!!! My post says "once it starts remove USB from phone". You just pull the cable out, interrupting the restore and you're sorted. Don't know if you've past the point of no return or not. But my post as stated did completely fix my issue with no consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by jarviss View Post
    You don't get an option to opt out!!! My post says "once it starts remove USB from phone". You just pull the cable out, interrupting the restore and you're sorted. Don't know if you've past the point of no return or not. But my post as stated did completely fix my issue with no consequences.
    Hi Jarviss - I wasn't anticipating the forced upgrade when I restored. I just cancelled the process and wanted to get clarification before moving on. Just being uber cautious is all. I'll give it another try and pull the plug before it can do the upgrade.

Good stuff hope it works for you. You've nothing to lose at this stage. Let me know. Good luck.