Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: couple of questions regarding syncing with new laptop

Default couple of questions regarding syncing with new laptop
    all the songs is in my ext hdd which is connected to my lappy right now. What I want to know is

1)if for apps, ringtones etc I leave the sync box unticked in itunes in my new lappy, after I synced, will all the apps and etc be wiped off from my phone?

2)The songs that is in my phone are all in a playlist. Is there anywhere to transfer this playlist over to my new lappy's itunes, so I can just add new songs that i want into this playlist and sync back to my phone without losing any data?

I've already authorized this new laptop to my itunes account already and I've copied my whole backup folder to my ext hdd but I have no idea as to how I should proceed on from here.

Sorry if my questions are a bit confusing.

for songs you could use podtoPC. for apps you should be able to just right click on the iphone and tell it to transfer purchases.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

With iTunes closed(on the new PC) copy the old iTunes folder that was in your Music folder to the new Music folder of the new PC. I don't know how you sync your contacts. I use Outlook so I transfer my contacts using their exporting feature.

all the songs are stored in my ext hdd. I've already chosen the location of the songs in the ext hdd as my media folder in itunes(new laptop). So I should have no problems right?

regarding my first qns, if i leave the sync boxes unticked for apps and videos, will the apps and vids be deleted from my phone?

help anyone?

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

If you leave them unticked then they will be wiped from your phone. You can redownload the apps for free though.

But I have the whole backup folder in this external hdd, is there anything I can to or settings I can adjust in my itunes so my itunes can detect this backup folder and thus detecting all my previous vids and apps?