Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: I can't edit com.apple.springboard.plist.

Unhappy I can't edit com.apple.springboard.plist.
    I am running 3.1.3 on 3GS with Spirit Jailbreak. Recently I experienced that the automatic dim of the backlight did not work anymore. Normally the screen would dim before the backlight went off - but now, the screen would go directly to no backlight (after 1 min that it is set to). I read in a forum, that to solve that issue, one has to edit the com.apple.springboard.plist file in the preference folder. In that plist file, one can change the autodim function.

I found the plist file using iFile. I could open the file, the file looked "normal", but when I tried to edit the file, I got an error saying: "XML parser error..... Old-style list parser error... etc." Then I copied the file to my pc - and suddenly it looked like coding language when I tried opening the file. I then found an old backup of the com.apple.springboard.plist that I could open, it looked "normal" and I could edit the autodim. I transferred that to the iPhone and replaced the old one - and rebooted.

Now my problem with the autodim was solved. When I checked the file with iFile - it looked normal. But once again, I could not edit the file!! Then I tried deleting the file and rebooted. And it regenerated a new plist file - but I still canít edit it using iFile, - and when I transfer the file to my pc - it looks like coding language.

I got my problem solved, but if there is something that is corrupting my com.apple.springboard.plist file - I will probably get other problems. So, is the plist file acting as it is supposed to? or is it being corrupted??

Thanks

You would need to install a plist editing program to be able to view and edit plists on a pc.

Well, I have been succesfully editing plist files with Wordpad. And in the case with autodim, I had an old backup of the com.apple.springboard.plist from before spirit jailbrake, that I could open, it looked "normal" and I could edit the autodim. After having copied it to the iphone - all is fine, except that the plist file then can't be edited anymore. My point is, that if I did not have had the backup - I could not have fixed the autodim, because of the bahavior of my current plist file.

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

You can't edit the file while it is on the phone you need to copy it to computer and edit than copy back over

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    You can't edit the file while it is on the phone you need to copy it to computer and edit than copy back over
    I did copy the file to computer, but when I opened it, it looked like coding language - and I could not edit it. (Luckily I had an old backup of the file, that I were able to edit, and copy to the phone. But if I copy that file back to the computer again - it ones again becomes non editble. I find that strange.....

Quote Originally Posted by screamforme02 View Post
    Actually, you can edit it on the phone with iFile. At least I can. I just checked. I am also on a 3G[S] 3.1.3 jb with Spirit, just like the OP.

@PPCBANDIT...Is your iFile updated? Is it a legit copy?

Thanks

Open the file either in Wordpad, not Notepad or with a plist editor.

My problem got solved. The reason was, that the format was in binary. I had to convert it to text format - and then I could make my changes. Apparently, iPhone will recognize and process the file normally whether it is in binary or text format.