Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which restore firmware to use???

Question Which restore firmware to use???
    Hiya,
    I bought an iPhone from reputable shop in Doha, Qatar, Middle East in Jan 2008. The shop imports them from the USA so it is AT&T. I was told by a friend at work not to upgrade because of the license stranglehold Apple were placing on software. I got back to UK and used another phone. The other day I decided to chance the update and go from there rather than have it sat in a drawer.
    OK...it got blocked!
    I have managed to get it back to restore point in iTunes via PwnageTool but now got to the stage where iTunes is now asking me which firmware restore file to use.Tried two already which were rejected as incompatible. Anyone know which file I should use???
    Being layman grunt...I don't know if the phone is 2G or 3G or what firmware was originally in it! (Have a faint recollection that the version began with 2.xxxxxxxetc.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Don.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Excel Wiz's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay. First off, is the back of the phone silver/black or either all white/all black?

MacBook Pro 15" Core i7|4GB|500GB|HiRes
    iPhone 4 16GB
    iPhone 3G 8GB

Hi Guy,
    thanks for answering.
    It's silver and black 8GB. When I first got the phone I could use any sim. Now it just says that the sim isn't supported by any Carrier.

Don.

Sorry...forgot to mention. Since posting the first question I managed to use restore in iTunes after using a firmware file I found on the net (iphone 1.1_3.1_7C144Restore.ipsw). I wasn't sure if this was the correct file but iTunes accepted it. After iTunes finished the restore with that file I still cant get the apps up as it says that the sim inside is not supported whereas before the phone would take any sim.

Don
    Last edited by donrachliz; 2010-06-06 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost