Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPhone going back to glass front

Unhappy New iPhone going back to glass front
    According to Jobs' speech today, the new iPhone is going back to having a glass front. Part of the justification was to prevent scratches, but anyone who owned a 2G knows how prone it was to getting scratched. If you didn't use a screen protector, your screen was going downhill fast. I have a 3GS now and have never used a screen protector and after 10 months my screen still looks essentially new.

If I recall correctly, Apple switched to a poly-something front instead of glass to prevent scratches and fingerprints. Now, a year later, they're saying that the new iPhone will have a glass front to prevent scratches?

Did anyone else catch that? Thoughts?
    Last edited by skizo; 2010-06-07 at 09:06 PM.

Well I always liked the screen quality on my 2g then my 3gs as for scratches I would say glass is probably harder to scratch then plastic or whatever the 3gs uses.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think you have it backwards. They changed to the glass with the 3gs which is more scratch resistant than the 2g and 3g

Quote Originally Posted by skizo View Post
    According to Jobs' speech today, the new iPhone is going back to having a glass front. Part of the justification was to prevent scratches, but anyone who owned a 2G knows how prone it was to getting scratched. If you didn't use a screen protector, your screen was going downhill fast. I have a 3GS now and have never used a screen protector and after 10 months my screen still looks essentially new.

If I recall correctly, Apple switched to a poly-something front instead of glass to prevent scratches and fingerprints. Now, a year later, they're saying that the new iPhone will have a glass front to prevent scratches?

Did anyone else catch that? Thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Actually you ALL have it wrong lol. The iPhone has always had a glass front. It's the same on the first gen and the 3G. On the 3GS they put an oil resistant (oleophobic) coating on it.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

If you to go apple.com, watch the video they have up for the iphone already. It discusses the design features and materials used (including the the glass backing...notice the portion of the resistance test)

Apple - iPhone 4 - Design of the display, A4 processor, and more
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbourn View Post
    If you to go apple.com, watch the video they have up for the iphone already. It discusses the design features and materials used (including the the glass backing...notice the portion of the resistance test)

thats a great video. really puts the design into prespective

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

I was gonna say the just used a new stronger glass in the new phone. It's always been glass cause trying to replace can get a little sharp

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbourn View Post

Ah, ok.

Thanks for that.